"Golden Moment" show hosted by Yamaguchi & Boitano - Nov. 2, 2014 in San Jose, CA

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

Hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano ("... proceeds will support the Always Dream Foundation’s early childhood literacy program") - event info page: https://www.alwaysdream.org/events/golden-moment/

Date: Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 @ 4:00pm
    Venue: SAP Center in San Jose, California

Scheduled to appear (subject to change):
    Dorothy Hamill, Evan Lysacek, Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Jeremy Abbott and hometown girl Polina Edmunds.
    ("Keep checking back for more talent updates")

ETA: Gracie Gold has been added.

Info sent to me:

Internet Presale: Presale discount is only valid during the presale. Internet presale begins now and ends on Sunday, September 14 at 10:00PM.
    Click here to purchase tickets
    Find the "Offer Code" box and enter the password: SAPC

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Sylvia

Cast is finalized:
    Davis/White, Lysacek, Hamill, Gordeeva, Bradley, Kerrigan, Belbin/Agosto, Yuka Sato, Jeremy Abbott, Gracie Gold, Mirai Nagasu, Polina Edmunds, Karen Chen (latter 2 are local to the area).

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I envy anyone who goes to this show!

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sounds like a great show for a wonderful cause. Kudos to Kristi for helping to put the event together and to all the athletes and volunteers contributing their time and talent!

5. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Any word on if it will be televised at all? Would love to see it!

6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. Just bought two tickets :)

7. Sylvia

Video story titled Kristi Yamaguchi to be honored for humanitarian work: http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/fremont-kristi-yamaguchi-to-be-honored-for/vCtHNk/
    She is shown practicing on the ice with her 8-year-old daughter, Emma, for the "Golden Moment" show.

Related article: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/figure-skating-olympian-recognized-work-ice/nhTjj/
    She was honored by the U.S. Olympic Committee in Chicago this past Friday:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  8. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Link to full cast (updated this weekend)
    https://www.alwaysdream.org/events/golden-moment/

Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano
    Ekaterina Gordeeva, Dorothy Hamill, Evan Lysacek, Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Nancy Kerrigan, Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto, Yuka Sato, Rachael Flatt, Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds, Jeremy Abbott, Ryan Bradley, Karen Chen

Should be a terrific show!

9. gofigure

gofigure Active Member

10. Sylvia

Kristi Yamaguchi Day with the San Jose Sharks
    SAP Center at San Jose

BUY TICKETS TO BOTH EVENTS AND SAVE UP TO 50% OFF AND PAY NO TICKETMASTER FEES!

The first 100 fans to buy the Kristi Combo Pack will receive a Golden Moment or Sharks mini-Territory sign autographed by Kristi Yamaguchi! (one per order)

The San Jose Sharks are celebrating Kristi Yamaguchi Day on Saturday, October 25 when the Sharks take on the Buffalo Sabres at 1:00PM. Save up to 38% when you purchase tickets and a portion of the proceeds will benefit Kristi Yamaguchi's Always Dream Foundationthrough this special offer.

Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano's Golden Moment is coming to SAP Center at San Jose on Sunday, November 2! Skating performances by Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Evan Lysacek, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Dorothy Hamill, Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Jeremy Abbott and Polina Edmunds! Also featuring Yuka Sato, Ryan Bradley, Karen Chen and many more. Don't miss your chance to see all these great skaters. *Skaters subject to change. Save up to 20% when you purchase tickets and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Kristi Yamaguchi's Always Dream Foundationthrough this special offer.

THREE EASY WAYS TO ORDER:
    • Order Form Only: Purchase the Kristi Combo Pack for BOTH events and save up to 50% off.
      CLICK HERE FOR THE ORDER FORM
    • Online Only: Purchase tickets to only Kristi Yamaguchi Day at the Sharks vs. Buffalo Sabres game on Saturday, October 25.
      CLICK HERE FOR DISCOUNTand use promo code: KRISTI
    • Online Only: Purchase tickets to only Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano's Golden Moment on Sunday, November 2.
      CLICK HERE FOR DISCOUNTand use promo code: MOMENT
    (Above is an email I received today.)

11. Sylvia

12. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

;)
    Thanks for this link. I'm so impressed by how well Kristi still skates, and her daughter is all kinds of adorable! The line-up for this show is terrific--clearly I live on the wrong side of the country. ;)

13. Sylvia

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    kittyjake5, Wyliefan and paskatefan like this.
  14. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I hope we'll get some videos from the show! Kudos to Kristi for putting together the show for such a great cause.

skatesindreams likes this.
  15. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Hopefully we will get some videos. Kristi has always been a great role model and ambassador for the sport. And I agree her daughter is adorable.

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I'll be attending. I'll be sure to report back.

17. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

18. Sylvia

ChelleC, tarotx, Debbie S and 2 others like this.
  19. bardtoob

It was a lovely show.

During the cast introduction Dorothy held and edge, and there was a special quality about it.

There was an opening number with a bunch of young skaters that was choreographed by Rudy Galindo that involved a bunch of these little skaters doing their best spins, and I decided it should have been called Biellminia.

Ryan Bradley opened the individual performances by doing tricks and playing with his wand on the ice ... As Harry Potter.

Polina Edmund's did a comic bafoon routine that was entertaining and age appropriate.

Katia skated to Carmen, and after one moment I decided she could also skate to Phantom of the Opera with lyrics, Swan Lake, Malaguena ... And I would watch with complete captivation until my eyes would either dry up or bleed.

Dorothy did a number where she had three romantic suitors, Boitano, Lysacek, and Bradley.

Kristi skated with her daughter, and the apple does not fall far from the tree. It was nice to see Kristi on the ice, and in phenomenal shape.

Davis and White skated their first number to exerpts from Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, I believe, and it's romantic character was so well suited to their breathing skating. They later skated to "Say Something", which was very good, but my preference is the Rach.

Belbin and Agosto skated well, and I got their artistry. The finish on their programs is very different than Davis and White.

Ilia Kulik made a surprise appearance, and he was phenomenal. I don't know what his music was, but the whole program kept my attention.

I think Brian Boitano got the loudest applause of the night. He is really something special, and there was still some of that old glory in how he moved about the ice.

I was amazed at how good of shape Yuka Sato is in. She basically looks like she did 20 years ago.

I think Lysacek and Abbott skated very well, and certainly deserved some kudos. Rachel Flatt and Gracie Gold also skated well.

Charlie Tickner was one of the hosts, and as he was leaving the arena I got to tell him I like his skating ... That was a long time in coming!

---------
    Charlie Tickner (USA) - 1980 Worlds, Men's Long P…: http://youtu.be/pze33dgxCxk

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    vivika1982, gkelly, rosewood and 10 others like this.
  20. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

Wow, this was a great show, so many skaters that we haven't seen on the I de in years -- Tanith and Ben, Kristi, Yuka, Doorthy.

Best edges of the night: Katia and Yuka tie
    Best power: a tie between Ben and Brian
    Best verve and wow: Kulik
    Most fun duo: Yuka and Jeremy (brief moment in the finale)
    Most sentimental: Kristi and Emma

Poor Nancy Kerrigan injured herself during her number, looked like her skate blade hit a rut. She was total professional gritting through the number with just a bit of pullback and change of foot on her spin, but once off the ice she limped badly.

Seriously, this was wonderful, and great to see Kristi and Brian team up for the skate.

21. bardtoob

Thanks for explaining that. I did not know what to make of the grimace.

22. MacMadame

I had a really great time. It was definitely different from your typical arena skating show though. It was a lot more intimate and homey and it featured a lot of local skaters over big names. I mean the usual big names were there (tons of Olympic Gold Medals and National Champions), but I've never been to a show with so many local acts and so much of the audience being the local skating community. Also, everything was about the charity and not about trying to sell sponsors. The ice was just the Sharks ice from last night's game with no boards so it was all painted up for hockey and there were no sponsorship banners anywhere. The top-level sponsors did have lights over the exits but that was it. The strips that they normally use to sell things and the Jumbotron were full of quotes from children's books and children's books' authors.

They started out with skaters coming out alone or in pairs to skate around each other and be introduced. The local skaters like Rachael Flatt, Polina Edmunds, and Karen Chen all got a big hand. The announcer made a big deal over Gracie Gold and the audience obliged him by giving her a big round of applause. Then he went back to normal announcing. When Davis & White were announced, the crowd went nuts! I thought they were going to get the biggest reaction but Dorothy Hamill was announced right after and they were equally crazy over her. After that the big names came out so fast that it was just non-stop clapping. Then they did a little number as a group that turned into Rudy Galindo's skaters doing a number. I didn't quite get how they did the transition because I was looking at Polina and she was in both numbers. I think. I don't know. I got confused. :D

I am sure they skated to something famous but I'm bad with remember what music is called. One skater was in turquoise that was supposed to be a bird and the rest were in white. Somewhere in there I realized that neither Brian nor Kristi had been introduced and I wondered if they were going to skate. On the local news Kristi had been interviewed saying she was coming out of retirement to skate so I figured she was though and when the number was over, she and Brian came out in street clothes to talk about the event and how it was the first time they did a show together -- that usually they toured in different shows.

They talked a lot about the Always Dream foundation and its childhood literacy program that this event was a fundraiser for. And a bit about one of Brian's charities that introduces inner city kids to skating. All through the program they talked about Always Reading and had videos and some chit chat about it. One of the schools was featured in a video and they also mentioned that kids from 5 of the schools were there in the audience. They had to "win" their tickets by reading! (Two of the schools were from my town, which I keep forgetting is Kristi's hometown.) And at another point they had the principle from the school in the video give a little speech (while Sharkie, the Sharks mascot hassled her a bit for "fun"). And somewhere in the middle, they brought out Charlie Tickner to help them MC. (I love Charlie. He's such a cool dude. I keep forgetting he's famous and has an Olympic medal.) They also talked at one point about one of the sponsors who has a financial literacy program similar to Kristi's reading literacy program that has volunteers going into the school and teaching kids about bank accounts and how to save money.

It was really sweet and it made it feel more like going to a show at the local rink than a fancy arena show. It was much nicer than hearing about Mussleman applesauce all evening! (Though the $20 parking fee and the $5 bottle of water were definitely fancy arena show feeling.)

For the skaters, when they introduced them, they talked about their titles but also about what charities they were involved in (when they were). They also had in the program what their favorite children's book was and they included that information on the ribbon around the arena. So instead of "Charlie White & Meryl Davis -- Olympic Gold Medalists" on the ribbon which is what you'd normally see, we got to see that Charlie's favorite book is "A Very Hungry Caterpillar" (a favorite of MacBoy -- I have many fond memories of reading it too him when he was four) while Meryl favors "Goodnight, Moon". :)

Anyway, I didn't take notes and I'm horrible at recognizing music so this is not necessarily in the order they skated but just in the order I remember using the program to jog my memory:

After Rudy's "Ice Angels" skated, we got some combination of Tanith & Ben, Meryl & Charlie, Ryan Bradley, Nancy Kerrigan, Katia Gordeeva, Rachael Flatt, Polina Edmunds, Jeremy Abbott, and maybe Evan Lysacek? The first half ended with the Dublin Dazzlers, an ISI synchro team who recently won ISI Worlds at their level (11 to 14 year olds). After an intermission we got repeats from Tanith & Ben, Meryl & Charlie, Jeremy, Katia and also Yuka Sato, Karen Chen, Kristi with her daughter, Gracie Gold. Dorothy with Brian, Evan and Ryan, Brian by himself, and a surprise performance by Ilia Kulik who had flown up with Katia and the kids. Then they all skated around as a group, did some bows and that was it.

Rudy's Ice Angels started with a young skater in turquoise who I'm pretty sure was supposed to be a bird and all the other skaters in white. I really liked their number. It reminded me of one my adult skating class did one year for the Christmas show in the layout and elements only skated properly with good form and edges. :lol: Anyway, it was pretty and they did a good job with hardly any mistakes.

Meryl & Charlie and Tanith & Ben both skated to soft lyrical stuff. Meryl's hair had something distracting going on where one tendril was escaping her bun. It was definitely on purpose (because it was that way all evening) and I hated it. Meryl & Charlie did so many fast, technical numbers as amateurs that it was nice to see them do something different here, but I missed their amazing twizzles.

Polina Edmunds was in between them (I think) and did a Chaplin-esque number that she had a lot of fun with. It was cute and the audience loved it.

Ryan Bradley was mixed in there somewhere too and did a number with the theme of magic. He was dressed as Harry Potter and bits from the movies were used to string together unrelated pop & rock songs with "magic" in them. He did a back flip at one point that brought the house down.

Nancy Kerrigan was dressed in this stunning wine colored dress with a bandage-style top and skated to Cher. She was really stiff at first but after her signature spiral, she loosened up a bit. But something was weird about the whole thing. (Which reading above I see that she injured herself -- I couldn't figure it out at the time, just that she was having troubles in strange places you wouldn't normally have troubles.) Afterwards, Evan came out dressed in black but his top was also a bandage style and looked a lot like Nancy's. That cracked me up. They talked about his titles and he really has won a lot. I didn't realize it at the time as I was too busy being annoyed because he was always beating someone else I wanted to win more. ;)

Katia's dress was also pretty but I've completely forgotten what she skated to. I thought it was just okay compared to some of her other skates that I've loved so much more. I thought it was interesting that I didn't really recognize her from her picture in the program but as soon as she stepped on the ice, I knew it was her though. She still looks like Katia on the ice. Her style is so distinctive and she still beast them all in skating skills.

Rachael Flatt skated to something that I'm sure was a big pop hit but I don't listen to pop music so I couldn't place it. She had on a sparkly black dress and was having fun and the audience, especially some people in the next section over (I'm guessing friends from Stanford) had fun too. I have to say, I completely didn't recognize her on the ice though. Her body has changed a lot. Her face when they did a close-up on the Jumbotron was her same face I remembered, but her body is a woman's body now. Also her hair is very long now. The longest I've ever seen it.

I forget to what Jeremy skated to as well. I vaguely remember a hat. And maybe some smooth jazz? But I do remember thinking how much more at ease he seemed out there compared to when he's in a competition and understanding more what his fans see in him.

The Dublin Dazzlers were everything I hate about synchro. But they skated to some electro swing from The Great Gatsby and I love that sh1t so I just concentrated on the music, a few cool moves, and how proud their parents probably were to have them skating in the show like that. Oh and their costumes were adorable.

For the intermission even though Mr. Mac took FOREVER to get out of his seat, I was still able to get to the Womens room before the crowd. When I got out, the line went all the way down the concourse! So score for MacMadame and her tiny old lady bladder! :lol:

For the second half, I really enjoyed seeing Kristi skate with her daughter. First her daughter came out and skated a bit alone. She's nice but definitely a recreational skater. But great confidence skating before the crowd like that. Then Kristi came out and they skated together, then Kristi alone, then they finished together. Poor Emma fell on the last spin. I think she was trying to spin as good as her mom. Yes, Kristi still has it. Not the triple jumps any more. But the basic skating and the flow is still there. She was a joy to watch.

Tanith & Ben did something latiny earlier. I think it started flamenco-ish and went into tango but I'm not sure because it sucked me right in and I was just watching their lines and not paying attention to the music so much. I liked some of their numbers as amateurs but I liked both their numbers here so much more. Everything flowed more and was not as sloppy frenetic.

Dorothy was good too but she hardly did anything. First the 3 guys came out, then she skated out to them, then did a bit of a waltz with each of them, then each one did a highlight move, then they skated around a bit and it was over. It was some show tunes number. I recognized it at the time but now I've forgotten what it was.

Katia's second number was much better than her first. I loved it. So was Jeremy's. In fact, it was amazing. He completely won me over. I can't wait for him to turn pro now. He needs to skate like that in competition and forget the elements.

At some point, when the MCs were talking, a guy came out on the ice in our corner and I'm thinking "who is that? He looks like Ilia Kulick but Ilia isn't supposed to be here." And sure enough it was. He was dressed in a red puffy shirt with red pants and he still has a triple and a double axel. I'm still a fan.

Gracie skated to Taylor Swift. Or so Mr. Mac informs me. (He's always right about these things so I'll go with that.) She had on a fuchsia sequined top and black hot pants and she was having fun and so was I. Yuka also skated to something pop but I think it was older. I am sure I have heard it a million times and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't name the singer or the song. It was antsy Alanis Morrisette (vs. angry Alanis) in tone if not in actuality. I liked it a lot and she was so flow-y on the ice and still has those neat feet on her jumps that I love so much.

Brian did a solo number to something operatic sung by someone famous. He was wearing a casual long sleeve white shirt that had a t-shirt feel and blue pants that had a jeans feel even though he wasn't wearing jeans and t-shirt. liked it a lot too. It also drove me crazy that I couldn't place his music.

Meryl & Charlie came out at the end with 2 chairs and a table. They are going to become chairsexuals, I thought! They started the number sitting in the chairs and then skated around. It was a love song of sorts but it ended with them breaking up. I think. They ended up back in the chairs anyway. The Meryl got up and skated away. (And they never skated with them so they are still chairsexual virgins.) The song was some New Country thing and it was okay. For New Country.

Anyway, then everyone came out on the ice with them and they all skated around (at some point the chairs & table disappeared) and took bows and then at the end they figured out Polina wasn't with them so they made her come out and get in the line too.

And that was the it. They waved and we went home.

Now the question I have is: is this going to be on tv? There was a camera there but not as many as there would be at shows I've been to that were being taped for tv. I assumed it would be shown on tv, but it just didn't have that feel. There were definitely no retake of muffed jumps afterwards either. Does anyone know if they plan to broadcast it? If they do, I hope they manage to keep that intimate feel and to promote all the various charities and the local skaters and not cut all that out in favor of commercials and pushing the supposed stars.

Meredith, vivika1982, gkelly and 8 others like this.
  23. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I very much enjoyed the show today. :)

lmarie086 likes this.
  24. Barbara Manatee

Barbara Manatee Well-Known Member

I knew we were soul mates!

A lot of the show is already up on youtube. And more here. What a cast! I envy all of you who saw it in person.

gkelly, vivika1982, rosewood and 5 others like this.
  25. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Wow a huge THANK YOU to all who provided reviews :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:. I'm heading to youtube to see as much as I can of the show. I am also hoping it will be televised cause it sounds wonderful.

26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for sharing your reports!

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's great to see the number of top skaters performing in the show. I suspect that's a result of both the respect the skaters have for Kristi and Brian, as well as their desire to support a good cause. Kudos to everyone involved with the show.

skatesindreams likes this.
  28. Mathman

Mathman Active Member

Thank you MacMadam and Bardtoob. Great reviews. Also, thanks Sylvia for the link to the videos.

29. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

30. MacMadame

I forgot to mention that the over the speaker announcer was Kristi's husband Bret Hedican! :D