Good enough to medal at worlds or Olympics, but never did- who are these skaters?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 30, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I think Verner's opportunities are no longer as good as they once were, especially in the era of "must have consistent quads!" I love Tomas, and felt he should have won a bronze medal at Worlds the year he placed fourth.

Michal Brezina is a great jumper, but he has become very inconsistent the past two seasons. Right now, despite winning bronze at this year's Europeans, Michal seems to me to be struggling to find his identity on the ice. His short program is meh, and his fp seems like it's been trotted out for three seasons (although this is probably his second season using it).

Oh, I wish Alissa could have medaled at 2011 Worlds (her best opportunity)! Her hip problems may make it tough for her to come back, not to mention the crowded U.S. ladies field and what's being demanded technically these days, which is only seeming to be ratcheted up even further.

Nobunari may become a Dad again before he ever has another opportunity to medal at Worlds. But, anything is possible.

kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Not when I saw her. She was like Volchkova: she would do a few cross-overs and be down the ice. She just didn't look like she was doing any work.

Oh, yes :(

3. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Eys. :(

4. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Laurence Owen. :(

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

She really has made some great contributions, including contributing to the Moves in the Field tests, and producing some outstanding skaters as a master coach. Furthermore, she did have an extraordinary professional career. I only brought her up because she was "Good enough to medal at worlds or Olympics, but never did . . ."

Regarding the harshness of the ban, Olympic sports at that time, including skating, primarily consisted of participants that had the attitude that there was no place for you in Olympic sports if it was worth your while to accept money for a performance of any kind.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Tatiana Malinina was totally robbed in 1999. She should have beaten Kwan in the SP and easily made the podium. :(

One of the most impressive jumpers ever.

Julia Sebestyen - I dunno. Her jumps were really high but not very controlled and she wasn't really improving. A World bronze would have been nice though I guess.

Krisztina Czakó - OMG YES!

She was an incredible skater and back during 6.0 era, she didn't get adequate credit from the judges for her 3toe/3toe.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I loved Julia Sebestyen between 1999 and 2001. She had nice performances (especially at Euros or 2000 Worlds). Her jumps were high and textbook. And she had great spins, too.

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Elene Gedevanishvili. She will not win a world medal in this lifetime, but maybe she will be reincarnated with smaller bosoms in her next one. She has great skating talent.

Gedevanishvili 2006 Olympics SP

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think that Gedevanishvili is simply an incredible jumper, given her cup size. Her lutz is just huge. I think the reason she will never get a worlds medal is her inability to deal with pressure. She needs a good sport psychologist asap.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  10. apatinar

apatinar New Member

the second part of bardtobb's message should be considered equally as outrageous....:rolleyes:

11. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I'd like to add another vote for Alexander Abt.

He really got harshed twice by the judges in the 2001-2002 season.

First there was Euros, where even Yagudin knew Abt should have won, and yet somehow...

Then there was the Olympic SP, where he was inexplicably placed fifth, and should definitely have been ahead of Plushenko.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Even more so.

13. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

TOTAL EDIT:

I added links to my post. I thought it was interest that Mabel Fairbanks' obituary is available on the UK's Guardian although she was not recognized at the height of her ability.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Did Shawn Sawyer ever win a world medal? I always enjoyed watching him.

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

IIRC, he went to Worlds only once, in 2006, and finished in 20th (or lower).
    I love him but I don't think he belongs to this thread, he didn't have a consistent 3Axel (2-footed, at best !). But his spins and presence were phenomenal !

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Peter Tcherynshev!

17. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

In 2006 he finished 12th at the Olympics and 21st at Worlds.

18. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Elizabeth Punsalan and Jerod Swallow. Creative programs (the race cars) good flow and togetherness on the ice. Too bad they skated when TPTB still hadn't accepted North American ice dancers.

I'm sure I can think of other skaters later.

19. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

That's the first name I've agreed with on this thread. Absolutely!

20. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I always loved Sebastien Britten's skating. But because of his damn triple axel he never made it higher than 8th at Worlds. But if he could place that high when the quad was becoming big, without even a triple axel, just imagine what he could have done with one!

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  21. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Tchernyshev could have been a world medalist easily with a different partner-- amazing skater.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Shame about the partner. :p

That's really sad. No respect for so many amazing skaters. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  23. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks for reminding me of Millot! Loved him too.

24. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Singing at fair and she was only 8 years old? That IS outrageous!

I feel for Mabel Fairbanks and all athletes of her race who were denied their chance to shine. Just like in the Women's Baseball League during World War II. African Americans were not allowed to participate. I vaguely remember someone saying - Brian Boitano maybe? - that he always thought the greatest skater ever might have been from Harlem. But he/she never got the chance to skate. :( Even now the cost of skating at the higher levels is prohibitive-it is a challenge if not impossible for any family of little means irregardless of race.

Punsalan & Swallow. I'll always say they deserved at least a bronze in World and Olympic competition. Politics weren't on their side. They skated in the wrong era. :(

Laurence Owens. And who knows? Perhaps there were other potential World/Olympic medallists on that fateful flight in '61. :(

Yamaguchi & Galindo. I believe with all my heart that had they continued they would have made a mark for themselves in pairs skating-and possibly won at the very least bronze at a Worlds or Olympics.

The skaters who would have been at their peak when World and Olympic competitions were cancelled during World War II and never even got to compete at those events. :( I'm not sure but the same likely happened during World War I.

Abt. Sigh.

Sandhu. Sigh.

Mirai. Sigh. Why do I always love the inconsistent ones?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

John Misha Petkevich. I'm not familiar with his skating, but I have read he was ahead of his time in musical choices and interpretation. He never placed in the medals at Worlds or Olympics but outside of them in 5th (1969-1971 worlds) and 4th (in 1972 worlds). He was 6th and 5th at the '68 and '72 Olympics respectively. I don't know a thing about his skating, but his television commentary was informative and very classy. I'm not surprised to learn he received a doctorate in cell biology.

Video: John Misha Petkevich - Renaissance Man

26. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

For the record, he also qualified for Worlds in 2011 (finishing 2nd at Canadian Nats) but when the worlds dates were changed due to the tsunami in Japan, he skipped them to do the Canadian Stars On Ice tour instead.

The only competition in which he did a non two-footed triple axel was the 2011 Canadian Nats. I THINK he did one successfully in both the SP and the LP, although he might have put his hand down in the SP.

27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think Sawyer and Chris Mabee are two great Canadian skaters who I hoped would advance more than they did. I'm not sure about world medals though.

28. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

It's a shame that Oda can't count. He had his chance a few years ago and I'm afraid he'll never get close again (if he even gets to go to Worlds).

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Lack of a consistent 3axel meant Sawyer was never medal material but he was a very interesting skater with strong spins and beautiful presentation.

Oda has only himself to blame for repeatedly doing 4 combos. I mean that mistake can happen to anybody but so many times? :duh:

I guess he is extremely unlucky in that he's a strong skater who would make the Euros/4CC/Worlds team in pretty much any other country, easily. The level in Japan is just so high, though.

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Tomas Verner... :(