good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience - new book thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

If you liked An American Tragedy, you will probably like Sister Carrie--not that the story is the same at all, but it's Dreiser's style and Naturalistic themes that turns a lot of people off.

Winesburg is a pretty good deal for $1; you should give in one last time.

I think I will go poke through the bargain bin.

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I just gave in one last buck for The Octopus by Frank Norris and the formatting looks like such ass that I don't think I'll be able to read it.

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

For those of you who read historical romance and historical fiction - have there been any new releases and authors that have impressed you? I'm looking for new-to-me authors and having very little luck.

4. Southpaw

I picked up The Last Telegram in the El Cheapo bin, but haven't touched it yet so I can't tell you whether it's worth the three bucks I spent on it or not.

5. Nan

Nan Just me

Who have you already read?

6. Zemgirl

It's a long list ;) I figured it would be more effective to just see what other people have enjoyed recently (and thanks, Southpaw - I'll look into that).

7. Prancer

Norris :scream: I am still trying to get over McTeague.

If you call B&N and bitch about the format, they might give you a refund. They've done it for me (but always say it's because I am a very, very good customer).

I'm up to six books from the cheapie bin. I totally blame you for this.

8. Southpaw

If you buy the Peter Criss autobiography they'll start recommending the Vin Diesel biography to you. Uh, not quite B&N, but thanks.

I freaking LOVED McTeague! :cheer:

9. Nan

Nan Just me

Since the beginning of the year, I've read Grace Burrowes, Georgette Heyer, Ashley Gardner (Jennifer Ashley), Josephine Tey, Prue Batten, Bernard Cornwell, Lorraine Heath, and Sharon Kay Penman among others. Maybe there is a name there you haven't tried.

10. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

All I remember about McTeague was the giant tooth and thinking "wtf" the entire time I was reading it.

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons I was reluctant to buy an e-reader. It's just so temping to instantly buy a book. I've had my Kindle just a few weeks and already have over 50 books. Some of them were regular priced and a lot of them are free classics, but a lot of them are the various Kindle deals. I've lost track of the number of times I've said "It's only $1.99" and made that one click. And I've got stacks of physical books I haven't read yet!

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I tried it and abandoned it. I tend to side with Dorothy Parker on Dreiser. :)

(One of my college professors was batty about Faulkner, so we had to wade through As I Lay Dying. Ergh. Even Dreiser would have been better.)

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

after i read the annotated version, i thought it was amazing. i guess i needed an assist.

14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

An annotated version would have been handy! I think our version had a few notes, but not nearly enough.

15. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Just the name Faulkner is enough to make me cringe. One of my professors was also crazy about him, and I can't tell you how much I despised The Sound and the Fury. It drove me batty and I have never been so thrilled to be done with a book...and before that never had I actually been dependent on Cliff Notes.

Leaving that behind... I upended my reading schedule I had planned out and am rereading A Clash of Kings (second A Song of Ice and Fire book) because the show made me realize how many details I'd forgotten.

16. Prancer

Why am I not surprised that you are a fan of Naturalism?

:lol: My Dreiser professor hated Faulkner with the fiery intensity of 10000 suns and bitched about him all the time. I swear he made us read The Sound and The Fury and As I Lay Dying for Modern American Lit just so he could bitch even more and with company.

As he always loved to tell us (at least twice per semester), in an anonymous survey of college literature professors, Faulkner was named the most overrated American author.

:lol: I have something like 1200 books in my Nook account. And all I do is buy them and check more books out the library. Every now and then, I will see a book I've been wanting to read forever on sale and I will try to buy it, only to find that I already own it. And I will tell myself I'm going to read it just as soon as.......

When I got my first Nook, I bought so many 99 cent books that my husband started complaining about the bill. I thought, well, how much can it be? And then I looked :slinkaway. It's amazing how those dollars add up.

I have the summer off and I intend to read a lot. And not buy anything else. Yeah.

17. Southpaw

I also love Faulkner and think that Fitzgerald is the most overrated American author.

18. Zemgirl

Thanks - I've read some of these but will look into the others :)

19. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I have I have had my Kindle Fire HD for about a year and a half. I have a grand total of 34 books on it, 18 audio books and 37 games. Oh, and the alarm clock app.

For Historical Romance, I don't think there's much better now than Mary Jo Putney and Mary Balogh. Sharan Newman does medieval well. Ruth Downie's Roman Britain mysteries have a touch of romance in them sometimes, but if you haven't read Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries, they're defintely a treat. And Elizabeth Peters' (RIP) Amelia Peabody series is fun - at least the earlier ones; I lost interest once her son grew up and took over the adventuring. Teresa/Tracy Grant is my newest discover. I just finished "The Paris Affair" on the Kindle.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Agree completely on Fitzgerald; I just do not get the love. Am neutral on Faulkner; I really enjoyed his shorts stories that I had to read in high school and I loved The Reivers, but I have never delved into his harder works. Where should I start?

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i am pretty sure i've read every faulkner, i went through a big phase at one time. my favorite it light in august.

22. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I love Tracy Grant - she and her mother used to write regency romances under the name "Anthea Malcolm" ... wonderful stuff with lots of political intrigue. Unfortunately they haven't yet been re-released as an ebook, but the old paperbacks are worth hunting down on abebooks or ebay.

I also really like Putney and Balogh (although the former has written some clunkers) - have you read any Carla Kelly? A lot ofher backlist is now only 2.99 on Nook/Kindle. My favorite new historical writer is Courtney Milan; I like Meredith Duran as well; Joanna Bourne would be another if you like Tracy Grant.

And this I guess is more of a historical/paranormal/young adult, but I really enjoyed Libba Bray's "The Diviners" (and the early 20th century setting).

23. Southpaw

Light in August is tremendous.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  24. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I read Jennie Gerhardt and Sister Carrie when I was in high school and college and I loved them both. I loved his style. I found it to be gritty and realistic, which I loved, especially at that age. I haven't read any Fitzgerald or Faulkner though. :shuffle: Maybe I should get to that copy of The Great Gatsby that's been sitting on my e-reader forever.

Right now, I'm reading And the Mountains Echoed. I think I've finally found a book to keep my attention. I gave up on the previous two, including Gone Girl.

25. Zemgirl

I've read a lot of Balogh and Putney. My favorite Balogh novels are Beyond the Sunrise, The Secret Pearl, and One Night for Love. I tend to prefer her standalone novels to her series, and these days, like everyone else, she writes series. Putney's books are usually decent but forgettable reads for me. I agree that Tracy Grant's Daughter of the Game a.k.a. Secrets of a Lady (I liked the original title better) is pretty incredible, but her other books haven't really interested me. I also don't understand why her publisher made her change the characters' names. Carla Kelly once started a thread on a reader forum to bitch about someone who left her a stupid bad review on Amazon - she called the reader spiteful and allergic to change. I don't want to read anything by an author who behaves like that.

Of the newer authors, my favorite is Sherry Thomas; I admire what Courtney Milan is doing, but sometimes I feel like she's checking off social issues and character issues to deal with (still, Unveiled and The Countess Conspiracy are awesome). Duran's prose is wonderful but her books can sometimes read soooooo slooooowww. Joanna Bourne is wonderful. I wish she could write faster, but the quality would probably suffer.

I'm really picky :(

26. zaphyre14

Have you tried Antoinette Stockinburg? I have the first of her "By the Sea" trilogy "Tess" on my Kindle; it's Golden Age Newport seen through the eyes of an Irish immigrant serving girl. I enjoyed Stockinburg's earlier novels but I haven't run across anything by her in a long time. This one started a little slow but I think it's picking up and I am curious as to what happens to Tess.

27. Nan

Nan Just me

I'm reading my first Bourne book now, The Black Hawk, and really like it.

28. Zemgirl

I picked up a couple of her books at the UBS years ago and also got Tess because it was free. I wasn't blown away by any of it...

I'm just having a meh reading year so far. I use an excel file to track what I read and there's almost nothing there for 2014 that's above the pleasant-but-forgettable range.

That's a good sign, because I'd think that would be the hardest of her books to read as a standalone - so much of Justine's and especially Adrian's backstory happens in earlier books. My favorite of hers is The Forbidden Rose.

29. Nan

Nan Just me

I had no idea this was part of a larger series. Grace Burrowes named The Black Hawk as one of her favorites on her Facebook page and since I enjoy that author's work, I thought it would be a good idea to read something she valued.

30. zaphyre14

Have you tried Danelle Harmon? She used to live near me and I see that she has a new book coming out - and that her older ones are being ressued. I find them to be pretty much the stereotypical Pirate Romances but they can be fun, if you're in that mood. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.