GP/Senior B/JGP assignments for US skaters next season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jlai, Mar 29, 2010.

1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

You are forgetting USFS's ultimate goal for Skate America is always to sell those tickets and make the event as much a success as possible. That's the way the event has been handled for years. The experience for the 2nd tier skaters is always a plus but if they have to chose between "never in Seniors before" Maxwell or Musademba and "Former National and World Champion" Kimmie Meissner, Im pretty sure who will be their choice.
  2. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

You got a good point, but I really think the sooner Angela Maxwell is delivered to the public, the better off for everyone involved (provided she's in good shape, of course). She may not sell more tickets than Kimmie right now, but for sure she has more potential and is more exciting than basically all other ladies. When you have a skater as fantastic as Angela, you don't keep her hiding. I'm counting on USFS not to pull a :duh: move. I also feel more strongly about Kristine Musademba and Melissa Bulanhagui at this point than Kimmie, so I hope to see good summer and fall results for these ladies and then assignments to whomever does best.

Seriously, when is the last time Kimmie did a 3-3 or even competed at all for that matter? The only way I want to see her on the GP this year is if she proves herself in a major way over the summer, or a bunch of ladies sit out next season and Kimmie is one of the only options left....otherwise, Regionals and Sectionals for her please. Super nice girl, but fair is fair. Come on now.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. jlai

jlai Title-less

To be honest, I don't have a good feeling about the chances of Kimmie, Angela or Musademba right now. Girls in the US don't make comebacks the way the Japanese girls do. I wish, for the sake of USFS female skater development, it had been different.

For every Joelle Forte there're 50 Christina Gaos. :(
  4. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

What is that supposed to mean? Gao has great technique...her 3/3 and 3flip are among the best in the world. With Orser in her corner, I think she'll be just fine.
  5. haribobo

I think jlai just meant that for every US 18+ lady trying to make a rise/ comeback, there are 5 or 10 younger girls coming up the ranks who are just as good or better that will make that "comeback girl" not able to reach the top again. Which is often true, but then then as an eternal optomist, I always hold out hope for my favorites to make their mark before they get cast aside. Sure, the momentum is with Gao and Zawadzki at this time....but then a few years ago the momentum was with Kimmie, Katy Taylor, Bebe Liang, and more recently Deedee Leng and Ellie Kawamura. Things change years to years in this sport, and a skater who survives puberty in tact is often the most serious contendor of all.....
  6. jlai

jlai Title-less

Thanks, haribobo. :) That's exactly what I meant.

That said, for US to be as successful as Japan, US can't just rely on teenage phenoms any more, esp. now that girls won't be able to peak at 15/16 and snatch gold at worlds or Olympics ala Lipinski/Hughes.

US has to develop girls who can surive puberty to some extent, and it does help to have some strong twenty somethings like Japan's Akiko Suzuki or Nakano. I think USFSA meant well when they promoted Czisny last year to pursue that effort, but alas, you can't buck the Forte vs. Gao trend. :(
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I've copied the first 2 quoted posts below from the Russian up and coming ladies thread in the Trash Can:
    Kulgeyko showed 2 different triples in Nationals (toe and sal) and had a popped flip in her FS (planned triple attempt?). Gracie Gold landed two 3Lz and a 3F in her Novice FS and I will be interested to see how she monitors this summer.

It's been discussed already, but having a consistent 3Lo may be a factor in selection because 2 or 3Lo is the required solo jump from steps in the Junior SP in 2010-11. Both Siraj and Jiang attempted 3Lo as Novices at Gardena Spring Trophy earlier this month (Jiang landed it as her combo in the Novice SP there).
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Men, I don't know who's retiring so I won't try to figure it out.

Ladies:

SGP: Flatt (2), Nagasu (2), Wagner (2), Gao (2), Dobbs (2), Zhang (2)
    Gilles (1), Czisny (1), Liang (1), Hughes/Meissner if they compete (1)

^^ depending on space, I wouldn't be surprised if Gilles and Czinsy each got 2 spots. Also Liang might not get any, but she did do well at nationals so they might still give her one.

Senior Bs: Czisny, Gilles, Liang, Zawadzki

JGP: Zawadzki (2), Baga (2), Siraj (2), Davis (2), Cesario (2), Jiang (2),Gong (1), Wang (1)

Regionals and Sectionals: Musademba, Maxwell, Kawamura
    The first two where they withdrew and Ellie where she did so poorly at nationals. But all three did well on the JGP this season so they might get international assignments, senior Bs maybe?
  9. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

As already pointed out, Czisny is almost guaranteed to be assigned to the SGP should she stick around next season. Her ISU World Ranking is safely within the top 24, and her SB score is in the top 75, too. I can't see her not getting assigned a GP event and being relegated to a Senior B event only.

ETA: Sorry, pinky! I missed that in your original post.:eek:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  10. Sylvia

If Zawadzki is assigned to the JGP, she is not likely get a Senior B as well (Liang, Hughes, Bulanhagui and/or anyone with 1 GP or none may be considered). Last year, 4 U.S. ladies, 6 men, 3 pairs, and 4 dance teams ended up with Senior B assignments.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  11. pinky166

I know, that's why I said she will definitely get 1 SGP assignment and possibly 2. Alissa normally gets senior B assignments as well because they help with her confidence and nerves, so I predict that if she continues she will get either 1 SGP assignment and 1 Senior B assignment or 2 SGP assignments. She'll definitely get a SGP assignment, the question is just whether 1 assignment or 2.
  12. pinky166

I was more thinking if Agnes doesn't do the JGP, she might do a senior B and get 1 SGP assignment.
  13. Sylvia

Czisny received a Senior B assignment this past season because USFS reportedly asked all the Grand Prix skaters if they wanted an extra comp. before their GP events and, as the 2009 national champ, she got first dibs on Nebelhorn. The year before, she was assigned to Nebelhorn because she had received 1 GP in the initial selection round (she ended up getting a 2nd one at the last minute).
  14. RUKen

RUKen Guest

She's currently the two-time champion of the Nebelhorn Trophy. No lady has ever won three Nebelhorns, so she may be interested in going again.
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. query5

query5 New Member

i have been doing a rough draft with everyone in from last year for women
    guaranteed two is---mirai and rachel, probably two is ashley, carolina zhang , alissa- definitely 1--is agnes zawadki-could get two; christina gao- might get two depends on how; where assigned, and definitely 1 is amanda dobbs.
    possible 1 for alexe gilles
    l
    it depends on who stays in which skaters from other countries stay junior or jumps up to senior-so it is possible that only mirai and rachel gets two and ashley carolina alissa agnes amanda and christina gao gets one.
    the men i worked out i don't remember who.
    but i went by 24 at worlds, top 24 scores and top 24 world rankings .
    i didn't go by nationals at all.
    s
  16. pinky166

I think with Caroline's 4CC medal and Ashley making the GPF - they will each get 2. Alissa and Amanda I don't think definitely will only get 1 - they could get 2 but it just depends on numbers, though if they do only get 1 I think each would also get a senior B assignment.

Agnes I think will do JGP, Christina might even do JGP again though I assume will move to seniors. If she does SGP I think she will get 2 because of her medal at the JGPF - I think she would get 2 assignments before Amanda or Alissa. She has one gauranteed and USFSA could give her SA if she doesn't get invited to another event.

Russians I think only Makarova and Shelepen will move to seniors. Gerdboldt is doing pairs, Gozeva won't get an assignment if Shelepen moves up. Agafonova, Ovcharova, Birukova I assume will do JGP again as they are so young.

Also if Rachael is in college full-time will she even be competing?

Kimmie is a question mark and the last time she competed she was doing very poorly - I agree the USFSA should give a SA assignment to Angela Maxwell over Kimmie. Angela is an incredible talent and is young with lots of potential. Plus she's so spunky and energetic she is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
  17. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Maxwell and Musademba have already done three seasons on the JGP. I'd rather see them in senior Bs and agree that Maxwell would be a great pick for Skate America.
  18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Musademba has managed to have a very uneven three seasons, and I'm not sure that she ought to get even a Senior B this year -- she needs to buckle down and do well at the qualifying events and go into Nationals healthy and well-prepared. It does seem quite wrong to even consider putting her on the JGP circuit again given all of the other skaters and the limited number of JGP spots. She had her chances, and lots of them, and for a variety of reasons couldn't capitalize on them.
  19. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Speaking of Angela Maxwell, I believe it was reported around nationals that she had left her then coach Craig Maurizi. Who is her new coach? Is she still training in Hackensack?
  20. haribobo

While I more or less agree with your point, barbk, I'd say that Musademba has done fairly well for herself over the past 3 years- only 5 or 6 US ladies have a better track record. She's made several JGPFs and shown lots of promise...but her success trajectory has kind of stayed on the same medium level, not unlike what's happened to Bereswill and Gilles. I actually think Kristine has more potential than either of them but didn't move up to senior GP so we didnt see where she fit in there and then the injury destroyed her season. Angela Maxwell and Kristine are caught in limbo a bit at the moment and they'll have to get a lucky break or two to get on the GP and back into the mix. I'll be rooting for them- should be interesting to see what develops! With the right set of circumstances, either of them could hit top 5 at Nationals, but it will be a bit of an uphill climb.
  21. SUN

SUN New Member

Regarding pairs at Senior GP.
    I think no pair will get 2 events if they are not among 12 at the recent Worlds (i.e. are guaranted 2 events). This is what happened last year (after original assignment and before withdrawals). And this is because there are only 8 pairs per event, so hardly enough spots even to provide guaranted events.
  22. pinky166

Musademba I don't know much about, seems a little inconsistent based on her JGP results but she is a nice skater. Angela I think is fantastic and if she could finally get out on the senior GP circuit I think she could do well for herself in a couple more years. I know she's pretty much all about the jumps and needs to work on her PCS and artistry, but she is just so FUN to watch, her jumps are huge, she has lots of energy and spunk, and she's fast. I'd rather watch her than Caroline or Alissa any day.
  23. Sylvia

With both Musademba and Maxwell having withdrawn from Nationals, I will be interested to see if, when and how they compete this summer.

Moved over from the Zhang thread:
    Skaters don't lose their eligibility when they tour with SOI. Also, Czisny, if she confirms she is competing next season, could end up being invited to a 2nd GP by one of the 5 other host countries.
  24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Professioinal competitions make someone lose eligibilty. Like Lambiel losing eligibility for On Thin Ice.
  25. pinky166

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. Yeah, Alissa I'm kind of putting in the same boat as Fumie right now, if they want to keep skating, all the more power to them, they are both lovely, but at this point I think a comeback from either isn't likely. I'm just surprised Alissa wants to continue competing, I'd imagine she must get so upset when her nerves cause her to bomb time and again, it must be frustrating.
  26. Sylvia

From the Detroit Free Press' 4/30 SOI preview article (scroll down to the end): http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...lty-at-the-Palace-Sunday&template=fullarticle
    Also, I posted article links about 2 potential U.S. ladies (Zawadzki and Siraj) who are likely to debut on the JGP in this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2743737&postcount=92
  27. pinky166

Thanks! Yasmin is soo cute, I'm excited to see her skate on the JGP, she is such a little fire cracker!
  28. Sylvia

FYI, U.S. Figure Skating has added a new page on their site titled 2010-11 International Selection Pool that "includes all Team A, B and C age-eligible athletes and any other athletes being considered for an international competition."
  29. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Interesting page.

For pairs Brooke/Ben are listed here but not in the team envelope so probably retired. Marina Guterres/Justin Schumann are listed here but were on IPS so probably split.

Those that were not in the A, B, C teams but on the Int selection pool these and my guess at their assignment. Anyone else want to do the same for ladies/men/dance?

Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen -B
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir -GP based on world rank for sure
    Tracy Tanovich/Michael Chau -JGP
    Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin -B
    Morgan Agster/Adam Civiello -JGP
    Olivia Oltmanns/Joshua Santillan -JGP
    Morgan Sowa/David Leenen -JGP
  30. Sylvia

Castile/Okolski's and Liang's names have now been removed from the ISP list. I believe Guterres/Schumann are still listed in the ISP because they have not made their split official even though Schumann is currently listed on IPS (icepartnersearch.com).

And just to clarify -- not everyone listed in the ISP is guaranteed an international assignment but they all will be monitored this summer. Also, singles skaters/teams not currently listed, plus any newly formed teams, could be considered for a possible assignment based on their summer competition performances.
  31. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Following the link to Champs Camp from the ISP page, it appears USFS has made changes. It will no longer be in June but at the end of August and skaters will be performing their programs for feedback/monitoring. It sounds like what the Canadian fed has done for the past few seasons, and it's probably more useful to the skaters than having to sit in 2 days of seminars. The drawback is that their programs have to be ready, and esp this year, that will be a challenge for the skaters who are on SOI and won't likely start on new programs until the middle/end of June (and are probably exhausted).
  32. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

And for the dancers who can't make a Short Dance until they learn exactly what it's supposed to contain and that it will indeed be the requirement.

Or an OD if that proposal surprisingly doesn't pass.
  33. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

FYI...There will not be a "champs camp" this year, for all of the team envelope skaters, there will be mini-camps attached to three major summer competitions: Liberty Open, Detroit Open and Glacier Falls Summer Classic (for pairs it will be at Indy, and for dance Lake Placid). It is being strongly suggested to the skaters that they enter a non-qual over the summer, that is in conjunction with their monitoring and mini-camp.

Sylvia: I stand corrected on the Senior GP skater/teams only....should have clarified that..thanks.
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  34. Sylvia

As Debbie S mentioned above, there will be a Champs Camp this year, but it will be for the Senior Grand Prix skaters/teams only and will take place in Colorado Springs from August 26-29 -- see: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=428

I only wish Tanovich/Chau, after 6 seasons together, could have held on long enough to finally experience a JGP this fall. :(
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  35. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah that is a shame that they just missed out.
  36. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  37. Sylvia

38. jlai

jlai Title-less

4th at novice is rock bottom? Novice nationals, junoir nationals?
    :confused:
  39. Sylvia

Well, I don't consider that particular reporter (Gomez) to be very knowledgeable about skating... ;)
  40. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

To be polite, he's an idiot who is obligated to write about skating. He constantly writes things that are grossly inaccurate.