Grammys Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jenny12, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah! I loved that!

I think Justin Timberlake sounded better than Frank Ocean tonight.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am not liking this performance by Frank Ocean. He had a chance to make a moment and he just sounds flat.

3. BigB08822

Babel wins Album of the Year. I disagree, it sounds exactly like their last album but it was still a good album.

4. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

AGH!!!! MUMFORD & SONS!!!! I literally jumped off my couch, I was not expecting that!

5. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I was hoping Black Keys would win, but congrats to Mumford and Sons! After his performance, I'm glad Frank Ocean didn't win.

6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Babel is quite similar I agree, but congrats to Mumford!

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Who opened the show? I tuned in late only to find LL Cool J give his "inspirational" speech. :yawn:

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Taylor Swift. I appreciated that she sang the song that was the basis for the majority of her nominations. Unlike .fun. I like "Carry On", but I don't like when artists sing the song that they are currently promoting and not the one they are being honoured for. This is not the American Music Awards!

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is she still never, ever, ever getting back together with that guy?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BigB08822

I heard Taylor Swift dated and broke up with Mumford AND his 3 sons during the Grammy telecast. She will have her new album out next week.

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Please do not encourage her.

12. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Yes

As he heaves a huge sigh of relief.

This show sucked big ( bigger?) time this year.

13. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I came in late on the show and just watched Taylor's opening on youtube. I don't get all the "OMG" about her. Yes, she's an excellent songwriter. but she's a mediocre singer without the benefit of vocal layering or autotuning, and she just plain sucks as a live singer. The amount of attention she got through the evening was annoying bordering on ridiculous. I'll take Kelly Clarkson's powerful voice any day over Taylor's. And Taylor, we get it, you've gone through your umpteenth boyfriend and written your 10,000th song about it, gee, I guess he was British, now wasn't he - sure you didn't want to throw in a Bostonian accent and diss the Kennedy boy at the same time???? I agree with one critic who commented that she should write songs for other instead of singing them herself, but I doubt she'll ever do that.

Loved Kelly Clarkson's tribute to Patti and Carole, and thank you, powers that be, for not having her sing "(How Much is) That Doggie in the Window...").

14. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

15. Aussie Willy

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Just one comment - they should have done more as a tribute to Dick Clark than they did.

17. duane

duane New Member

I didn't watch the Grammys (not at ALL into today's music or artists), but saw the Grammy Fashion Police. Kelly Rowland looked AWESOME! It's the best I've ever seen her. For the first time, she outshown Beyonce.

18. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Agree, could not believe they didn't even show a short video of his days on American Bandstand. That could have easily replaced at least 3 "GEE, Justin Timberlake is BAAAACK" commercials...

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Have the American Music Awards aired yet? I suspect their tribute will be huge.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I don't know who got the Grammys but I give Rhianna and Kelly Rowland the best dressed award. Worst dressed goes to Adele.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Frank Ocean got so shafted. :(

His album is an absolute masterpiece, was universally critically acclaimed and I can't believe it lost to the mediocre "Babel". :mad:

He hasn't won Best New Artist either.

M83 should have easily won Best Alternative Music Album. Or Fiona Apple. But Gotye? Seriously? :shuffle:

It's a shame "Bad Girls" or "Run Boy, Run" didn't win the best video but you have to admit that "We Found Love" is incredible.

I see Jessie Ware didn't even get nominated. :/ But I guess her music hasn't been released properly in the US iirc.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  22. Aussie Willy

Yes seriously. The guy is a musical genius.

23. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Taylor's lyrics worked for her as a teenager but my goodness she is like 24 now right? LAME. And she is just a horrible singer. I will never forgive the Stevie Nicks duet from a few years ago. Even Stevie was giving her the side eye.

The accolades this woman receives are mind boggling. Juvenile lyrics and a very mediocre singing voice with crappy stage presence.

24. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Oh and I honestly think Kelly has the best voice out there today. Even compared to X-tina and Pink.

25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I was happy that Kelly Clarkson, Adele and Carrie Underwood won grammys this year. They are certainly deserving winners, my only disappointments were Taylor Swift winning and that so called "performance". I was really hoping Hunter Hayes would win one out of his three nominations but he lost them all :( I've listened to his entire CD and it really is great music and he has a really nice, solid country voice, I would have liked to have seen him win Best New Artist but that's okay, he still has lots of time to win grammys yet. I will be seeing him in concert in May with Carrie Underwood.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Kelly Clarkson's latest album was such lowest common denominator trash, lacking a semblance of creativity and originality. Ugh.

He's a decent, above-average musician but he's nowhere near being a genius.

Both M83 and Fiona Apple are playing in a different league.

27. Aussie Willy

Sorry but the person who created this piece is not your above average musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXFJOXvL_A

I don't think there is anyone who could take what he does to put together his music. Everytime I have heard him interviewed I have just gained more and more knowledge and respect for what he does and how he does it. For me it is complex, amazing, extremely clever and inspiring.

28. BigB08822

I know this is entirely subjective but I almost feel like you are basing this off of one single (What Doesn't Kill You) which does fit the typical anthemic mold Kelly was known for. However, Mr. Know It All was like nothing else on radio and a huge risk as a lead single. Songs like You Love Me and Honestly were nothing like "lowest common denominator." As matter of fact, she had so many different sounds on the album that there was really a lack of radio ready singles. I think of an album as you described being full of ready to hit at radio singles, much like on a Rhianna album or Katy Perry album. Kelly had 3, maybe 4, radio potential singles and the rest were clearly hand picked by Kelly and her team with no regard to whether they fit any kind of mold.

Again, I know this is subjective and you can certainly not like the album, or even hate it, but I find the comment about being the lowest common denominator surprising. Am I interpreting the meaning of that differently than you are, perhaps?

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This pretty much sums it up. :p

30. BigB08822

:lol: I read that 3 times and I still hardly understand what it is saying. I guess I don't look (listen) so deeply into music, at least not pop music. It either sounds good to me or doesn't. Maybe I am lucky to be so simple, haha.