GP/Senior B/JGP assignments for US skaters next season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jlai, Mar 29, 2010.

1. SUN

SUN New Member

Regarding pairs at Senior GP.
    I think no pair will get 2 events if they are not among 12 at the recent Worlds (i.e. are guaranted 2 events). This is what happened last year (after original assignment and before withdrawals). And this is because there are only 8 pairs per event, so hardly enough spots even to provide guaranted events.

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Musademba I don't know much about, seems a little inconsistent based on her JGP results but she is a nice skater. Angela I think is fantastic and if she could finally get out on the senior GP circuit I think she could do well for herself in a couple more years. I know she's pretty much all about the jumps and needs to work on her PCS and artistry, but she is just so FUN to watch, her jumps are huge, she has lots of energy and spunk, and she's fast. I'd rather watch her than Caroline or Alissa any day.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

With both Musademba and Maxwell having withdrawn from Nationals, I will be interested to see if, when and how they compete this summer.

Moved over from the Zhang thread:
    Skaters don't lose their eligibility when they tour with SOI. Also, Czisny, if she confirms she is competing next season, could end up being invited to a 2nd GP by one of the 5 other host countries.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Professioinal competitions make someone lose eligibilty. Like Lambiel losing eligibility for On Thin Ice.

5. pinky166

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. Yeah, Alissa I'm kind of putting in the same boat as Fumie right now, if they want to keep skating, all the more power to them, they are both lovely, but at this point I think a comeback from either isn't likely. I'm just surprised Alissa wants to continue competing, I'd imagine she must get so upset when her nerves cause her to bomb time and again, it must be frustrating.

6. Sylvia

From the Detroit Free Press' 4/30 SOI preview article (scroll down to the end): http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...lty-at-the-Palace-Sunday&template=fullarticle
    Also, I posted article links about 2 potential U.S. ladies (Zawadzki and Siraj) who are likely to debut on the JGP in this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2743737&postcount=92

7. pinky166

Thanks! Yasmin is soo cute, I'm excited to see her skate on the JGP, she is such a little fire cracker!

8. Sylvia

FYI, U.S. Figure Skating has added a new page on their site titled 2010-11 International Selection Pool that "includes all Team A, B and C age-eligible athletes and any other athletes being considered for an international competition."

9. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Interesting page.

For pairs Brooke/Ben are listed here but not in the team envelope so probably retired. Marina Guterres/Justin Schumann are listed here but were on IPS so probably split.

Those that were not in the A, B, C teams but on the Int selection pool these and my guess at their assignment. Anyone else want to do the same for ladies/men/dance?

Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen -B
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir -GP based on world rank for sure
    Tracy Tanovich/Michael Chau -JGP
    Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin -B
    Morgan Agster/Adam Civiello -JGP
    Olivia Oltmanns/Joshua Santillan -JGP
    Morgan Sowa/David Leenen -JGP

10. Sylvia

Castile/Okolski's and Liang's names have now been removed from the ISP list. I believe Guterres/Schumann are still listed in the ISP because they have not made their split official even though Schumann is currently listed on IPS (icepartnersearch.com).

And just to clarify -- not everyone listed in the ISP is guaranteed an international assignment but they all will be monitored this summer. Also, singles skaters/teams not currently listed, plus any newly formed teams, could be considered for a possible assignment based on their summer competition performances.

11. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Following the link to Champs Camp from the ISP page, it appears USFS has made changes. It will no longer be in June but at the end of August and skaters will be performing their programs for feedback/monitoring. It sounds like what the Canadian fed has done for the past few seasons, and it's probably more useful to the skaters than having to sit in 2 days of seminars. The drawback is that their programs have to be ready, and esp this year, that will be a challenge for the skaters who are on SOI and won't likely start on new programs until the middle/end of June (and are probably exhausted).

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

And for the dancers who can't make a Short Dance until they learn exactly what it's supposed to contain and that it will indeed be the requirement.

Or an OD if that proposal surprisingly doesn't pass.

13. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

FYI...There will not be a "champs camp" this year, for all of the team envelope skaters, there will be mini-camps attached to three major summer competitions: Liberty Open, Detroit Open and Glacier Falls Summer Classic (for pairs it will be at Indy, and for dance Lake Placid). It is being strongly suggested to the skaters that they enter a non-qual over the summer, that is in conjunction with their monitoring and mini-camp.

Sylvia: I stand corrected on the Senior GP skater/teams only....should have clarified that..thanks.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  14. Sylvia

As Debbie S mentioned above, there will be a Champs Camp this year, but it will be for the Senior Grand Prix skaters/teams only and will take place in Colorado Springs from August 26-29 -- see: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=428

I only wish Tanovich/Chau, after 6 seasons together, could have held on long enough to finally experience a JGP this fall. :(

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah that is a shame that they just missed out.

16. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  17. Sylvia

18. jlai

jlai Title-less

4th at novice is rock bottom? Novice nationals, junoir nationals?
    :confused:

19. Sylvia

Well, I don't consider that particular reporter (Gomez) to be very knowledgeable about skating... ;)

20. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

To be polite, he's an idiot who is obligated to write about skating. He constantly writes things that are grossly inaccurate.

21. Sylvia

However, I thought the Agnes Zawadzki article was/is newsworthy and relevant to this thread, and so that's why I posted the link.

22. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Regardless of Gomez's history, I thought the Zawadzki article was just fine, and didn't notice anything grossly inaccurate. So maybe he's improving! :D Thanks for posting, Sylvia.

23. jlai

jlai Title-less

True, the only other error that jumped out at me was his mention of speed, but other than that...

Anyway, nothing in the article implies she's doing gp. It's Gomez not Agnes Z. who raises the possibility.

24. Sylvia

U.S. initial Grand Prix assignments were published today and are as follows:

LADIES (16 slots/9 different skaters assigned):
    2 for Flatt (NHK/SA), Nagasu (CHN/FRA), Wagner (NHK/RUS), Czisny (CAN/FRA), Zhang (NHK/SA), and Agnes Zawadzki (CAN/RUS);
    1 for Amanda Dobbs (CHN), Gilles (CAN), and Kristine Musademba (CHN);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

MEN (12 slots/6 different skaters assigned):
    2 for Abbott (NHK/RUS), Weir (CAN/FRA), Rippon (SA/CAN), Mroz (CHN/FRA), Ross Miner (NHK/CHN); 1 for Carriere (SA);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

PAIRS (11 slots/7 different teams assigned):
    2 for Denney/Barrett (NHK/SA), Evora/Ladwig (CHN/RUS), and McLaughlin/Brubaker (CAN/SA);
    1 for Inoue/Baldwin (NHK), Yankowskas/Coughlin (CHN), Castelli/Shnapir (CAN), and Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller (RUS);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

DANCE (13 slots/7 different teams assigned):
    2 for Davis/White (NHK/SA), Samuelson/Bates (NHK/FRA), Chock/Zuerlein (CAN/FRA), Hubbell/Hubbell (CHN/RUS), Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (NHK/SA);
    1 for Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello (CHN) and Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker (CAN);
    1 TBA at Skate America.

ETA: Bolded names above are the skaters making their Senior GP debut.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  25. Sylvia

Moved from the Grand Prix Assignments thread in GSD since it's more relevant here:
    Kristiene Gong (S16) is also listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) - she placed 4th in her one JGP assignment last season. Two other JGP age-eligible ladies in the ISP are Vanessa Lam (J8) and Gracie Gold (N4). Other age-eligible ladies who stand out in competition monitoring this summer could also be considered.

It has been my observation that USFS' International Committee that selects the JGP and Senior B skaters (ICMS) appears to be weighting senior national results more than junior/novice in recent years, especially when it comes to JGP assignments for the ladies, but nothing is ever "set in stone" because the ICMS also changes personnel from year to year.

26. pinky166

I am always very confused by the JGP picks in the US. I mean, last year Christina and Kiri didn't have initial assignments and they were the junior bronze medalist and novice champion, but skaters like Taylor Firth and Laney Diggs who were 13th and 10th in seniors, and Kristene Gong who was 4th in junior, did get initial assignments. Most of the time, aren't the skaters who medal in junior and novice better than these senior ladies who finish middle of the pack? Even if they are not, I'm confused on how the USFSA comes to the decision of WHICH middle of the pack seniors to send to JGP, as there are a fair number who are young enough to do JGP and won't be getting SGP assignments.

27. Sylvia

No, Gong was selected after the initial round, like Gao and Baga were. 5 senior ladies and the top 2 juniors were initially selected for the JGP based on 2009 Nationals results: Angela Maxwell (S8), Laney Diggs (S10), Kristine Musademba (S11), Taylor Firth (S13), Karen Zhou (S19), DeeDee Leng (J1), and Ellie Kawamura (J2). Of this group of 7, Maxwell and Musademba were the only ones with previous JGP experience.

There doesn't appear to be set criteria for selecting among the Senior/Junior/Novice singles skaters for the JGP. As I mentioned earlier, the ICMS committee has been rewarding more singles skaters that qualify for Nationals at the senior level with international assignments in recent years, even if they've been placing lower in the senior events. I think it's because there is a general consensus that skaters competing at the senior national level are dealing with a higher intensity of pressure in competition. This may also be a way of encouraging more skaters to move up to the senior level nationally if/when they are ready and rewarding longevity.

28. pinky166

Oh alright. It's still all a little confusing but I guess the USFS figures that the junior and novice skaters are younger than a lot of the senior skaters and so they have more time to get JGP events in the future. I guess it makes sense, as many of the seniors that go to JGP are 17 or 18 and will only be eligible for a season or two, versus the novice and junior ranks which are full of 13 and 14 year olds who will be age eligible for several years.

I still want Nina Jiang to go this season though :), I don't care that she's a baby, she's so lovely to watch.

29. pinky166

How do the senior B assignments work? Do those come out later? Further, do you have to be assigned or can approved skaters just sign up for them?

30. Sylvia

The ICMS committee determines the Senior B assignments. The decisions usually are made during the course of the summer, and the skaters/teams that are selected/being considered are monitored in competition.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010