Grand Prix 12-13 only for Univesal Sports Subscribers?

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Skatingfan924, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Skatingfan924

Skatingfan924 New Member

I don't get Universal from Comcast. Where I lived before, I didn't get Universal from Time Warner. In the US, that's most of the country. This year, unless you receive them, you cannot buy streams from their website.
    After a second reading of Ice Network's schedule I noticed that except for Skate America, you have to wait 7 days to see the VOD, no streaming for the Grand Prix events. Is anyone besides me outraged? I emailed Ice Network and just as I suspected Universal will not sell streaming rights to them this year. I have emailed USFSA and Comcast as well.
    Is everyone going to stay silent while we let a season slip by without access to these events?
    If I posted this in the wrong place, sorry.

2. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I'm not sure what can be done about if Universal Sports has the rights. That would mean they can pretty much do as they please. I do have DirecTV and Universal Sports through the Sports Pack. I'm sorry to hear that Time Warner doesn't carry it.

The Grand Prix Will also be shown on NBC. Skate America will be shown live on NBC. I'm not sure if the whole event of Skate America is live. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows more than what I do about what will be aired on NBC. Here's part of the TV schedule for NBC.

Figure Skating TV Schedule

3. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Yes it sucks and yes there has been a lot of discussion about this previously. I guess if you want to see stuff live you have to switch to Direct TV. Or settle for NBC coverage or wait a week for Icenetwork.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Just subscribe to TV Teka for the Grand Prix months. It's cheap and very good quality.

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

More than likely videos will be posted to youtube very quickly, just like they were last year.

6. AJ Skatefan

What's TV Teka?

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Internet tv for Russian expats.

NTV covered the entire GP series and I imagine that one of the channels (no idea who has rights this year) will be covering it again this year.

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Any idea whether it is available in Australia? Thanks.

9. aliona22

aliona22 Member

what do people in the UK generally use to watch?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep tvteka.com is not geo-blocked anywhere other than Russia, as far as I know.

It costs 10$ per month and you get access to loads of Russian channels and can watch both live and on-demand.

The commentators usually don't babble over the programs and often only give comments after the skater(s) have finished, which is great. :)

I don't speak Russian but I use Chrome's built in Google Translate feature to navigate it.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. AJ Skatefan

Sounds great! Is there an on demand feature? I can't get up in the middle of the night or watch during the day.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes. Every program gets archived and you can watch it for 7 days afterwards, IIRC.

If you buy it right before Skate America, you end up paying for 2 months to get the whole GP plus the final covered. So 20 dollars.

Doggygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  13. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Oh great! You are gem. At least I know where and what to look in order to view the live competitions from afar. The 7 day archive is useful for people who live in different time zones.

14. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I thought about trying out Google Chrome because of the translate feature. Is Google Chrome faster than Internet Explorer?

15. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. I love Google Chrome. I also love the translate feature.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Google Chrome is about a million times better than Internet Explorer.

A far far superior browser in many aspects.

17. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks. I'll definitely use it since it's faster than IE! :cool:

18. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Dish network also has Universal Sports as part of a sports package. I dumped Comcast last year because of this and have been very glad. Dish has a new DVR called The Hopper which has a huge capacity hard drive, a very nice feature.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is one of the main reasons that I have hardly followed skating in years. The access to watching it simply has not been there. Thank goodness for the internet and especially FSU because otherwise I would not know anything about skating except for the Olympics.

20. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Will Universal Sports be showing the GP events live and on-demand online or are they only showing it on their TV channel?

21. wenrose

wenrose New Member

Call me old fashioned, but I refuse to pay for delayed Internet coverage from either Ice Network or Universal. I subscribe to Jackie Wong's Examiner feed that gives full results along with video's of every performance the next day FOR FREE! (www.examiner.com/user/register?from=subscriptions&ex_subs=359326/1760961)

FYI: I have been a fan of this sport for 40 years and have been to over 40 National and International competitions. But I will not pay another dime to be a participate in a sport that is being killed by greed and a judging system that rewards failure almost as much as it does success. I can't believe I'm the only one who feels this way. :mitchell:

Wendy

22. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

You aren't. I could have written your post. Been a fan since 1967, and I fear that is coming to an end. I'm not changing cable systems every couple years to follow skating around (I did this once to get Universal, but I'm not doing it again), and it's just no damn fun watching it on the computer. I'll still go to events, but I'll just go not knowing a single skater. I don't know if I'll like it that way, I guess we'll see.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes I know that it's terrible that things change :p but instead of just whining you two could also acknowledge that thanks to the internet we now got the access to far far more skating than we have ever did before.

On YouTube, through people making videos and posting clips on file sharing websites, thanks to various internet tv channels and live streaming provided by competition organisers.

I certainly don't miss the days when I was totally reliant on Eurosport which only showed some of the performances and only showed Euros and Worlds (with few exceptions).

I actually remember the pre-internet days where I would check Eurosport schedule every single week for a year not to miss Euros or Worlds. Definitely don't miss that. :p

24. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

In theory there is access to far more skating on the Internet these days, but in terms of something I'd like to watch? Not so much. I want to watch a competition, not go digging through the internet for this clip and that clip. I have a million channels on cable and the internet, yet in 1970 I could sit down in front of my TV and watch some skating on Wide World of Sports. Saw a lot of great skating moments that way. That's how I became a fan. I saw more skating in 1970 than I did last year, when Worlds was not broadcast. The internet is great for people who have the time and inclination to spend hours sifting through it to find what they want and don't mind watching on a computer. How about the people might love skating but don't know it yet? Where do they get exposed?

I subscribed to icenetwork one year and the quality of the stream was quite bad. Plus, trying to watch on a laptop was very uncomfortable. Not to mention having to go searching for competitions on obscure sites is certainly NOT the way to increase the fanbase. Without getting figure skating in front of people who are not now fans, it's just going to die as a watched sport.

My opinion - they are committing suicide. I'll miss it, but it's not the only game in town. They need fans more that the fans need them.

25. Oldsk8ter

Oldsk8ter Active Member

You aren't the only one who feels this way. I too have followed the sport for more than 40 years and am saddened to see where it is today. :dog:

26. AJ Skatefan

I know what you're saying but didn't Wide World of Sports only show a couple hours of skating? Now you can watch a couple of hours of skating on NBC each week. And actually, NBC did broadcast two or three hours of Worlds last season. Not great, I know, and I really wish it were more. But is it really that much less than Wide World of Sports back in the 70's? For me, the glory days were when ESPN and ABC covered lots of the Grand Prix, Nationals, and Worlds.

27. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Or how about the people who don't have the money to spend on ultra-high speed Internet so that they can watch online video without the feed constantly freezing up?

Oh, absolutely. I have so many tapes upon tapes of competitions from ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. I could fill up an 8-hour tape with just Worlds coverage.

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I doubt that we would have seen even the few hours of skating per year that we saw on WWoS if Dick Button's company hadn't supplied/provided the footage, before ABC Sports saw fit to send their team to cover events.

I regret that network coverage is regressing to the level it was years ago.
    However, I'm grateful for the Internet options that make it possible to see coverage that we never had access to before.

Believe me. it's much better than the alternative.
    Do you really want to have no access to coverage?

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Sad to say, but I wish they would go ahead and take skating off life support so it can go ahead and die in dignity. Trying to find some way to watch the competitions and follow the sport has become an aggravation, not a pleasure. Each year I swear it is the last year I will put myself through that because the pleasure has become tarnished, and I am beginning to feel not worth the great effort required.