Google Earth -- can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BaileyCatts, Apr 2, 2013.

1. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I've been working on this for like 4 hours now and nothing I am doing is working so maybe someone here knows what happened and can help a no technik person. :eek:

I use Google Earth alot to sort of "drive my route" when going places in my city and surrounding areas I am unfamiliar with, so I can get a visual picture on intersections and turns, etc. Worked fine two days ago, now all of a sudden Google Earth doesn't work for me, I get a message about DirectX mode so I looked up that error message, saw some things about what to do, did them, still doesn't work.

I've removed and reloaded Google Earth numerous times, same with the DirectX update, and finally got to a point where I get the big globe when you open Google Earth, but when I put in an address and it zooms in, I only get very basic sort of "stick figure" drawings of the streets, etc., instead of the full blow visual camera shots I always got before. Like I could "drive down the highway" to the exit, follow the exit, follow my turns, etc, viewing all the buildings I will see. I can't get that version of Google Earth back. I've got all the Layers clicked, I don't know why I can't get it back to normal Google Earth.

Can anyone help (and understand what I'm saying at 5 am in the morning)? :)

2. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

If I'm not being un-helpful, have you tried google maps? You can get street views, directions, etc. I use maps for directions and viewing the neighbourhoods much more than Google earth. I find it quick and easy.

3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks for that. I never used google maps. It's kinda the same thing so I can visually drive my route and see the area. I hate driving in unfamiliar places and just having that picture helps a great deal, especially when dealing with rush hour traffic and not knowin' where I am going. :)