Going to Rome for a month, advice needed

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kosjenka, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

So, I received a scholarship to go to Rome for 4 weeks to improve my Italian. I am very excited and am looking for some advice from people who have been there or maybe live there :)
    Of course I will be seeing all the big stuff, but maybe some less known places?
    I do have a place to stay that has been offered to my by my church, but I have a bad feeling about it... It is quite far away from my school (my school is near Colosseum) and it is not even near metro lines.
    So if anyone has experience with room renting in Rome, I would appreciate any advice.
    I have been reading a lot about what to see in Rome and I am also taking some advice from this web site.

And if there are FSUers in Rome during July, I would love to meet you :)

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

- Transportation near Colosseo is not that bad…..

Near the Colosseo there are 3 metro stations Circo Massimo, Colosseo, Via Cavour. They “encompass the Colosseo area where your school might be.

All 3 are on the Blue-B line. You can get to most parts of Rome from ANY of these 3 stations, BUT! you will have to transfer at Termini to connect to other lines.

Buses are a lot more flexible as far as routes. Metro in Rome has limited coverage (but they are building new lines).

The areas to consider an apartment rental (that are RESIDENTIAL affordable areas near the centre, not tourist centre locations).

- West Bank of Tiber – Trastevere. But not further away from River Tiber than 5-6 blocks. And going North to South: Below Vatican and NOT further down then few blocks below Isola Tiberina (in the river).
    - Along Via Regina Margherita and Via Regina Elena, close to intersection with Via Nomentana (until it becomes Via XXIV de September), and all the area between Via Regina margherita with Nomentana on the South and Villa Borghese on the North.

- You do NOT want to look for an apartment in the following places that is close to Termini and along the tracks (going south) within 3-4 block range.

I’ll tell you what: PM or post any of the apartments you’re considering and their address/location and I will tell you exactly what I know about area and transportation.

Also, give me address of your school’s location (near Colosseo is not enough) and the address of the apartment offered by your Church …….. And your budget.

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Kosjenka -- No advice, but congratulations!

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

kosjenka, that's great. Rome is an amazing city, you will love spending your summer there!
    I don't have any experiences with renting in Rome but I have used http://www.airbnb.com for short-term rentals in other cities and had a good experience. It might be a good option for finding lodging.

You can contact local couchsurfers to show you around the city.