Gracie Gold's Areas for Improvement

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jan 10, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Some posters in the "Which new lady can break up the top 5 at worlds" thread (link below) seem to agree with me that Gracie Gold is currently challenged in PCS. I have concerns about her Olympic potential based on the merits of her programs this season. I have not had time to ponder what should be worked on, but the nuances of skating appear to be lost on her. Does she need a new choreographer or a lot more than that?

She is young, but not so young that she should be as flavorless and wanting for grace as she is-- not if we expect her to make a name for herself in the top five or six of the world. Her skating skills are already marvelous, so I wonder: Does she need a Russian coach? An action plan to improve her style and comfort with choreography? What are the opinions and suggestions?

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...or-lady-can-break-up-the-top-5-at-worlds-2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

My opinion is that you should let her and her coach figure it out for themselves.
    AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

She has a Russian coach.
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Actually, Alex Ouriashev is Ukrainian. :)

Re-posting this recent espnW article (part of their 12-part Headliners series "highlighting up-and-coming athletes who embody confidence, strength and talent in their respective sports": Gracie Gold focuses on growing her skills
  5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Sylvia, that is an interesting article. I think she sounds like she is aware of her potential and the challenges she faces.

Many skaters do not make the leaps they could, and I see nothing wrong with opinions on how she can achieve the highest PCS.
  6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She needs to soften up and not be overly ambitous with her jumps. She is still an up and comer and will score better going clean (with last year's content) than going difficult uncleanly (with this year's content).
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  7. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Ouch! Is this not a figure skating message board?
  8. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

She needs to get rid of her boob shimmy in her HH program.
  9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yes, and I expressed my opinion on the question that was asked.
  10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She also shouldn't fan herself in Hernando's Hideaway.
    ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  11. hohoho

hohoho Member

Her programs look "too choreographed". Doesn't look natural. Almost robotic.
  12. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

It's obvious from the title many of the posts that it is a BASH GRACIE thread. Best to be ignored.
  13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's bashing her. These are all valid points:

The chest shimmy and fanning herself are silly bits of choreography that don't really enhance the performance or enhance Gracie as a performer. Top tier level competitors rarely fan themselves or shimmy to the judges in a competitive program. That's weak choreography. Those are movements younger less mature skaters often use and, in the interest of improving the program, they could be done away with.

And, unfortunately, Gracie's programs do lack artistic flow and they come off looking rehearsed or "robotic". I agree with that as well. Again, it's a characteristic of less mature performers. It's nothing against her...it's just constructive criticism and to improve, she needs to work on this. There's a difference between performing to the music and performing with the music and right now Gracie performs to the music. There's a disconnect b/w the music and her performance. As she grows and matures (hopefully) she'll learn to make her movements flow with the music. If she can do that the movement will come across much more organic and less choreographed/rehearsed...that makes for a beautiful performance.

These are areas that need work and fixing these would improve her skating...I don't see that as bashing.