Good enough to medal at worlds or Olympics, but never did- who are these skaters?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Some skaters just never won a world medal, for various reasons, even though they were excellent skaters. Who are these skaters?

Matt Savoie: He was ahead of his times when it came to transitions. He was not rewarded adequately under 6.0 system. He finally got his opportunity in 2006, but could not win a medal at worlds/Olympics.

Angela Nikodinov: She had the perfect technique on jumps but she often ran out of steam in her LPs, and often lost to skaters with ur jumps and/or flutzes because the 6.0 system sort of ignored them. She did not get rewarded for her beautiful spins either.

Annenko & Sretenski: They had to wait for their turn in ice dance. With B&B and K&P being very strong, and Canada with W&M, they could not medal. I could never figure out why they retired/turned pro after the 1988 Olympics. They would have certainly won a world medal in 1989.

Alexander Abt: Injuries did him in. Also a very strong group of male skaters at his time (Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko) created a very tough competition for him, at nationals and at worlds. He could not capitalize on the opportunity at the 2002 Olympics. His basics were divine, but he always two-footed his quad. That was his nemesis.

Yukari Nakano: Lovely skater, despite the leg wrap on her jumps. The judges never rewarded her adequately for what she did well, and her 3A always got a ur from the judges. In a vary competitive Japanese ladies field, it was tough for her to make the Olympic team. She just missed out on a medal at the 2006 worlds. IMO she was undermarked.

Obertas & Slavnov: This is marginal. They (she in particular) had great talent, but not the heart to compete. They did not work hard enough, from what I read to be competitive at the worlds/Olympic level.

Mark Mitchell: His good year was 1992. He was denied an Olympic spot in favor of Paul Wylie (turned out VERY good for Paul), but he did go to worlds that year. He could not capitalize on the opportunity.

Unless Jeremy Abbott pulls a Wylie next year, he could join this unfortunate group of talented skaters.

Did Blumberg & Siebert ever win a world/Olympic medal in ice dance? I don't remember.

2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think sometimes it has to do with being lucky (or unlucky) at a particular event. Just like Joubert finishing so low in the standings at the Olympics. Sometimes things just don't work out.

And other times a really so-so skaters pulls it out for the win.

3. poirierpaul

poirierpaul Member

I dont agree on some of those:

Matt Savoie- nice skater, but didnt have the spark or extra something to medal a the World level.

Mark Mitchell- not a strong jumper and competed in a tough era of U.S men which he could never stand out enough in to even make World teams hardly ever. He did skate his best at the 92 Worlds, and came 5th, just wasnt good enough to medal. His only chance of a medal was maybe a bronze at the 93 Worlds.

Nikidinov- the U.S era was too tough for her, I cant think of a year she could have even made the Olympic team. Her only chance of a world medal was a bronze in 2001 but would have had to skate perfect.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Blumberg/Seibert won World bronze from 1983-5. (Behind T/D and B/B in 1983-4, and behind B/B and K/P in 1985.) It was the Olympic bronze that they lost in a controverial way.

I think Nikodinov's career would have gone differently if she had been bronze medalist in 1997 and had gone to Worlds for the first time then, but the US judges were still enamored of Nicole Bobek.

5. kukkura

kukkura Member

Stanick Jeannette and Ilia Klimkin were special skaters and with less injuries could have ended up with a Worlds medal.

6. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Tatiana Malinina - should have had the bronze or even silver in 1999
    Anna Rechnio - huge jumps but too inconsistent
    Laetitia Hubert - great artistry when her technical didn't let her down, and she could do all five triples (sometimes!)
    Alexander Abt - couldn't do it when it mattered most
    Susanna Poykio - beautiful, calm, serene skater who didn't have quite the technical goods to compete at the very top. If she'd been more technically proficient, her artistic/PCS scores would also have been higher

I'm sure there are others; I'll have another think.

7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Sacha Abt!! he was an amazing skater, he deserved it...

8. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Marina Kiellman - so close to bronze, but a fall on double Axel in the last seconds of her program handed the bronze to Tanja Szewczenko. Oups that was at Euros 98 (and I think she already had european medals). but she didn't grab anything at worlds.

Eric Millot - always not that far, but too often struggling with the triple Axel. But first one to land the 3Lp-3Lp combo (GPF if I remember correctly)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Oh Eric Millot. :swoon: Wonderfully bold and powerful moves to the music. He should have won the FS at Worlds 1995, landing two triple axels, but missed the podium because of another poor short (IIRC, which I may not be doing). Loved him.

skatak - are you thinking of Worlds 1994, when Szewczenko won the bronze and Kiellman was fourth after a fall on the 2A late in her programme? I think Kiellman retired after poor performances the following year. She had won at least two bronze medals and a silver at European level.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It was 1994 Worlds. I wanted Marian Kiellmann to win a medal here, but she had 2 falls, IIRC.
    She stayed one more season in 1995 in order to be at Euros in Dortmund, her hometown.

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

She couldnt have been the bronze at those Nationals since Bobek beat Kwan in the LP. Nikidinov could have only finished 2nd or 4th. Anyway she definitely should have been the silver medalist at those Championships.

12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Not a valid argument. There are plenty of skaters with less sparks or skills than Savoie who have won medals at the World level.

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I watched Matt Savoie skate live at the 2006 US nationals and was mesmerized by his skating. I have to disagree that he lacked the 'spark' needed to win a world medal. Many lackluster skaters have medalled at worlds. Matt lacked the jump consistency, if anything, at worlds, so the 6.0 judges never gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Nikodinov: She could have won the bronze at the 2001 worlds with a nearly clean performance. She had a solid SP. One problem with Angela was that if she missed a jump, she lost confidence while skating. In 2002 she skated poorly at the nationals, or she would have been on the team, instead of Sarah, and we would have never argued about whether Sarah Hughes deserved to be the Olympic champion. :)

14. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Josee Chouinard -- damn nerves.

15. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Definitely!

Emanuel Sandhu.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think if Kerr/Kerr weren't limited to having to skate brother-sister friendly routines they may have won a world medal, even if "only" a bronze.

Also, Mirai Nagasu when she was at the top of her game. The 4th place at the Olympics still leaves me feeling bad for her.

18. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Yukari Nakano. Seriously one of the most beautiful skaters that ever lived.

19. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Rohene Ward!!!

20. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think Hubert's strategy for getting medals was the same as getting coins while playing Super Mario Brothers, jump while trying not to fall, knock structures . . . and knock down opponents.

21. bardtoob

Janet Champion and Mabel Fairbanks are extreme examples of skaters that were good enough to medal at Worlds or the Olympics but never did.

Janet Champion was declared a professional ineligible for amateur FIGURE SKATING competition because she accepted prize money for SINGING at a faire

Mabel Fairbanks could not join a figure skating club, the only way to get ice time and enter competitions, due to her race, but was trained in secret by Maribel Vinson Owen.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

That's outrageous!

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nikodinov? Seriously? She was slow and awkward and it was pretty evident she didn't do enough conditioning.

Rohene Ward - Just couldn't control his nerves. But he was one of the most interesting, unique and elegant skaters ever. :(

Alexander Abt - Incredibly stunning basics, interesting programs. But too many very serious injuries. :(

Emanuel Sandhu - Balletic and musical but no work ethic.

Anna Rechnio - Incredible speed and huge jumps but nerves did her in.

Laetitia Hubert - Kooky, interesting skater with huge potential. But again, couldn't control her nerves.

:confused: The fact they skated outside the box and always showed creative and entertaining programs was actually their biggest forte. What let them down was the technical deficiencies.

24. bardtoob

Yes . . . especially since Champion was banned at 8 years old.

25. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yukari Nakano :( She seems pretty comfortable, all things considered, so I guess I won't feel too sad for her. But still, beautiful skater, beautiful skating, the leg wraps don't even change that.

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

As far as Rohene Ward, although nerves were surely a factor in his inability to break through at U.S. Nationals, I believe the financial support aspect was probably more problematic for him. It seems to me that he needed more financial resources for adequate training and ice time, and to be able to pay for top level coaching. Because of limited training time, Rohene often seemed to lack the endurance needed to be strong throughout his long programs. I used to watch his sectional competitions, and he always seemed to be losing energy toward the end of his skates. Perhaps he would also have benefited from more opportunities to compete under high pressure situations, so the heat of the spotlight during his senior Nationals appearances, might not have been so daunting.

It's great that Rohene is enjoying a successful career in show skating and as a skating choreographer. :)

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nakano would really benefit from the current system of jumps cheated less than 1/2 getting partial value.

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the article link. I'd heard of her, but didn't know much about her.

Another great name for a skating Champion. ;)

ETA:
    After checking out the IN article, I have to say that Janet Champion seems to have had a fine life and career as a skater, and she's made (and apparently still making) extraordinary contributions to the sport.

The fact that the divide between amateur and professional was so harsh and strictly enforced during the era in which she grew up simply means that her banning was amateur figure skating's loss and professional figure skating's gain. Janet sure seems enormously happy in all her childhood professional show skating photos.

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not mentioned thus far:

Laurence Owen :(
    John Misha Petkevich :wuzrobbed
    Gordon McKellen, Jr.
    Scott Davis
    Krisztina Czakó
    Júlia Sebestyén
    Sarah Meier

Haven't yet but possibly might still:

Nobunari Oda
    Tomáš Verner
    Michal Březina
    Alissa Czisny (Hey, if Susanna Driano could do it, why not Czisny?)

Previously mentioned and really should have won a medal at some point:

Eric Millot
    Tatiana Malinina
    Alexander Abt
    Emanuel Sandhu