Good FS blogs?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Spareoom, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

So, I don't know if this thread is going to get shut down or not; as far as I know it's allowed but if I'm wrong, I do apologize.

I'm a fairly casual figure skating fan; I follow the major competitions and such, but I have to be fairly informed as to exactly when they're going on and where I can find info. I haven't been looking into much this season and I finally realized why; I'm not following any FS blogs! I had a few that I read during the last few years, but a few of them shut down or went on hiatus and the others; I don't recall what happened to them.

So I was wondering, what would you recommend for a good (or several good) blogs about figure skating? It can be as elaborate as opinion pieces, or just competition run-downs with results and thoughts included. I love following this sport but I admit that my life is so crazy that I need just a bit of help getting to where I need to go!

Thank you so much in advance. :D

2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Just an entry, not a figure skating blog, but I enjoyed reading Eve Tushnet's thoughts about the programs and styles of various late-80s/early-90s men.

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I currently follow two to three blogs;
    The Naked Ice Blog, which is operated by kwanatic here in FSU:D,
    Aunt Joyce Ice Cream Stand,
    and
    Skating Passion which is a rather new blog but the organizers have such candid and interesting insight about FS. This blog has something different from others.

Naked Ice keep competition results and reviews very up-to-date, in Aunt Joyce's blog, there's real something you can really appreciate that it is my highest joy to visit there, and Skating Passion offers really, really, really great reviews and insights on various figure skating occasion.

I think I follow these blogs at least once a week, or even more when competitions are going under.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I like Morozombie - when there are posts (it's kind of on again/off again) it's very entertaining. I also read Tony Wheeler's blog occasionally.

Aunt Joyce is a mixed bag for me - he's very opinionated with a distinct point of view, which is great for a blogger. But when he posts frequently the quality tends to slip, IMO, and I wish he'd do separate gymnastics and skating blogs, or at least have an easy way to separate them on the blog itself; a lot of the readers are interested in one and not the other.

5. sadya

sadya Active Member

6. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Spareroom for your query and everyone for their blog suggests.

I particularly enjoyed Morozombie's "Facta Non Verba" discussion about the bad and good use of lyrics in figure skating. Loved his video posts of good skating to lyrics, especially The Kerrs 2009 Worlds FD; Weaver/ Poje 2012 Worlds FD; a lovely remembrance of Michelle Kwan's 1997 Worlds exhibition to Winter (how fantastic that was -- she really deserved to pull out the title that year too, IMO); and Stephane Lambiel's absolutely wonderful Art On Ice performance to My Body Is a Cage, which I hadn't seen before. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXK9qvj2QNY Stephane superlative artiste! :inavoid:

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

9. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

My blog, started back in 2009, is back in action. After a long hiatus (life got in the way :)), I have switched from Blogspot to WordPress. I'm hoping to update it more frequently, but we'll see. :)

Here's the link...a new look and a new home for Minnesota Ice.

10. icemusings

icemusings Member