Goodbye JR (Larry Hagman).....(threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Holley Calmes, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

So sorry to hear this. I will miss JR/Larry Hagman. RIP Larry.

3. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Are we sure this is true? There was a very believable report of his death hitting FB and other social media a day or two ago. His people stated that he was alive and well at that time.

So sad if it is true :(

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

5. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

His daughter is an artist and lives in Seattle with her husband and daughter, and I'm sure it's a very sad time for them.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

R.I.P. JR

8. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

People always associate Hagman with Dallas, but I liked him best in I Dream of Jeanie as Major Anthony Nelson. He was good at comedy. :)

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  9. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

RIP, Mr. Hagman.

10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Very sad news. :( RIP, Larry.

12. Vash01

There is already a thread about this.

13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Apologies. This is the correct thread. Please could somebody remove this thread and merge the comments in with the correct one. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  14. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Just heard this sad news - Larry Hagman, one of a kind, RIP

That Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy were with him at the end is :fragile: but fitting. Their tributes are very moving.

15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

People may associate Hagman with Dallas and I Dream of Jeannie, but for me I will always be as Mike Karr's troubled brother-in-law on The Edge of Night.

RIP.

16. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

R.I.P. Larry. I think he had a ton of fun playing such a ruthless cad on &#8220;Dallas&#8221; when he was nothing like that.

17. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Very sad. RIP

He was great in Dallas and I Dream of Jeannie

18. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

RIP Great actor and from everything I have read, a great guy. Hagman was so great as JR! and Major Nelson.
    I am a big Dallas fan, always have been. And I always thought it was great that Hagman, Duffy and Grey were such good friends.
    Even though it is a fictional show, how they deal with JRs death in the new show later on will seem too real, especially when Bobby and Sue Ellen are told.

19. Vash01

I read in the article that Linda Grey and Patrick Duffy were by his bedside when he passed away. It's so touching. It's rare that actors that worked together are that close off the screen.

20. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Rest in peace, "Major Tony Nelson"! :(

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's amazing that the son of such a legendary theatrical figure as Mary Martin became an iconic actor in his own right.
    It was difficult; as he wanted to "make it" on his own.
    He did...and how!

Here's his tribute to her, at the 1989 "Kennedy Center Honors":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAlS8ejR4QY

I will miss him.
    What a legacy of wonderful performances he gave us.

An appreciation of one of his best dramatic roles:
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/enterta...mbering-larry-hagman-20121124,0,1187473.story
    RIP.

22. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

From the CBC...

CBC News ~ Dallas TV star Larry Hagman dies

I don't know if any of the other articles out there has this story he tells of a visit to Romania, so just in case...

I didn't know he was a Korean Air Force Vet either. Another of our Vets from that time gone. :(

I have seen some mention of the controversy when he recieved his Liver Transplant due to the cause of why his liver failed. However, from all I've heard over the years, Mr. Hagman did everything a Transplant Patient needed to do to keep both his new friend and himself healthy. At least on that front. :(

What I didn't know and I read in the article at the Globe and Mail was how he paid the Transplant Centre back. If there was someone who got their call for a Liver Transplant and the realization of just what is about to happen hits them so hard, they're terrified, if he was available and there was time for him to get to the hospital, the Transplant Unit would bring Mr. Hagman in to talk to that person. He said that he'd just sit there and talk to them about how, yes, it's scary and it's not a little thing that's about to happen. However, everything is going to be OK in the end.

There's even a picture over there of him speaking at the Transplant Games and pulling up his shirt to show off his scar from the Surgery. :D

He really was quite the man. GodSpeed Sir, Thank You and Rest in Peace. :(

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I used the watch I Dream Of Jeannie reruns every day when I was a kid. Fond memories.

RIP, Mr. Hagman. Another great gone.

24. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

A true television legend was Mr. Hagman. One has only to see an episode of Jeannie and one of Dallas to see what a skilled actor he was. It's a shame that he couldn't continue with the Dallas revival. I hope there is a good storyline that gives J.R. a departure worthy of his character.

25. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

So sad. Great guy, I'm gonna miss him.
    RIP Larry

26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As do I.

27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I was away this weekend and was not in front of a tv except to exercise. I now can post my condolences to him and his loved ones.

He was so adept in both comedy and drama (although one of the reasons JR is such an iconic character was at least in part due to Mr. Hagman's comedic timing when it came to JR having to put down one of the other characters).

He was also a lot of fun on Desperate Housewives.

He will be missed.

28. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

RIP :(

I think JR is one of the reasons I've always liked the gray characters and villlians on TV.

29. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

My condolences to his family and friends. I was a Dallas uber, loved/hated JR and watched every episode
    along with everyone else. Thank you Larry and farewell. You will not be forgotten.

30. duane

duane New Member

I think I watch too much television. I'm thinking more of the passing of JR than the passing of Larry Hagman!