Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

For SA ticket holders, I'd say this substitution is to be welcomed. As a performer, Jason excites me more than almost any other US skater in any discipline.
  2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Woo hoo, so excited to see another favorite in person!!!

(Who the heck am I supposed to root for, though? Could we please just have a 4-way tie for gold between Jason, Adam, Kozuka, and Takahashi??)
    dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  3. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I know it's been said before, but the men's field at SA is nuts. I feel like almost anything can happen.
  4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Fabulous news.
  5. Josh78

Josh78 New Member

If anyone has information for me, I would much appreciate it on this...I read (through another thread here on FSU) that Chris Reed actually skated at Nebelhorn Trophy with a torn meniscus in his right knee, and is looking into consults for possible surgery..this of course could really alter the Reeds' schedule on the GP (or completely take them out altogether..so unfortunate, it true!)...My question is..can anyone figure out who would be the likely substitutes for their assignments if they have to pull out? Thanks!
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Originally posted upthread:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ympic-Season&p=3986466&viewfull=1#post3986466

Dance:
    • 13-Coomes/Buckland (TEB)
    • 14-Stepanova/Bukin (SC)
    • 18-Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (NHK)
    • 19-Zlobina/Sitnikov (SC) (SA)
    • 21-Kolbe/Caruso (NHK)
    with 22-Guignard/Fabbri (SC) and Heekin-Canedy/Dun (RC) next in line.

------

If the Japanese Fed doesn't appoint one of their other dance teams -- we saw a couple of lower-level teams at BC Summerskate -- and they give up the spot, the alternates group will be used.

Sinitsina/Zhiganshin and Kolbe/Caruso are already there, and Coomes/Buckland skate in Paris the following week. If they go by strict groups, then it's between Stepanova/Bukin and Zlobina/Sitnikov. If they add in skaters to give the Japanese Fed a greater choice, then Guignard/Fabbri and maybe Heekin-Canedy/Dun would be added into the mix.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. Josh78

Josh78 New Member

Thanks for the info Kwanfan!
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sorry, I forgot the Reeds' Skate America assignment :eek:

Any of the skaters in the group of Top Five except Zlobina/Sitnikov, who are already assigned to SA, could go to Detroit, even the skaters at Skate Canada, since the trip is only from Detroit to New Brunswick. They might not want to, but it could be an advantage, especially since it's unlikely that any of them would make it to GPF, and they could have one break in their training for competitions instead of going back and forth and adjusting to different times zone. They'd already be adjusted to Eastern Time from Skate America. The Hubbell/Donohue are scheduled for SA and SC.

Since everyone in the Top Five and the next three have at least one, any GP assignment knocks them off the list, and whoever is left of the seven listed above will be the new Top Five alternates group, with Tobias/Stagniunas next in line to move into the group. Tobias/Stagniunas would be the first team outside the Top 24 SB.

ETA: Jason Brown is now listed for SA on the Men's listing dated 1 October.

Current Top Five Groups:

Pairs:
    • Purich/Tran (split couple, TEB)
    • Davis/Brubaker (returning split couple, SC)
    • 18-Matiusheva/Rogonov (CHN)
    • 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 29-Wang/Zhang (none)
    If Wang/Zhang are no longer a couple, then Della Monica/Guarise (TEB) is the fifth in the group, and Vartman/Van Cleave (SC) are on the bubble, followed by Kemp/King(none).

Men:
    • 23-Konstantin Menshov (NHK)
    • 25-Sergei Voronov (NHK)
    • 27-Andrei Rogozone (SC)
    • 28-Alexander Majorov (SA)
    • 31-Misha Ge (none)
    On the bubble: Elladj Balde (SC), followed by Zhan Bush (none)

Ladies:
    • 27-Imai (RC)
    • 31-Zhang (CoC)
    • 33- Gosviani
    • 34-Hicks (SC)
    • 35-Korobeynikova
      36-Elena Glebova (See hanca's correction below.)
    Sonia Lafuente Elena Gebova (none) is on the bubble, followed by Joshi Helgesson (CoC)Sonia Lafuente (none).
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

So where is Gosviani?
  10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Argh, I yellowed her out on my list as having two. She's between Zhang and Hicks, and Glebova's on the cusp. I'll go fix it.
  11. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

12. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Why? :confused:

I've always loved this pair, especially her fierceness and long lovely lines. And I think their "Titanic" is a signature piece for them. :hat1:
  13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

14. NadineWhite

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Simpson/Blackmer's names are crossed out in this Oct. 4th update: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4778

See post #408 above for the current, projected group of 5 pairs that are next in line based on the GP selection "rules."

ETA from the GP Announcement:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. NadineWhite

Thank you, Sylvia, I just now opened the file. :) I wonder whom will replace them? :confused:
  17. NadineWhite

Lol it's a bit over my head, and I'll just say CONGRATULATIONS to whomever gets the now opened up Rostelecom spot! :encore:
  18. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

yes, she is. And it is not going well. She skates mostly on one food because the doctor prohibited her to do edges on the other one. And she has to wait 2,5 more weeks before she sees the doctor again, so not to much time to get ready for COC. But we have to wait... to know more
    http://joshihelgesson.se/skada-2/
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I think you meant foot, right?... I was all ready to talk about bad eating habits before i realised it was an typo.

P.S. I know i have fa bigger mistakes, but food could also make sense here.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Jason Brown is one of the most exciting skaters in the history of figure skating, IMO.
  21. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I like him too but oooh, give him a little time. This feels uncomfortably like it borders on the kind of hype that melts into equally disproportionate dumping and disappointment should he not meet ever heightening expectations.
    Really and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

The thing is, I don't think it is possible for anyone who has seen Jason Brown skating live to dump on him or feel disappointed. People's enthusiasm for Brown has nothing to do with expectations for him to win this or that medal, but rather for qualities he's demonstrated since he was a tiny junior skater at Nationals. He has this irresistible charisma that's hard to pick up on video but lights up the arena. If you want to know what "connection with audience" is, just watch him skate live. He has an unquantifiable exuberance and genuine joy that is infectious and uplifting. He is a very special performer.
  23. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I guess there is always one, but I saw Jason Brown skate live in Oberstdorf and I wasn't blown away. He's a fine skater, no doubt, but all these proclamations about him being the saviour of figure skating are premature.

Oh and I thought his "Riverdance" was a bit dull. :shuffle:
  24. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I love Jason and his skating very much, but I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with some of the hype he's been getting. Let's just see what happens. The guy is only 18 and won't even be 19 under after the GPF.
  25. morqet

morqet Active Member

Same. He seemed to skate a bit "small". The Prince program was good, but Mae Berenice Meite used the same music in her SP this season, and I wouldn't say that Jason was wildly ahead of her in interpretation.
  26. jlai

jlai Title-less

Brown demonstrated v good skating skill and transitions on top of good interpretation in the Prince program.
    But I agree that in the sr men field he still needs to be faster bigger
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  27. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

To each his own. But I'm baffled by the "proclamations" that he will be "the savior of figure skating." Hasn't that already happened and his name is Patrick Chan?

Nobody is the savior of figure skating --- unless perhaps someone who can figure out a better way of judging this sport. I think it is rather pointless to wait for or search for a skater who is good at everything in figure skating. If you prefer faster and bigger skaters, there are Max Aaron or Javier Fernandez. Jason Brown cannot and (I predict) will not have everything, even in 10 years. He grew up in a skating club without world-class coaches and will never have the skating skills of Patrick Chan or the jumps of Hanyu. His specialty is performance. If that's not your thing, that's fine. He's not going to become great at everything so that everyone will love him.

Sideway digression: I am still surprised sometimes that in figure skating how nobody, even the best, can be good at everything. That someone like Gachinski can win silver at Worlds while I have met adult skaters with better skating skills just shows you how impossible it is to be a "well rounded" skater. If you want to pick someone apart you always can find something. Maybe that's why in figure skating complaints always outnumber praises and snark always overwhelms joy. The longer I've been a fan the more I seem to become jaded and cynical. At the 2011 US Nationals in Greensboro, the kid brought joy and fun and a love for skating to the spectators, me included. How many component points is it worth? Maybe none. But to me that's special.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I know what you mean. His programs and non jump elements are all so difficult and he does them with such ease and quality, all the whilst in keeping with the music.
  29. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:rofl: Mae Bernice is a great athlete, and she occassionally uses her arms to beautiful effect, but come on... :lol:
  30. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Really? :confused:
    Mind you, that was a year ago or so, but was totally unimpressed.
    Oh, well, I know I'm special.
  31. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

:blah: Special? Ha-ha!
  32. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

oops :duh: ok, that was really bad from me. Thanks for pointing out. Of course it's the foot.
    She does quite god for having only one skate in this vid from last week
    http://youtu.be/Y8phDYHyLCY
  33. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

According to the USFS international assignments page, Davis/Brubaker will replace Simpson/Blackmer at COR
  34. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Also according to the USFS tweet posted by Sylvia here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ates-Part-II&p=4013802&viewfull=1#post4013802

Updated alternates list:
    Pairs:

Purich/Tran (split couple, TEB)
    18-Matiusheva/Rogonov (CHN)
    22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    29-Wang/Zhang (none)
    32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

If Wang/Zhang are no longer a couple or were not submitted for GP's by the Chinese Fed, then Vartman/Van Cleave (SC) are the fifth team in the group, and Kemp/King (none) are on the bubble, followed by Calalang/Sidhu (none, currently assigned to Coupe de Nice). The latter two made the minimum GP technical scores last season.
  35. morqet

morqet Active Member

Yeah, actually. I watched them both live in the last week, and there wasn't much to choose between them as to how they used the music.
  36. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Wang/Zhang skated in the Chinese local competition this september http://chnfs.org/wp-content/uploads/...2014_NC_GP.pdf. They scored 40.56 for 7th place in the short program and wd from the free. I doubt they split, but they may be injured?
  37. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

This link is broken - oubik posted the link to this early September domestic Grand Prix competition in the Chinese news thread with the translated results here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-and-reports&p=3994428&viewfull=1#post3994428
  38. analia

analia Member

I don't find Jason Brown at all appealing. He is really not in the right direction of men's figure skating and will not have a successful career (my guess, it's possible he will never make a Worlds and USFSA's propaganda machine will never pick him as a favorite). I think this is rather very obvious and most of his fervent fans just don't want to admit it.

Last year's liebestraum drove me insane. This type of choreography just should NOT be for a aspiring senior male skater. This year's programs are even more sugary and cartoonish. I didn't think it was possible.
  39. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

40. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There was some talk here that they might have split, but obviously not, but those results don't sound very promising for a GP spot selection, if they are healthy. It's possible the Chinese Fed didn't submit them for GP selection -- it's rare for this to be publicized, and we usually only know if there's a article about it (Sandhu and Sokolova come to mind) -- which only matters in trying to figure out who is on the alternates list.