good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience - new book thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

So I believe I will be moving out of country for a year in the fall, and I want to get an e-reader so I can still read all the 'Merican books I want. Nook or Kindle?

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This could be another reading thread on its own--award winning books (Nobel in Literature, the Pulitzer, etc.) that make you go wtf and :huh: and have you all :confused: as to their success.

I have to admit that I never got the hype for Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago. I think it was more political than literary. Which famous and celebrated works leave you cold? Yes, I know some of you don't get Harry Potter.... :p

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I found 3 ebooks in B&N's El Cheapo $2.99 Bin today that I snatched up, so they should keep me busy for a while when the new gadget gets here. Two WWII novels and a non-fiction about Chanel No. 5, so even though I'm a new-fangled gal I'm still pre-Eisenhower in my heart and eyeballs.

4. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

If all you want is a reader and not a tablet, the Kindle Paperwhite and the Nook Glowlight are both excellent options If you want a tablet, you might want to test a variety, as I think there are better options than either the Nook or Kindle.

I have a Nook because I want to support B&Ns brick-and-mortar stores. I use my tablet mostly as an e-reader, and it's great for that; it's a pretty nice little tablet when I want that, too, but it's more of a great ereader with good tablet functions than it is a great tablet with good e-reader functions.

Pearl Buck. I read The Good Earth for a school thing once and once was enough.

There are plenty of others, but that one popped into my head first.

Cheap and easy. And the book selection is inexpensive and simple to use, too. :p

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I saw my husband cringe once when he saw a copy in a bookstore (a long time ago when bookstores were more abundant). But he is not the reading type anyway. I have never read it. Another one that comes to mind that is so very acclaimed is War And Peace. Natasha Rostova has to be one of the most annoying characters ever created. You cannot imagine how many unprintable jokes exist about her in Russian and for a good reason. She is just that annoying.

Speaking of school curriculum, I am not a fan of John Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath didn't work for me.

As to readers, I watched the ad for the Kindle Paperwhite and it seems that it's too bright of a contrast and might tire out my eyes. But I don't know, may be it's just my laptop screen.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  6. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

That book was amazing!

:cheer2: This is why I love you.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

IceAlisa, for me, it's The Catcher in the Rye. I HATE IT. Absolutely loathe it. I even read it as a teen, so it's not an age thing. I just wanted to punch Holden in the face and if I read the word "phony" one more time...:angryfire

I didn't like it :( I don't know; I just couldn't get into it and I didn't find the story all that compelling when it had so much potential. I liked Agnes but...I just didn't find it all that interesting or well written.

But I have a Nook for the same reason as Prancer.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ha. When I read The Catcher, I didn't speak English well enough to read in the original, so I read the Russian translation. I don't remember which word they used for 'phony' but I don't recall being annoyed and liked the book a lot. Later I read his short stories in English which I loved.

The job of the translator is really important. I've read the same books in Russian, English and French and the translations really make a difference. Sometimes they are better than the original. :shuffle:

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have the original Kindle that is not backlit. I love it.

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'll second what Prancer wrote about e-readers vs. tablets. As I wrote before, I think anyone who reads a lot is generally better off buying an e-reader rather than using apps on multipurpose devices, but YMMV. Assuming you want a dedicated e-reader - my understanding is that you can get more and better deals for Kindle than for Nook. Since you'll still be using an American account and credit card, you won't have to worry about the extra charges that international readers sometimes face.

OTOH, while both Amazon and B&N use file formats that can't be read on other devices, I think you can read ePUB files on Nooks even if they weren't bought on B&N, whereas you can't read those on Kindle - you would have to convert the files, which in some cases requires stripping the DRM, and I'm not sure how legal that is. If you're buying DRM-free eBooks, it's really easy to convert them using Calibre - I have a Kindle and get some books from Amazon, but I also buy from other websites when possible (or, if buying from Smashwords, you get access to several different file formats and there's no DRM). I hope more publishers and authors will go DRM-free.

My Kindle is an older model, but a friend of mine has a Paperwhite, and it's definitely not too bright - it just looks like very white paper ;) But I believe that the cheap Kindle model at the moment doesn't have as much contrast as the Paperwhite.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I remember having to write a book report on that one in high school. Couldn't make it past the first few pages, so I based my book report on the cover notes and some random quotes I pulled from the middle of it :)

12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Me, too. And it is easier on my eyes than print. I can adjust font and spacing and read much longer without eyestrain than I am able to from print. I cannot read anything backlit for too long and I think the paperwhite would be too bright for me, too.

13. Southpaw

I found 3 more ebooks in the B&N El Cheapo bin today, but that's it. I'm cutting myself off after the Peter Criss autobiography and that's final. I mean it.

14. Nan

Nan Just me

Do you have any idea how many times I've said that in the last week? Just give in, fighting it doesn't help. ;)

15. Prancer

I'm not surprised :lol:. But I like some of his other works.

Hear, hear. I hate that one, too. And whenever some guy tells me that's his favorite book (it's always a guy), I automatically move him into the "We will never be friends" category.

:drama: I thought it was my wit, charm and grammar knowledge.

It's illegal, really, but my interpretation of that (which won't protect anyone) is that I paid for the book, so the publisher and the author have their fair share, and then it's mine. I'm not giving it to anyone else; I keep it strictly for my own use.

The publishing industry could learn a lot from the music industry.

That's not how the publishers see it, but .....what are they going to do? I'm not going to bit.torrent and downloading books for free, after all (although I could :shuffle:).

And yes, the Nook reads ePubs and other formats as well (but not Kindle), which is another reason I like it.

'

The story isn't horrible (although your inner feminist will be enraged) but her writing! :scream: Utterly graceless.

Lie to us all you like, but don't lie to yourself, 'Paw.

The $2.99 list changes all the time. You know you want to know what will be there tomorrow.

16. Zemgirl

My understanding is that it is not so clear cut in some places. But I haven't really looked into it, and I feel that your stance is ethically fine even if publishers might think otherwise.

I considered buying a Nook, but BN didn't appear interested in selling anything to non-US customers. In Israel you mostly see Kindles and Sonys, but e-readers don't support Hebrew fonts at the moment, so they're popular primarily with people who read in English and/or Russian.

After nearly three years with an e-reader, I don't consider 2.99 that good a deal anymore :shuffle:

17. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks both of you for sharing your thoughts. I think that given the respective feelings each of us have for The Secret History, I'm going to give The Goldfinch a pass. The description by emason of not wanting to spend 5 more minutes in the company of any of the characters was exactly how I felt about The Secret History. I will just have to be content with being an infrequent attendee of that book club since I already know I'll have to miss June. Oh well.

I hated The Catcher in the Rye too! Like oleada, I read it as a teenager and still hated it. Probably because I was a good kid and thought Holden was being a total brat. So far I have been lucky enough never to meet someone else who has said that they loved it but maybe the topic has just never come up. Perhaps it's a question I should ask to potential dates to weed out guys.

18. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I don't remember hating or loving Catcher in the Rye. Now I'm going to have to reread it. Dammit.

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Ditto. All I remember about it is that I read it, but I don't actually remember IT at all.

20. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I admit the first time I read Catcher in the Rye I loved it. I was a freshman in high school. I read it again as a junior and then I absolutely hated it. I'm not sure what happened in those two years to make me hate Holden Caulfield so much but the second time I read it he just came off as petulant and stupid. You know, it might have been because I went to a summer program the summer before junior year with a bunch of real life Holden Caulfields.

ITA. I always strip my DRM off my e-books. I don't think I should pay $10 and more for a license. I never share the books. I just keep an un-DRM'ed copy on my hard drive. Plus, what if a bookstore closes? I bought some books from Sony and they recently closed their bookstore. I'm so happy that I stripped the DRM and made backup copies of the books I purchased from there.

21. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I would send you my PRINT COPY but alas I threw it in the trash long ago. Because it IS trash.
    IIRC that's the only novel I ever threw in the trash. Because it wasn't recycle-worthy; it was *trash* pure and simple.

22. Southpaw

My new gadget is here and any trace of buyer's remorse that was angsting away at me the last couple of days has gone the way of Catcher in the Trash Can. This thing is just what I wanted even though I swore I would never buy it.

23. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm a B&N member and buy most of my physical books there, but I bought the Kindle Paperwhite. I didn't realize there was a Kindle app that you could use on the Nook and I'm not big into messing with formats. I was afraid that, if B&N went out of business, I might not be happy to have a Nook.

I'm glad I bought the Paperwhite instead of the regular Kindle. I definitely think the Paperwhite is easier on the eyes. My coworker wants to trade her Kindle in for a Paperwhite. Since she likes to read in bed, I think her husband wants that trade-in as well.

24. Zemgirl

Came across this today and thought it was relevant to the discussion on the benefits of e-reading.

25. Prancer

I totally love my Nookie. :swoon:

I think that's a legitimate concern, too. I think B&N's demise is inevitable; it's just a matter of time. And for a while there, it looked like they were going to get out of the gadget business, so that was a fear. But then I decided that at the rate technology becomes obsolete, it really doesn't matter, as I will probably get a new gadget every few years anyway.

The Kindle app works on the Nook tablet; I don't think it works on any of the other devices. I don't buy many ebooks from Amazon, but they do have a lot of freebies.

I started reading in Night mode in bed and now read in Night mode most of the time. I was really annoyed when I realized that Night mode wasn't available with all publications. It isn't even available any more on the Nook tablet in general. Overdrive still has it, so all my library books can be read in that format. My husband thinks Night mode is the best thing ever--that, and no more teetering piles of books on my nightstand.

26. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

" The UN estimates that around 6 billion people have access to mobile phones today (compared to the 4.5 billion who have access to a toilet)"
    There ya go, what's more important-phone sh*t or sh*t sh*t?
    I tell yas what, I'd not like to try ta be wipin' my azz with a mobile phone eh. A printed book, well, now, *there's* something of comfort!

27. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

So ... yesterday was World Book Day. How did I miss that?!? (I found out when I went to the library after work, though, so it's all good.)

28. Southpaw

Today I bought Sister Carrie, Brave New World and Venus In Furs from the El Cheapo bin.

THAT'S IT, I'M DONE I REALLY REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME. :mad:

29. Prancer

It's always April 23rd, because that is the day that Shakespeare and Cervantes died. And as Irina Bokrova of the UNESCO said of the day:

"Our goal is clear – to encourage authors and artists and to ensure that more women and men benefit from literacy and accessible formats, because books are our most powerful forces of poverty eradication and peace building. "

Bring on the cell phones.

Today is Poem in Your Pocket Day.

There, there, Southie. It will be all right.

Have you read Sister Carrie before? You will have to let me know what you think. One of my favorite professors was a Dreiser scholar, so I read a lot of Dreiser in college. Most people can't stand Dreiser.

30. Southpaw

No, I haven't read that one yet. I read An American Tragedy and enjoyed it. My co-worker, with whom I share identical tastes in books and films, absolutely LURVES Sister Carrie so I consider it a very safe 99 cent bet.

I passed on the 99 cent copy of Winesburg, Ohio. For now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.