Grammy Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jenny12, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

So the nominations came out for the Grammys:
    http://www.grammy.com/nominees

I think there are some good choices mixed in with some questionable ones (Call Me Maybe, Fun., Sexy and I Know It) I'm rooting for The Black Keys and Florence and The Machine. I'm surprised Florence and The Machine didn't get a Album nod. I'd give it to Florence easily over Fun.

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I get into award shows, but I have never gotten into the Grammys. I think it's hard to determine which music is "The Best" because I find it to be highly subjective (at least more so than visual media).

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think Florence was a bit robbed. Taylor Swift and Fun over them? Okay, then...

The Grammys nominated crappie music every year IMO

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Kelly Clarkson got 4 nominations! The most she has ever received and she is the most nominated female this year. What an amazing feat considering she is 10 years into her career in a genre that is all about the newest and hottest thing. She really only has a shot at winning 1 of them but so what, it really is an honor to be nominated considering all the choices available.

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

How did The Hunger Games soundtrack not get nominated in its category? Say what you will about the movie, but the soundtrack that T-bone Burnett compiled was absolutely brilliant and fitting in the best possible way.

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I don't remember ever not rooting for at least ONE nominee in the Album of the Year category. The nominees:

The Black Keys - El Camino
    Fun. - Some Nights
    Mumford and Sons - Babel
    Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
    Jack White - Blunderbuss

If I went to a party and those five CD's were in rotation on somebody's CD player, I would figure that I had got the address wrong and would leave. BLECH!

I would rather listen to Mr. Snubbed:

Justin Bieber's Grammy Snub: Why Did 'Believe' Get Overlooked?

7. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I love fun! Besides the two big hits, Stars is fantastic!

I liked Bieber's album too. He gets a bad rap. As Long As You Me is an excellent song.

But whatever. Whoever is the oldest amongst the nominees, they will win.

8. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Two of the the songs were nominated though, weren't they? The Arcade Fire one and one of the Taylor Swift ones?

9. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I for one couldn't be more thrilled that Bieber didn't get nominated :D Though there were a few nominations this year that confused me. Carrie Underwood not getting a nod for best country album really ticked me off.

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Yes, which is part of why I'm perplexed that the album itself wasn't nominated when those were just two of many very good songs on it (Maroon 5 and The Civil Wars both had just fantastic songs on there as well!)

I really want Arcade Fire to win for Abraham's Daughter. I love that song to pieces, it's the first thing I play every time I go work out.

11. BigB08822

I am not sure if Carrie has ever received a country album nomination, now that I think about it. Really odd considering she has won a ton of Grammy's in the country vocal categories.

12. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

I must be the only person who's thrilled that Carly Rae Jepson got nominated. :shuffle:

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have liked Carly since her Canadian Idol days.

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

No you are not: I don't know why some folks think that catchy pop tunes loved/liked by millions don't merit awards consideration. If there was a "song of the summer"--especially in an Olympic year--this was it. I'm glad she was nominated.

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm #4. Maybe we should start a Carly Rae thread! :D

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'll rep you maybe

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

^ ^ ^
    this

^ ^ ^
    CRAZY!

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I understand enjoying the song and admit that it's very catchy, but I'm just wondering if you guys really think the lyrics of that song should have been nominated for Best Song?

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. BigB08822

I completely agree! Call Me Maybe was a great pop song, more than worthy of a Record of the Year and Pop Vocal nomination but it got a Song of the Year nomination? In what way is that song worthy of a song writing award? The fact that it didn't get a Record of the Year nomination makes it even more confusing.

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

How about this one? Not only did it get a nomination for song of the year....but it won!!!

21. masofs

masofs New Member

I'm rooting for The Black Keys! :respec:

22. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're awesome. Love their latest single: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_gU81C5LJ0

I agree. It does sound like Stairway to Heaven, but still maintains its own identity.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  23. masofs

masofs New Member

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Very glad to see Ed Sheeran pick up a nomination for Song of the Year for The A Team. He should win that category by a landslide.

I'd like to see The Black Keys or Mumford and Sons take Album of the Year. Record of the Year is a toss up, lots of good choices there.

Not sure I really get the Frank Ocean love -- I'm not into him.

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

On the country front, I'm very happy for Hunter Hayes, especially the album nomination. The kid is an incredible instrumentalist and a breath of fresh air. Also glad for Little Big Town -- "Pontoon" isn't my favorite song of theirs, but they've waited a long time for this breakthrough, so more power to them!

26. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

He's been a really great instrumentalist ever since he was a little boy! I hadn't realized he was the same little boy that I remember watching back in 1996! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZGch1fFAc

I'm glad he didn't disappear into oblivion, he has a really nice voice and can play the guitar, so good for him with his success! :)

27. masofs

masofs New Member

Totally agree. El Camino is a great album.

I'm also rooting for Florence and the Machine and "my girl" Fiona Apple.

28. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:lol: Yep, that's him! Wasn't he the cutest thing? And such a talented little guy even then!