'Good Day New York' Host Greg Kelly Accused of Rape

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Apparently it happened in her office

I know that they like to make fun of him a lot on E! Channel's The Soup, and he's the son of the police commissioner Raymond Kelly. He does seem rather uptight and odd on his show, although I know that does not determine if he's a rapist or not.

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Something smells fishy. I'd expect someone who works in a law office to report it right away, regardless of the status of the perp.

3. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Three months to report the "assault" will make things tough for the woman. She said, he said, with the results likely being just the new stain on his reputation.

I'll get flak for this, and I only know what is in that article ... but I have to wonder if this was post-coital regret. Also wonder what, besides sex, would be the purpose of bringing a guy you'd been drinking with from the bar to one's [conveniently nearby?] office after-hours. (Note: I'm not saying "she asked for it," just dissecting the "set-up".)

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

But why was he a no-show at his TV gig??

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That may have not been his decision. He may have been informed by his superiors to stay home until this is settled.

It sounds very very fishy. 3 months!? I hope she is telling the truth because if not she has permanently hurt his reputation and that is a shame.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Even when someone is not guilty, the stigma of the accusation remains.

7. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Not to mention "going out for drinks" with someone you've only just met, according to the article.

I don't take stories like this seriously anymore. What the hell did she think was going to happen when they went to her office after a round of drinks and "because her boyfriend was home" ... they were just going to chat and play cards or something?

8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Perhaps he threatened her... or maybe she was in denial about the fact that it was rape. Nobody likes to believe they are a victim, especially professional women trying to get ahead in their careers. The first instinct for many raped women is to try to forget it happened. Then, three months later, they realize they can't forget, or maybe they are worried the guy is doing it to other women, so they try to do something about it. It's faaar from ideal to wait three months (lost evidence and all that), but it happens a lot.

9. Civic

Civic New Member

Sigh...attitudes like the above are part of the problem, imo. Who gives a feck why she took him to her office? All that matters is that he didn't take no for an answer. At least this is what she is alleging.

10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Or maybe she wanted a relationship. He said 'No', and now she's getting her revenge. The article said that she got pregnant from the encounter (or encounters) with Greg and had an abortion. So another angle could be that she wanted him to help take care of the baby, he said no, and she got angry. Blah, blah, blah .....

The point is no one knows the truths right now. I'm definitely not going to automatically believe anyone who claims to be raped 3 months after the supposed fact.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

No one is blaming the victim here. Just pointing out that the facts, as we currently know them, bring up a question about the validity of the claims. I wonder if she knew who he was? Do you think it is possible she realized after that he was a local celebrity and could be trying to take advantage of that? Waiting 3 months, go for drinks with a stranger, already had a boyfriend, took him back to her office because she couldn't take him home, he is a local celebrity. All of these things make me question her accusations and if this goes to trial I am sure a jury would have the same reservations. None of that means she is to blame if she is telling the truth.

12. Cheylana

I didn't say you automatically have to believe the alleged victim, but this thread so far contains a flurry of messages doubting the woman's story, and saying how could she have waited three months, and I was just trying to balance it out with some theories that might support her story, even though she waited three months and all that.

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

That's crap.

14. Karina1974

I disagree. You are the one who doesn't "get it."

Obviously you weren't raised to think about the consequences of your actions BEFORE commencing said actions, such as putting onesself, as this woman did, in a situation that that could well turn out to be compromising for her - going out for drinks with a man she didn't even know beforehand, and then going someplace private when she didn't have the slightest clue whether or not she should be putting her trust in him.

In addition, whatever conversation and interacting they were doing could have been done right there at the bar where they were having the drinks - in public and in plain sight of whoever else was in the establishment. There's only one type of interaction between two people that "has to" (decency laws and all) be done in private, and that's of the sexual kind. Which leads me to believe that this encounter was more consensual than she is letting on.

15. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Agreed

Except, yes, they are.

There are so many reasons rape victims could have waited for so long. Rape is extremely traumatic event. There's tons of self-blame and denial going on. It's also very difficult for some victims to able to tell their story after it happens.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

So, that makes it okay if she says no, and he has sex with her anyway? I didn't know that consenting to go to someone's place meant consenting to having sex! I bet you think that a woman is just asking for it if she wears a short skirt at night, too.

Even if she consents to vaginal sex, and he performs anal intercourse, for example, that's still rape.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Whether or not this is true, sources have been published saying that the woman met Greg on a street, and they spoke. They got each other's contact info, and separated. They decided to meet up for drinks another night, after texting each other for a little bit. The night they met for drinks is the one where the incident occurred. Not the first night they met.

The local radio news here reported that the woman said that she was unable to consent - that she was too drunk to consent. That she may have invited him back to her office for the reasons people suspect, but in the end, she changed her mind. However, the woman has said (again, according to "sources") that she was so intoxicated, that she doesn't remember some things from that night.

Witnesses who saw her leaving the building say she did not look upset - although that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Sources also say that Greg has a series of text messages that the woman had sent him after their encounter in the office, which the source claims were "flirtatious." Greg has given those text messages to the DA's office.

The Post reports that the DA's office does not think her story is genuine:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...oubts_kelly_rape_claim_0swNrxJIc0zntcz1chYIKJ

The Post is not always a reliable newspaper.

Again, all of this is according to "sources", which may or may not be reliable.

18. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Really? You know that from one post that Civic made on FSU? You're amazing...:blah:

19. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Someone in my family didn't tell for 24 YEARS. It happened in college in the parking lot. She suppressed it until her daughter started sending out college applications which brought back the memories & she finally got counseling.

Men don't rape because there's a convenient opportunity, like being alone in an office or because the woman doesn't know them well. When you go on a blind date, you are basically with a stranger. You hope whoever set you up had good judgement but you don't know that.

20. Civic

Civic New Member

:rolleyes:And you're obviously one of those women who believe that if you jump all over someone who claims she was raped by dissecting and criticizing her every move then you'll never be raped yourself.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Cheylana

Yup, exactly; I think we are in complete agreement here.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Karina1974

No, but I will tell you one thing, I would not consider for one second doing what she did - going out for drinks and then going someplace private with someone I don't know well enough to know that said person has the self-control enough to be able to keep my welfare in mind, above and beyond whatever he may have in mind. The only time I have done the drinks-and-then-someplace-private was when I'd known the guy for well over a year, and what ended up happening was completely consensual on both sides.

I also have no problem with letting people know where I draw the line about how close I let people get to me. There was a minor fire across the street from my apartment 2 weeks ago, and while I was outside watching it (at 1:30/2:00 AM) I was conversing with a guy who lives 2 streets west of me. During the course of the conversation he said something to the point of us "maybe going out sometime." I turned right around on him and said firmly - "2 things. #1 - I don't 'date.' #2 - I don't 'drink.' And if you ever come around ringing my doorbell unannounced, you WILL be dealt with accordingly, because I don't allow that privilege to anyone who isn't a blood relative." And mind you, there's cops standing around as I'm saying this (and the fact that my building's super is a Troy City cop had already come up in the conversation) . Didn't stop the conversation, but it did set him back a bit, and he didn't mention it again.

23. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Um, why would you say/do that? You could just say (if an when he actually asked you out), "Thanks, but I'd like to just be friends."

Easy, and no drama. Also, sometimes friends go out with each other too (non-romantically that is). Just because two people go out for coffee doesn't mean there's a romantic relationship in the mix.

Not everything has to be a pull the switchblade moment....

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

There are plenty of women who don't report rape at all, and I've known several personally whom have waited 3-8 months (the longest I can think of) to report it because of the mixture of denial, shame, guilt, and 'wanting to be strong enough to get through it on their own.'

That she waited 3 months doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

And I am absolutely appalled that so many people here jumped immediately to the conclusion that she made it up. I'm not saying that's not a possibility, but there are so many times when I see this reaction. I've seen it about those friends mentioned before. It's disgusting. No means no, no matter what the situation is. And Karina, the 'she was asking for it' attitude is beyond awful, not that I'm terribly surprised that that's your attitude.

25. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

You sound delightful, Karina.

But, anyway, obviously there is a lot we all don't know, nor will ever know.

Rape is serious and horrific, and ITA there is no blueprint for reporting it.

I don't think (/ want to think) that she made this up, but I wonder if she is incorrectly filling in some blanks. The report (/ his claim?) of flirty texts afterward has me sleuthing that the woman's reported pregnancy by Kelly might be when she first knew/will claim she first knew that she had had intercourse with the guy.

If this is a case of "I don't remember having sex, and therefore I was raped," some will vilify this man immediately and forever, but it should NOT be assumed, and it should be a tough case to prove. Alcohol blacking out can happen post-"event", as it did to me last month when I had (still have) a blackout of the last 90 minutes or so of a long party, at which I was not exhibiting high signs of drunkedness nor inability to function. Sex would likely leave more of an impression on me, and perhaps survive my blackout. Rape would likely leave even MORE of an impression on me, and I'd hope surely survive my blackout.

... aaand, I've gone and provided conjecture to "facts" and "claims" not yet reported or claimed. Back to reality TV threads for me.

Jayar and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

:rofl: No one goes to your house unannounced? What about the UPS guy, girl scouts, someone looking for their dog? What if someone was in distress and needed to use a phone urgently, would you call the cops? Seriously, massive overreaction for a very noncommittal, in passing, comment that you "maybe go out sometime".

The guy suggested "going out sometime", he didn't suggest dating or the consumption of alcohol, he didn't suggest a quick f*ck in the nearest alley (though since that's not a 'drink' or a 'date', maybe that would be acceptable?!), why the need to be so rude? Couldn't you just politely decline with a "no, thanks"?

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Poor guy. It's going to take a lot for him to get the confidence to ask another girl out again :lol:, and it makes it awfully awkward when you run into him again.

28. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Actually, her story is rather questionable. See below.

But, is that rape? She invited him to her office, because her boyfriend was home. From what is coming out now, she only reported the rape after her boyfriend found some of her text messages to Kelly. Did she change her mind before the sex or after she got caught? Or, maybe because Kelly never called her again?

One of those texts, allegedly, says "Why haven't you called me?"

Sounds like a woman snubbed and a woman who got caught. I hope that Kelly sues, if she is lying. Even if he is cleared of the accusations, he will always be tainted by the it. This is the sort of thing (if she is lying) that makes it harder for women who are raped.

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Inviting someone up to your office, or going out for drinks is absolutely not permission for anything beyond that, and date rape is extremely serious and any allegation of it should be investigated thoroughly.

But likewise, false allegations of rape is extremely serious because the mere accusation can seriously damage a person's reputation.

I don't have any of the facts in this situation, but so far it sounds like the people who have investigated and have access to the info, don't believe the allegations to be true. And the police department recused themselves from investigating and left it to the DA's office to avoid the chance for improper influence since his dad is the police commissioner. So far, it sounds like the investigation was handled properly, but if there are other factors involved, they'll likely come out soon enough.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  30. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I completely agree. The sticky thing, though, is what would she invite him up to her office? Obviously, she expected something to happen, that she didn't want her boyfriend to see. I suppose that it's possible that he forced himself on her, but it just doesn't ring true, in this case.

Exactly. What is disturbing, is that this is still just an accusation, not a formal charge, this is supposed to be confidential until there is a formal charge. I think whoever leaked Kelly's name should be taken to task.