Gracie will CRUSH the Russians in WJC!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Gracie4Gold, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

She can juggle apples. End of competition.

:cheer: Gracie!

2. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

But can she juggle flaming torches? Or porcupines?

3. mia joy

mia joy New Member

aww, a female baby van der Perren ;)

but other than that, I think all of these girls are great jumpers, but most of them lack personality on ice. No wonder, they're just juniors. Whoever gets out of her shell and shows some character first, will win me as a fan.

4. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

5. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

She can do it all. What's more impressive, she can do it while doing a 3axel on a harness!

Who do the Russians have that can compete with that?! A Marilyn Monroe wannabe?! Pfffft!

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

7. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Why so bitchy?

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Right now, Gracie and the 3 Russians are probably the medal threats at JW's. She is the only Junior lady that can keep up with them.

Gracie might have a slight edge on Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, and Lipnitskaya on TES, but their gap over her in PCS will probably be the winning factor

10. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Gracie probably has an edge over Sotnikova, but i can't see her having any edge over Liza or Julia. Liza has lot more transition coming out of jumps and i don't think Liza's jump are any way inferior to Gracie's, spins both will receive same levels. As for Julia, she more than makes up of her technical content with very GOEs on spins, which non of the three other girls can match.

11. bek

bek Guest

Why should Gao be completely left off she does have a gorgeous 3flip/3toe.

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

To clarify more, I think that Gracie has an edge on the big elements, like the jumps, and on PCS elements like SS (speed) and possible PE (depending on what she puts out on the ice) but the Russian gals probably will bring better scores on non-jump TES like spins, and on PCS elements like CH AND IN.

I haven't paid attention to FW.

Perhaps the jumps are a wash between Liza and Gracie - Gracie's speed and explosiveness are evened out by Liza's transitions, and neither one of them is what I'd call a great artist on the ice. It might be close between the 2 of them ...

Gracie should get good GOE on her jumps vs. Julia's good GOE on spins. Julia might get higher PCS overall, which could be a deciding factor

13. bek

bek Guest

Gracie has an edge on speed over Adelina? I don't know Adelina has been pretty praised for having incredible skating skills for her age. I think one would have to see them live. But speed and power is NOT a weakness Sotnikova has. Adelina's short program is jam packed with difficulty in the inbetweens as well. And while she flutzs Sotnikova's jumps are huge.

Julia as well has good speed/flow over the ice from those who have seen her live.

One could mention to Julia has yet to make a major mistake this year; something that can't be said for anyone else in the competition; including Gracie. As for P/E; I actually think that one of Gracie's weakeness IS Performance. I think all of the Russian girls are better performers; but all of them have also been in the spotlight longer. They should all get higher P/E especially Julia who has lovely lines/extension and is really a great performer. Tukt too is a good performer.

Frankly if Adelina went clean she really should win. I just think she's the least likely to go clean.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  14. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I thought Angela Wang looked good enough to compete with the Russian JR ladies. She was (6th) in the LP at Nats after a bad SP(16th), (8th) over-all. She can do 3z/3t and 3F/3t. I was hoping she was 5th or 6th at SR Nats and made the JR Worlds team. Besides Gracie, I believe she is another US lady to keep an eye on.

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Glad you realize this. I was quite underwhelmed by her nationals exhibition skate. Artistically speaking, i think Gracie makes Liza look like Janet Lynn.

16. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Has Gao ever gone clean in a competition?

17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I haven' t seen her do it in senior competition. I don't know if she's ever gone clean in junior comps.

18. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

It's unfair to judge her on an exhibition skate. We don't know if she threw that program together in a day or two after learning she would be skating in the exhibition. Agnes' program wasn't an artistic masterpiece either but no one seems to be harping on her for that.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Thread titles like this are a turn off for me. It's natural to be excited about a talented skater, but for the last several months Gracie has been put on such a pedestal that it's creating negative vibes. The girl has talent, no doubt, but she has not won anything on the senior circuit, and she has already been compared with Midori Ito, Tonya Harding, and supposed to 'crush' the Russians? On what basis? Just because she can jump? She appears coltish, when it comes to presentation, like other girls of her age. We don't know if she can handle pressure. I also feel it's a bit unfair to other talented young ladies who are being totally ignored. I had no idea how good Angela Wang is until I saw her at the most recent US nationals.

This is not limited to US ladies though. Since last year I have been hearing that Adelina or Liza would win the OGM in 2014. They have won more than Gracie at this point, but they too have a long way to go before becoming OGM contenders. A little moderation in assessing the young skaters may be a good thing to do.

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Again, because Agnes has more artistic exposure and there's more to point to Agnes' success than Gracie's. Gracie's could still look like a fluke. I know she's not.

21. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think that Zijun Li could sneak onto the podium.

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

She skated a clean FS at the 2009 JGPF to pull up from 5th to 3rd and she also had a clean FS at the 2010 JGP Austria where she scored 109.XX (though she didn't do 3f-3t in that program).

23. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Did I understand correctly that Liza won't go to Junior worlds because she is too tired? In that case I guess it would be Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya and a third Russian lady (Shelepen may be?) at the Jr. worlds. The first two have a chance to win a medal, but hard to say if it will be a gold. Isn't Sotnikova also tired from competing throughout this season? I believe she competed in as many events as Liza.

24. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Liza competed more events internationally and Started of with Japan Open, Skate Canada, TEB (France), GPF (Canada) and Youth Olympics (Austria), domestically Russian Nationals. Adelina did cup of china, Cup of russia, Zagreb (golden spin), Youth olympics, nationals may be a cup of russia. Unlike Liza, adelina's most evens where in europe so lot less travelling.

I agree with Macassar88 that Zijin Li can clearly challenge the russians for the medal.

25. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Umm...I wasn't being serious. :

:rofl:

26. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Something tells me that very, VERY soon we are all going to be reminiscing over the not-so-bad-afterall Kwan vs Slutskaya rivalry. :shuffle: Hopefully none of them take the bait reporters will be throwing at them..

27. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

You never know on these pages !

28. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

She's been skating pretty consistently, and she has a good 3f 3t as well as a 2a 3t
    so if she can get her choreography and transitions up, she could definitely be a factor in the future. Also, she almost beat Sotnikova at YOG, and she probably would have had she done the 3F 3t instead of a 3f 2t

29. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

ITA. I'm getting a little sick of the Gracie-hype already. The girl is talented; no doubt. But she will be one of the most inexperienced skaters at jr. worlds this year. Both Adelina and Liza are defending Jr. world medalists and Julia is the JGPF champ...all of them have more international experience than Gracie. I think Gracie's big jumps make her a contender (obviously) and her speed is nice but not remarkable given her competition. The point is she is completely untested when it comes to big-time international pressure. I'm proud of her for pulling off the win at jr nationals, but it's not like she was facing any kind of challenge there. No one was on her level. She could have had multiple mistakes and still won. Gracie's never faced off against anyone who was on her level. That's a different kind of pressure. It's probably easier to skate when you know you have room for an error or two, but how will she hold up under the pressure of knowing one mistake could knock her off the podium? It's a completely different situation and next year, if she jumps to seniors, that will be an entirely different situation yet again...she's got a lot left to prove to live up to the hype people are constantly pouring on her.

I hope she does well, mainly b/c I can't imagine how badly she'll be torn apart if she doesn't. If everyone skates their best, I say she'd end up 4th. If Adelina's clean, she wins. Her speed is awesome, her jumps are explosive and ginormous, her presentation is wonderful and her spins and other elements are better than last year. Liza's got a solid 3-3 and lots of performance ability which will score her high, plus she's got rep points b/c of her performance on the GP this year. Julia has had a magnificent year. Her jump content isn't as difficult but she can make up a lot of points in spins and presentation.

Gracie will need to be clean and will probably need others to make mistakes in order to win. She can go toe-to-toe with them in terms of jumps, but her presentation isn't as strong as the others and her spins are pretty mediocre. She has a good shot at medaling, but she'll need to be on her "A" game if the Russians are on theirs.

30. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

They have just had Russian Junior Nationals. Had Russian and American junior nationals been one competition, then Gracie would not have even made the podium as these were the scores:-

1. Julia Lipnitskaya - 191.92
    2. Polina Shelepen - 182.54
    3. Elena Radionova - 178.94
    4. Gracie Gold - 178.92

Notice that Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, and Korobeynikova did not even compete at Russian juniors. Had they done, then Gold would probably have ended finishing 7th.

As I understand it, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, and Lipnitskaya will all be going to junior worlds. Hence, can't see Gold coming away with a medal.