Goodbye, cruel words: English. It's dead to me

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jlai, Oct 10, 2010.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I'm gonna let Prancer tackle the last sentence of the piece. I know that's one of her pet peeves. :D
  3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Mine, too. And it’s a double down! :mad:
  4. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

My writing group got a big kick out of that column last month. Of course, we do have a few members who believe that grammar and spelling are optional, and following rules is a sign of needless conformity.
  5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

:rofl:

When I was teaching and coaching speech, my biggest non-word pet peeve was judges writing "pronounciate" or "pronounciation" on score sheets when they meant "enunciate" or "enunciation". :rolleyes:
  6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

The sad thing is, I know a couple of English majors who talk/write like that. And who think that "irregardless" and "thusly" are just fine.
  7. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Oh dear the English language is doomed. Needless apostrophes, lousy spelling, it makes this former English major weep. :(
  8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I kind of like the "doggy dog world" phrase.

But this is nothing new. I sat in an upper division geography class thirty years ago while the professor roared a rant about the idiotic students who'd written "alpha alpha" as the answer to a test question on primary animal fodders in a certain country. Apparently, out of our class of twenty or so, five or six students had made this same error. One, I am sure, that they never repeated.
  9. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Needless apostrophes are one of my pet peeves. Especially when people put them in verbs.
  10. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

We moved into our particular area because the school district is the best in the county. My son's 4th grade teacher sent home the very first class newsletter with the misspelling of principal. I rolled my eyes, figured she knocked that out quickly but since then I've noticed she has misspelled receive and their. She did not seem to get the spelling rules downpat in grade school.:lol:
  11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Proofreading my boss's papers/grants is always an exercise in :scream:

Not only is there "thusly" but there's also "firstly." And three-clause sentences that go on for 4 lines. And one doozy that will go down in infamy: "but yet." :rofl: I crossed that out with gusto, lemme tell you. After my head hit the desk.

It was also amusing for the most recent grant, when it had passed through 5 hands and I was the first person to catch "polulation." :rofl: My boss was grateful for that one, since that was gonna go to the NCI. :lol:
  12. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

The worst butchers of the language, imo, are the sellers on the home shopping channels. They love to say that a pair of earrings "matches/works back to" or "goes back with" a pendant. They love to say "more pretty" instead, of course, "prettier".

Another new term I can't stomach is "adopt out" instead of "put up for adoption": this isn't just about people, but pets, or even just items that are being given away. Other overuses of "out": "frame the room out" and "switch out".

"Oldest" instead of "eldest". Never getting "I" and "me" correct. Putting themselves first in a sentance: "Me and him", ugh! As much as I love the show "Psych", "Sean" never and I mean never gets that right. Never. "Most unique" when of course, "unique" is an absolute.

Oh, and I cannot leave out the overuse of the word "did". Once in awhile, for emphasis, it's nice to say (for example), "he did do that"; but it's being used all. the. time. and now every sentance seems to have that emphasis where it doesn't belong.

Sorry, this thread is like opening a can of worms for me... somebody stop me! My private school was strict! And getting things correct is so easy if one just puts one's mind to it!

-Bridget, who is praying she didn't make any grammatical or spelling errors herein :eek:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  13. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

:shuffle:
  14. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Saying someone is "more pretty" or "more happy" is a perfectly acceptable alternative to "prettier" or "happier". Often it gives more elegance to a sentence (though I'm not saying that's necessarily the case in the example you cite).

What I really can't bear is the way nouns are increasingly being turned into verbs. Words such as 'progress' and 'action' have now become transitive verbs, e.g. "to action something". This usage seems to be spreading from the US to Britain, sadly. I know all languages evolve, but using a noun as a verb because the correct verb might not be immediately obvious just seems like laziness.
  15. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

At least they didn't say, "more prettier." :D

I just edited four documents for my company. One of my jobs is to make everything concise and easy-to-read. I felt like the person who originally wrote the documents was being paid for word usage by the letter. My pet peeve with this particular set of documents was that the author consistently wrote "utilize" when "use" would've sufficed. Also, she stuck "will" in a lot of places where it wasn't necessary. Thanks goodness that project is over!

I agree that turning nouns into verbs is especially aggravating. "E-mail me," versus, "Send me an e-mail," is one of my pet peeves. Along those lines, I really hate use of the word "sexing" in some pop songs. Ugh and ick. This one makes my skin crawl!
  16. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I hate nouns being turned into adjectives by adding a -y to the end. Or, worse, adding a final -y to a word that already is an adjective.
  17. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Not all prayers are granted. :p
  18. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Squibble, eys, that will teach me not to post language/spelling pet peeves at 3am, :lol

-Bridget
  19. znachki

znachki Active Member

My favorite story on this subject: I was standing in line at the Post Office, looking around the way you do, when I saw this sticker on the stamp dispensing machine, "Dollar Bills Excepted". Of course, what was really meant was accepted. When I shook my head and made some sort of "tsk" noise, the woman in front of me asked me what was wrong. When I pointed out the error, she looked at me and said, "life must be very difficult for you".

For the most part - I blame "spell check"
  20. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That's one of the malapropisms that I especially hate! :lynch: :dog: Mainly because it makes not a whit of sense, but probably my being a cat person factors in just a wee bit. Oh well, if it really is a "doggy dog" world, I hope they at least get all the bitches "spaded"! :p
    I had to read that sentence twice before I figured out what they had meant. :lol: I guess they never had a chance to see the Little Rascals on TV.
  21. mkats

mkats New Member

:lol: not related to alfalfa, but when I was in middle school we got a very similar question on primary animal fodders in a geography class. The girl behind me put "meat" :p

Back to English... one of my friends was a chemistry undergrad TA. One of the labs involved extraction of pigments from shredded spinach. You wouldn't believe how many ways people came up with to spell spinach (sometimes in the same lab report!) :(
  22. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

But mail is a verb so I don't see why email would be unacceptable as a verb. Sometimes I verb things (hehe) but only ironically.
  23. jl

jl Active Member

Email's a verb in Scrabble, too! ;)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Good one.....:rollin:

So are the jargony phrases bloated with bogus compassion in which the word “challenged”, placed after various adverbs, is used to describe one’s mental, physical, economic and other unfavorable condition or circumstances…. :D.

I don’t see much difference between “mentally challenged” and a “dumb idiot”……. Except that a “dumb idiot” is more likely to comprehend the meaning of “dumb idiot” than the meaning of “mentally challenged”.
  25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Here's one that drives me crazy: "these ones."

Isn't it "these" or "this one?" Or am I wrong here?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The one expression I loathe and sadly see everywhere is "the fact of the matter is". Not only is this poor writing (my English teacher said so, and I agree), it's also often used to refer to things that are not actual facts. Yuck.

I also dislike the ever-increasing tendency to report in present rather than past tense. If it happened in the past, I don't want a play by play - use past tense!
  27. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

:D

Are you talking about the historical present in literature or in general?
    I like it in literature, it's very common in German. But I can't stand it in newspaper, it's very sensational and something that sets crap newspaper apart from high quality newspapers.
  28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm not overly fond of present tense in literature, but it can sometimes be used to good effect. But mostly I was referring to present tense in journalism - print, online and broadcast. It's becoming more common even in what should be high quality media.
  29. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Two posts from another thread, in successive posts, that made me smile:

"he believes in the tenants of his religion" and "my tollerance for massive crowds has waned over the years."

:)
  30. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

It wasn't until I said "What is 'alpha alpha'?" that I realized what they were trying to say. As soon as a heard "alpha alpha" I realized they meant alfalfa.
  31. skatingfan5

I wonder how much rent he is charging. ;)
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  32. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Now, now, everyone. Don't loose it.

(That one makes me want to scream! It's all over the place, too, like some sort of viral mutant typo.)
  33. skatingfan5

That's the right attitude! Don't take English language abuse laying down! ;) Anymore I'm tired of people playing fast and lose with there grammar, spelling, and whatnot. :p
  34. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:rofl: I read this thread, then the very next thread I read, in the first post, it's/its is misused not once, but twice!
  35. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

The one that makes me crazy is "connect" when it's used in place of "call" or "meet with", i.e. "I've been trying to connect with him for a week" or "When would you like to connect?".
  36. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

This is actually a correctly spelled word -- it means enjoyment of Toller's skating. :p
  37. jlai

jlai Title-less

tollerance - tolerance of highway tolls
    trollerance - putting up with trolls on discussion boards :p
    Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  38. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Indeed. Thomas Hardy used it several times in Far from the Massive Madding Crowd. ;)
  39. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That was probably what caused the professor, to, ahem (sorry, sk8r1964) loose it. ;) I remember him railing about the utter stupidity of students who heard something - alpha alpha in this case -- and who never thought to ask, "Why would this province of China have a fodder I've never heard of," or, "Why would a Chinese fodder be named using the spelling of letters from the Greek alphabet?" as well as general comments on their overall education if they'd really never heard about alfalfa by that point in their educations.

It is much funnier in retrospect, but at the time I just prayed that I would never, ever do anything that would cause him to get that mad at me. I wonder what he thinks of it now?

But, it's a doggy dog world world out there, and the tenants of my religion are generally cat people, so I'm kind of stuck. Maybe we'll connect in a better way going forward, when I'm able to reach out with greater tollerance. ;)
  40. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Oh, that's another thing my boss does when writing papers. It can be complicated, because we're often referring to experiment methodology done in the past, but at the same time, we're also referring to results from those experiments that are presently true. :wall: