good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience - new book thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I did that just once, with The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. Major letdown, that book.

2. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Drum roll please. After nearly 4 years I finally Finished Vanity Fair. I'm so glad it's finished. There were times I was reading paragraph by paragraph. I finally found a secret for reading these kinds of books. They are great reading in waiting rooms - doctor, dentist, etc.

I can see why it's a classic but I didn't enjoy Thackeray's jaundiced view. The only character I really liked was Dobbin. Thackeray pretty much trashed all the other characters in one way or another. I didn't see the humor and it didn't make me smile, but then I don't enjoy acerbic forms of humor. I will remember it, but I won't be going back to it.

TygerLily likes this.
  3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think that book had a lot of filler - it was written as a serial. I liked the "bad" girl Rebecca and her husband, they seemed real. I skipped through all the pages lifted from Burke's Peerage. It was like reading the telephone book. I probably skipped a lot of Amelia too. Nobody is that big a drip.

Thackery's wife went insane at a young age and outlived him by 30 years. Given the attitude towards mental illness in the 19th century and the fact that he couldn't remarry, I guess that could make him view society cynically. It was a popular belief in his day that he was Rochester from Jane Eyre, although Bronte denied it. She did dedicate the book to him though.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  4. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Aw, I loved The Chaperone! Why didn't you like it?

Precisely. That's how I'm taking on Proust's Swann's Way (which I chose to read because it's the book that's been on my Goodreads to-read list the longest - since February 2009).

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'm afraid I endured rather than enjoyed that one as well, when I had to read it in college. :) It had some good stuff in it, but it was kind of a slog on the whole.

A couple of reasons. For one thing,
    I heartily dislike the Affair That Makes Everything All Better trope.
    For another, I thought the resolutions of all the conflicts felt very 21st-century instead of the time period it was supposed to be set in. And finally, I thought the author made Louise an unspeakable brat. Reading (I should say hearing) about her was more of a chore than anything.

6. puglover

puglover Active Member

Two new releases as of today - Stephen King's "Revival" and Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's new Pendergast book - "Blue Labyrinth" in NA anyway.

7. Nan

Nan Just me

I just finished Defending Jacob by William Landay. If it hadn't been on my Nook, I would have thrown it across the room. :mad:

Southpaw likes this.
  8. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I have Amanda Quick's "Wicked Widow" going on audio in the car. The Oh-So-British narrator keeps raiding and dropping the volume of her voice -for emphasis, I assume - so that I have to fiddle with the volume in order to hear entire sentences. I'm still in my paranormal phase and reading Kim Harrison's "The Good, the Bad and the Undead" in print at home. How low my taste in literature has fallen as I get older! :)

9. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

:lol: Would that have been at the end or before the end?

I saw the end coming, but there were places leading up to that where I wanted to wring the father's neck.

Nan likes this.
  10. Nan

Nan Just me

Before, during AND after. ;) I'm not really sure why I kept reading!