Grand Prix Assignments - 2013/14 Olympic Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

When will Russia announce their TBA Dance slot for Cup of Russia? Can't be long now, as there is usually a certain number of days prior to an event limit that a decision at least (if not an announcement) needs to be made. Given how Russia hosts their National championships in December (relatively close to the Grand Prix series) and Cup of Russia is a later event, I imagine this would be an important opportunity for the teams vying for that last GP slot.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

In the past few years, the TBA's have been announced by the very beginning of September, with the exception of France, hich until last season waited for an internal competition. The GP rosters are usually updated on Mondays (Switzerland time) if there are any changes, so tomorrow would be a good time to look.

3. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Russia's TBD spots goes to Gachinsky, Monko/K, Stolbova/Klimov, & Gosviani.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Remaining TBAs added on ISU site as of Sept. 2:

Rippon (SA), Besseghier (TEB), Gachinski (RC): http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4671

Cesario (SA), Bingwa Geng (CoC), Gosviani (RC): http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4670

Zhang/Bartholomay (SA), Xuehan Wang/Lei Wang (CoC), Popova/Massot (TEB), Stolbova/Klimov (RC): http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4669

Hubbell/Donohue (SA), Yiyi Zhang/Nan Wu (CoC), Papadakis/Cizeron (TEB), Monko/Khaliavin (RC): http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4668

First withdrawal/crossed out name: Yretha SILETE FRA (TEB) :(

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  5. analia

analia Active Member

Does France have another senior lady skater?

6. Sylvia

Lena MARROCCO is currently entered in the JGP in Gdansk, Poland, and could be switched to TEB.

7. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

French national champion Anais Ventard or Candice Didier are the only eligible ones that come to mind. I highly doubt that they get the spot.
    They are both on the roster for the Masters next month. Ventard is supposed to do a Senior B (forgot which one). She is such a beautiful skater and the Bercy crowd would love her. Hopefully, her time will come.
    I thought that Didier retired but she is on the roster, so she may have decided to go for another season.

Marrocco is listed for 2 JGP. She skated a 5 triple , 2A junior LP and a clean SP last month in Lyon. I guess that the strategy is to put her in the junior circuit this year.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I'm wondering if Laurine Lecavalier may be able to skate senior-level programs? Like Marrocco, she is assigned to the JrGP circuit now but, I think, is old enough to compete in Srs (16 or 17). She has so much 'star quality' and energy - wonderful if and when she lands her jumps. She's my favorite among ALL French singles ladies currently competing.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Don't the Federations need to submit "Junior" and "Senior" lists with no overlap (now that Pairs can't do both), and isn't it not allowed for someone on the "Junior" list to be moved to a GP? Or is there an exception for host spots, especially if the skater hasn't already competed already this season in JGP?

10. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

does anyone know, what's wrong with silethe? still injured, again injured, not in form? sad for her.

i think we see once more lena marrocco bouncing in the grand prix series.

11. Sylvia

My guess is the latter. Laurine Lecavelier already competed in the JGP in Latvia last week so is ineligible for GP; Marrocco hasn't competed on the JGP yet (though kirkbiggestfan's post above makes it sound like she is destined for the JGP this year).

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sad to see China and Japan still hasn't caught up in ice-dancing yet.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Reeds pulled up to Top 24 SB at WTT and are likely to be the top qualifying team at Nebelhorn. There were two low-scoring dance teams (one junior, one senior) at BC Summerskate, but they've got to start somewhere.

The Alternates lists look like this at the moment:

[*]27-Cesario (SA) -- Assigned to TEB to replace Silete (see Sylvia's post below)

Ladies:
    • 27-Imai (RC)
    • 30-Popova
    • 31-K. Zhang (CoC)
    • 32-Lacoste (SC)
    • 33-Gosviani (CoR) -- Added when Cesario was assigned
    with 34-Hicks and 35-Korobeynikova (CoC) next in line.

Men:
    • 22-Brown (TEB)
    • 23-Menshov (NHK)
    • 27-Rogozine (SC)
    • 28-Majorov (SA)
    • 31-Ge
    with 34-Balde (SC) and 35-Bush next.

Dance:
    • 13-Coomes/Buckland (TEB)
    • 14-Stepanova/Bukin (SC)
    • 18-Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (NHK)
    • 19-Zlobina/Sitnikov (SC)
    • 21-Kolbe/Caruso (NHK)
    with 22-Guignard/Fabbri (SC) and Heekin-Canedy/Dun (RC) next in line.

Pairs
    If what appeared to be last year's practice of giving (returning) split couples a second before creating Top Five from the SB list holds, then it will be Davis/Brubaker (SC) and Purich/Tran (TEB) first, and then the Top Five of:
    • 18-Martiusheva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 23-Purdy/Marinaro (SC)
    • 29-Wang/Zhang
    • 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)
    with 34-Vartmann/Van Cleave next to slot in, and then 35-Kemp/King.

If what's written in the Announcement happens, then the Top Five will be:
    • Purich/Tran (TEB)
    • Davis/Brubaker (SC)
    • 18-Martiusheva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 23-Purdy/Marinaro (SC)
    with 29-Wang/Zhang and 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB) next in line.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. Conga

Conga New Member

Thanks for taking the time to go through and then post this information, kwanfan1818. Very helpful.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This stuff is catnip to my essential nerd.

16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

• That leads me to think that the assigning of Rippon and Gachinski to the SkAm/COR TBAs is strategic, on the grounds that Brown and Menshov may yet get another assignment anyway.

17. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Lena Marrocco was already competing on the senior Grand Prix in 2010/2011 (and 11/12 & 12/13 for that matter). I thought that there was a rule put in place after 2010 or so where skaters could not drop back down to the Junior series once they had competed in senior, and this was only for pairs who were previously able to compete in both circuits.** I guess I am incorrect? :confused:

** ETA- the rest of that sentence should include that I believe the other disciplines have always had a rule in place where once the skaters compete in the senior circuit, they can't drop back down to junior.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This could happen, but the host Federations could go with the skaters who they think would be the least competition. Brown has TEB, and USA has three men at SA, SC, and NHK: unless a US man pulled out for one of these, Brown could only sub for CoC or RC. Menshov is already at NHK. The only GP with three Russian Men is RC (Kovtun, Plushenko, and Gachinski), and the other four are open for him, and RC if one of the Russian Men were to withdraw.

The only GP with three Canadian Men is SC, and Rogozine is already signed up there. Majorov could sub anywhere but SA, and Ge could go anywhere he could get a visa. (He recently tweeted about more visa problems for Senior B's for which he's been signed up.)

19. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Kwanfan, thank you for the list posted above! It clarifies substitutions in one quick read!

20. Sylvia

A rule was proposed but must not have passed at the 2012 ISU Congress: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...s-Discussion&p=3468897&viewfull=1#post3468897

:lol: Thank goodness for that! Thanks, as always.

21. Sylvia

USFS just tweeted that Samantha Cesario "has been added to the 2013 Trophee Bompard roster."

22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good news!

23. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

Wait. So Cesario (8th Place at Nats) gets TWO Grand Prix Assignments, but Hicks (4th place at Nats) gets ZERO?!

What in the world is going on here?

Cesario has competed in virtually no major competition outside of Nationals.

24. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Yes yes yes yes yes yes :swoon: :cheer: :cheer2: :kickass: :encore: :rollin: :biggrinbo :swoon: I can't believe my luck.

25. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Cesario finished ahead of Hicks (and just off the podium) at Junior worlds.

26. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

She did finish 4th at 2013 JW.

But it isn't necessarily a compliment to Cesario that she got picked for TEB. She is less likely to challenge the remaining French ladies than the top picks from the SB list. Remember years ago when Emily Hughes was picked for TEB? She very nearly placed last.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

While I think Hicks should have been assigned to SA,

• Cesario is tied for 27th on the SB list from her 157.72 at JPG Austria 2012.
    • Hicks's SB of 153.77 from JPG Lake Placid is 34th on the SB list.
    • Cesario has competed in five GPs and medalled in four of them, and was 4th at Jr. Worlds behind the Russian Wonderkids.
    • Hicks has competed in three GPs and medalled in two of them, and did well at Jr. Worlds, too, placing 5th, less than two points behind Cesario, up from 6th in 2011. (She was injured for 2012 Jr. Worlds.)

Both skaters had slightly lower scores at Jr. Worlds than at their highest-scoring GP's last season. They've had very similar results and experience internationally.

28. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Nationals results have absolutely zero bearing on GP assignments, except sometimes for host picks.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Cesario's first assignment was the host pick, and she was in the first substitutes group. Given how close they are in international competition, I think that Hicks' pewter medal should have been the tie-breaker for SA.

30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

So Hicks gets hosed again? So much for skating better this summer then Cesario has.