GPF Qualifier- Mens Singles

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Sep 30, 2012.

?

Who will make the mens field at the GPF?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2013.
  1. Patrick Chan

81 vote(s)
    91.0%
  2. Daisuke Takahashi

80 vote(s)
    89.9%
  3. Yuzuru Hanyu

73 vote(s)
    82.0%
  4. Javier Fernandez

48 vote(s)
    53.9%
  5. Jeremy Abbott

46 vote(s)
    51.7%
  6. Ross Miner

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Artur Gachinski

15 vote(s)
    16.9%
  8. Adam Rippon

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  9. Michal Brezina

18 vote(s)
    20.2%
  10. Florent Amodio

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  11. Kozuka

33 vote(s)
    37.1%
  12. Nan Song

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Since I don't see one for the men, I am starting this poll.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I think you should have included an "Other" option. :)

3. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Plus, you have forgotten Joubert and Weir. Oh, and I forgot Oda. They're going to be there too, you know ;). But thanks anyway.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

No Weir and Oda :confused:
    but Kozuka, Gachinski, Miner are on the list ?

5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Weir hasn't competed in over two years so i see why he's not on the list. Kozuka and Gachinski are only a little over a year removed from being on the podium at Worlds.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think it'd be cool to see Denis Ten make the GPF. And I'm not really a Tomas Verner fan, but who doesn't like a comeback? :cheer:

ETA: How did Weir get two GP spots, but Lysacek only has one? And not to be mean, but why is Ross Miner one of the poll options?

7. Sylvia

You should go plow through the Grand Prix Assignments thread in GSD. :p ;)

ETA the answer from the GP Announcement :):

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  8. Vash01

I saw them as has beens, so they were not included. There are lots of young skaters with promise, and I wanted to give them a chance, besides the obvious certainties like Chan and Takahashi.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Is Lysacek doing 2 events? If there is any chance he does I might have included him, as even though I dont think he will be good enough to beat Chan, Takahashi, or Hanyu, I think he could possibly beat anyone else and come away with two 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd.

In any case I voted the obvious 3, plus Kozuka, Abbott, and Fernandez.

10. judgejudy27

Kozuka and Gachinski are far more likely to make the GP final than Weir and Oda. It will be surprising if either Weir or Oda even make it to Worlds ever again. What makes you think Oda is above Kozuka in anyway at this point. I think this was a great poll, the only chance I would have made is to replace Miner with other (thus all the redundant poll options there was no room for like Weir, Miner, Oda, and the unknowns who might be shock by getting a 2nd GP somehow like Evan and Plushenko, would be available to their uber fans).

11. Sylvia

Lysacek is scheduled only for Skate America.

12. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Joubert :wuzrobbed

I still believe!

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Joubert is a has-been after placing one spot off the podium at last year's World's Championships? :(

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Where are Joubert, Weir and Oda? The list is not fair! :mad:

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i guess pelvic thrusts are out of vogue in some circles

16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:huh:

Have those circles not seen Joubert's pelvis? Let alone the thrusts from that region??

17. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:lol: I like how Kozuka doesn't get a first name...

18. spikydurian

Vash01 couldn't remember! :mad: Poor Kozu.

19. lauravvv

You may want to give them a chance, and they will have that chance, but things still may turn out different in reality ;). I agree that Weir may not get anywhere, but Oda just showed himself well at Nebelhorn Trophy. And, as for Joubert, better look at his competition at the respective GP events. It's Takahashi (quite sure to beat Joubert) and then Song, Rippon, Reinolds, Machida and Voronov at CoC. Of course, some of them can beat Joubert - if a disaster happens. And then at TEB it's Abbott, Amodio, Weir, Song and Verner. All of them have a chance, but Joubert can do it too if he skates well.

Edit: I conveniently forgot that Takahashi may not even be at CoC if all the Japanese skaters are withdrawn from there. Then Joubert really has a chance at winning CoC.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  20. icellist

icellist Member

I hope Brian Joubert can finally win CoC (at the cost of 1 gold medal for Takahashi).

I'm also hoping that Denis Ten can embody Stephane Lambiel in his programs and wow us (and barely scrape into the final)

21. lauravvv

Yes, if Takahashi won't be there, then Joubert really can win it if he skates fairly well.

As for Ten - Lambiel didn't choreograph his programs. Lori Nichol did. Lambiel just tweaked and "polished" them.

22. judgejudy27

There isnt enough poll options for everyone. I can see why people think Joubert should have been included but it is funny to see people crying over the #4 Japenese skater or a 28 year old who retired years ago skating his best and coming 6th in a major event won by Lysacek arent included in a poll. There arent 25 poll options people.

23. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

True story. That's why I didn't bother doing one for men and ladies- just too hard to pick 12, especially for men. Maybe we need to run them like PSOTY and create 2 semifinal polls and then a grand finale poll with the top 6 from each. :p

24. Vash01

Exactly. It was hard to pick 12 men, and I had to drop some deserving skaters. I decided on younger skaters partly because they are still improving and we may not have seen their best yet. I am not even sure that Joubert will actually compete in two GPs this time - he very well might, but he has a lot of mileage on him, so I am not sure that he will be at the top. By the same token, I did not even pick Mao Asada to make the GPF (I did not create that poll, but I voted for 6 other ladies) even though she remains my most favorite lady skater today.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

It's because he's finally reached a Madonna/Cher status! :D

It's offical. judgejudy27 predicts Ross Miner will be on the podium at the Grand Prix Final. :p

26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

This comment got me thinking, "it's not that unlikely that a fourth-ranked skater from a strong country would end up in the Grand Prix final". I was sure that this happened recently with the Japanese ladies. But I was wrong, according to wikipedia, the last time a country had four entries at a Grand Prix final was 2000! :eek: These four Russian ladies made the GPF:

1. Irina Slutskaya
    3. Maria Butyrskaya
    4. Julia Soldatova
    6. Viktoria Volchkova

It also happened the year before (bonus points to who can guess the country/discipline):

1. Alexei Yagudin
    2. Alexei Urmanov
    3. Evgeni Plushenko
    5. Alexander Abt

For the 1997 GPF, in the ladies discipline, Russia and the U.S. were the only countries represented:

1 Tara Lipinski
    2 Michelle Kwan
    3 Irina Slutskaya
    4 Maria Butyrskaya
    5 Olga Markova
    6 Tonia Kwiatkowski

27. spikydurian

Poor Oda. He is so unloved just because he is no. 4.:(

28. lauravvv

Yes, I can understand that there's no Oda or Weir, but Miner instead of Joubert? And I don't believe in Rippon anymore. He can't reach the top unless he starts doing quads - and doing them well.

29. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

I think Oda will do well. From what I seen in Nelbon trophy...he seem to get all of his money jumps back. Sure its a little early in the season, but he did land 3A and 4T with step out...so what knee injury? lol I guess Oda will be one of those skater, who do well in GP series but bomb in World due to misfuntune (Olympic) or zeyaks himself out. But I am hoping he prove us wrong.

30. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I don't think it's because he's no. 4 guy. He's been very inconsistent in his career and was out for the whole season last year. It's this kind of stuff that makes people think that maybe he's going downhill and there's hardly anything to expect from the skater.

Not that I'm diminishing his strong will not to let go of any chances given to him. He's a special skater, really.