Google+

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by triple_toe, Jul 20, 2011.

1. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

So... has anyone tried it? I was offered an invitation and I'm wondering whether it's worth checking out or not. To be honest, I was thinking about deleting my facebook (the only social media I use) altogether, so I'm not sure if I want to get involved with Google+ as well. I don't really know what the differences between the two are, but it seems that privacy on Google+ will be handled much better than on facebook.

Have/would you make the switch?

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I haven't even looked at it yet, but it seems like the only thing people don't like about it so far is that hardly anyone is there.

I resisted the social media wave for so long before joining Facebook...just the thought of starting up with another site makes me tired. But FB and their annoying changes have been pissing me off so much, why not?

Of course, who's to say that Google+ won't make all sorts of crazy changes once it's accumulated enough members and established itself as the go-to social media site?

3. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

So far so good. :)

I have been able to post a vid of a skating program that I can't post on youtube or fb. I like the idea of the circles and I'm hoping that my family circle per se, won't be shared with say another other circle. So, we'll see.

4. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Love it since no applications there. :)

5. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I just signed up a few days ago and I have a huge number in my "circles"... I think I'm up to 3 or 4 people now, lol.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I joined but have not done anything with it since. It is kind of pointless if you don't know many people using it and I love FB. I probably wont switch to it unless I am forced because everyone abandons FB, which I hope doesn't happen.

7. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I’m inclined to try it. I’m not on FB as they seem to think they own one’s privacy. Maybe Google+ will be a little more respectful. Besides, I already use gmail, the calendar, and Picasaweb

8. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'd love to try it if anyone has any invites spare. My email address is the same as my username at gmail. :)

9. myhoneyhoney

I just sent you one!

10. Angelskates

Thanks! So did pat_c. :)

I don't like it :shuffle: I guess because I'm so used to facebook, this is just one more thing to learn?

11. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'd love to try it but no one has any invites out. Friends are liking it so far!

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think I have some invites, just message me your email address if you want one. Not sure how many I get so first come first serve.

13. myhoneyhoney

No problem. I know what you mean, it's confusing me. ♥ FB but hate the changes they always make without telling us. grrr

14. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Yes, it's one more thing to learn. It is more about conversation etc. So far no games, which is ok. I think there is a place for both google+ and fb.

FarFarAway and (deleted member) like this.
  15. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I have some invites left if anyone wants one.

Since I'm a huge google user (picasaa, gmail, calendar etc), I guess G+ is more to my liking.

16. myhoneyhoney

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You have to use Google Chrome though. Since it constantly crashes for me, I don't... :(

18. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I like it -- then again, I have a fair number of super-geeky friends who actually post, so it's reasonably busy. I also just got an iPhone :cheer2: and their free Google+ app is very handy. And I really like the circles; they were much easier for me to figure out than FB's various lists.

19. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

Anyone know if there are any issues with using Google+ on an iPad? I'm intrigued, but cautious.

20. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I've been hearing nothing but good things about Google+. I love all things Google; gmail and the calendar have been a godsend this past year.
    If anyone has any spare invites...please and thank you? :)

21. Angelskates

PM me your email :)

22. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

23. Angelskates

My one major reason for wanting G+ to work is that FB is banned by the PTB where I live, and I was hoping G+ wouldn't be. It was on day one though, and still remains banned. I use a VPN, but it's annoying on my mobile devices.

Google+'s mobile settings work fine on my iPad. No issues at all. I'd rather them have an app than a website though, but I am sure it will come.

24. Angelskates

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's what jumped out to me too - and will keep me off it. Thanks for sharing the article, Prancer.

26. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I think people using any free (or even some not free) websites/applications/services/etc. are deluding themselves if they think their privacy means anything. Those providing the product have to make their money somehow and it's usually by selling your info.

I use Google as my search engine, therefore I don't use Gmail, etc. I'm not going to make tracking my every move online for them any easier. :p

I don't care about Google+ or Facebook (and previously MySpace) as social networking websites don't appeal to me. I think Facebook's privacy is ridiculous, I don't expect Google+ to be any better. It's not about protecting your privacy, it's about exploiting your privacy.

27. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Bumping this up. Just started with google+. Seems a pretty calm place. Not much for distractions.