Grammy Reporter May Have Had Stroke On Air

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, Feb 14, 2011.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Does not sound like a stroke, more likely a TIA.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Wow- that is very worrisome. I hope she does see a doctor. (It says that a co-worker took her home and she feels fine now. Which sounds like no one checked her past the paramedics who checked her vitals)

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

What is a TIA? :confused:

6. missflick

missflick New Member

Mini stroke. Transient Ischemic Attack. The effects are temporary, but it usually is a warning sign that a full out stroke (called a Cerebral Vascular Accident) may happen later.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Symptoms of TIA resolve within 24 hours.

8. Skittl1321

But even if the symptoms resolve- isn't it still indicative of an underlying problem?

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That is scary. I saw this video early. It sounds like she went into a word salad. This can also be associated with mental illnesses, although I doubt this would be the case with her. I don't think she would make it at her job and onto the air with a mental illness if she was having problems. It isn't impossible, either, though.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Very likely it is. I am sure her discharge instructions included a recommendation to follow up with her PCP asap.

11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

My dad had a TIA a few years ago. He couldn't say "database", kept saying "base data". The doctors put him on meds and a few months later he had one of the arteries in his neck cleaned out. He's fine now. Must be genetic — my aunt (his sister) had the same thing happen a few years ago, only she didn't need surgery.

12. Skittl1321

But she didn't go to the hospital- there are no discharge papers. It's so easy to say "i feel fine now " and Do nothing. Hopefully the public humiliation (so sad... that really sucks) is enough for her to want answers.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She did follow up with her doctor so she is not doing nothing.

14. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I saw that last night and wondered what she was saying. For some reason I thought the transmission was garbled or something. I never thought about a possible stroke, but I should have since my mom had one years ago and I know the symptom of garbled speech.

15. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Poor woman. Hope she's ok.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I saw a video of the incident and it looks more like a seizure.

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I've seen a few people have seizures and none of them only had issues with speech. As matter of fact, they were unable to speak at all. She was able to maintain her balance, hold the mic, stand still, keep eye contact with the camera, etc. What kind of seizure are you talking about?

18. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

It looked kind of like a TIA to me...hope that she is indeed following up with her doc, and taking care of herself, poor thing.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Partial seizure. The effect depends on where in the brain it occurs. Not all seizures are created equal. http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms

20. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Totally agree. All too often people ignore these signs because they resolve so quickly and then disaster happens. Does anyone know how old she is??

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

22. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

never mind

23. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

Actually I had a few such migraines in my late teens and early 20s where I had slurring speech. It was kind of scary but relatively transient.

I had terrible migraines as a child as did my Mom.

24. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Not so much if you have experienced one of those migraines. I have the typical migraines and many different types of atypical. One of the first atypicals was a similar experience. It appears to those around you as a TIA, but medical exam r/o TIA.

ETA - I just heard her describe what happened. I could have said the same thing word for word.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This type of migraine is rare in the general population. It's not the first thing that comes to mind when considering the differential.

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That is really scary, I have about 1 migraine a week and I have never had something like that happen. The worst is a tingly arm but my speech had never been affected. I hope if it hasn't happened yet, it won't ever. She looked terrified!

27. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I've had speech issues before with migraines. I knew what I was trying to say, but the wrong words came out. It happened at work once and the next day I called the neurologist. I was sent for an MRI because they worried I was 'pre stroke'. It still happens, but to a lesser extent. Saw the video of this and it was scary. Nice to see she's going to be okay. :)

28. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

My niece had an episode where she passed out and when she came to her speech was slurred and one side of her face was numb and "drooping" (she was only 16).
    They called the paramedics believing she had a stroke, but the discovered it was a vascular migraine.
    It was terrifying!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I had an ocular migraine last fall--and I don't get migraines. It was scary, I couldn't see fully out of one eye for 10-15 minutes.

30. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

so what is she and other patients supposed to do if it happens again? Get a thorough exam each time?