Going to NYC...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DBZ, May 11, 2010.

1. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I'll be visiting NYC this summer for the first time, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good restaurants/places to check out?

More specifically, I guess I'm looking for more obscure, less "touristy" places to visit.

Of course, I'll be checking out the major sites: Empire State, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, MoMA, etc., but I'd also like to see interesting places other than the big "must-sees."

As for restaurants, of course I'd like to try all the staples: New York Cheesecake, Steak, Pizza, etc., but again, maybe lesser known places.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Me Me Me! We went this past Christmas and my stepmom gave us some great places to eat. Two of the best meals I ever had were in NYC.

The first place we went to was a place called Tree. It is a little bitty place but had excellent food. It was the type of place where you go in and the owner is sitting at the bar having a few drinks, talking to the patrons, etc. I got the steak au poivre with black pepper corn sauce, TO DIE FOR. They are also well known for their pasta with clam and mussels I think, can't remember as I didn't get it but my stepmom and boyfriend did and they loved it. My boyfriends mom got the braised short ribs and said it was some of the best food she ever ate. So that is 3 different meals and all of us just couldn't get enough, who knows how good everything else is on the menu! It isn't touristy, at all, very tiny place!!

The other place we went was a Mexican restaurant called Zarella's. The bar is right at the front and it was PACKED so we almost didn't go in thinking the wait was forever long but apparently the bar is just a popular local hang out. We got seated right away upstairs and there actually wasn't many people even eating. It isn't your typical mexican menu so you might want to find an online menu first but we ordered their specials and freaked out over how good everything was. We all kind of shared and passed around thing. My stepmom got the fish tacos and says it was the best fried fish she ever had, in a taco or not. They have this sour cream rice that is a side and it was amazing. I definitely recommend it but again, read the menu because it isn't typical Mexican.

3. silverstars

silverstars New Member

If you're including the Museum of Natural History on your tour (please do! It's touristy, but amazing), stay on the Upper West Side and wander around a bit. There's Lincoln Center and lots of cute (and much less crowded--it hasn't emerged as a big shopping district yet) stores on Columbus Avenue around the museum. If you're looking for NYC food staples, the UWS is also the location of H&H Bagels, which are amazing, and Zabar's, which is a famous gourmet grocery store. If you're in to historical stuff, there's also the NY Historical Society, as well as some pop culture landmarks like Strawberry Fields in Central Park and the Dakota (where John Lennon was shot). If you have the time, I'd also suggest heading over to Riverside Park, which borders the Hudson River. It's absolutely beautiful and much less touristy than Central Park. Plus, you can see the gorgeous apartment buildings along Riverside Drive.

Occasional docking incidents aside, if you want the best (and cheapest) view of the city from the water, I suggest the Staten Island Ferry. I also suggest walking the Brooklyn Bridge and stopping at Grimmaldi's for pizza on the other side--it's a long wait, but a lot of people consider it the best pizza in the city. Also, if you're looking for less touristy destinations, Brooklyn might be a nice place to explore. The Brooklyn Museum, botanical gardens, and Prospect Park are all located right next to each other in Park Slope, so you could make a nice day out of that.

If you have a nice day, I really, really recommend the Cloisters. They're way up beyond the GW Bridge (there's a bus that goes directly to them...I can't remember off of the top of my head which one it is) and located in Fort Tryon Park. It's a nice, quiet place to go and escape the crowds of NYC, and their medieval art collection and gardens are great. Plus, they're a part of the Met, so if you've already gone there in the morning, you can go to the Cloisters for free! (Although the Met is pay what you want, so this might not matter too much...also, side note, the Met has an exhibit by the Costume Institute about American women that just went up and is supposed to be great, so you might want to check that out).

Sorry this is long...I like talking about my city! I also recommend just picking a neighborhood, i.e. Greenwich Village, and just spending an afternoon wandering around. NYC is definitely best seen from the sidewalks, and even if you don't set off with a plan, you'll definitely find something to do.

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Try the Museum of Public Transportation in Brooklyn. It's actually housed in an old subway station, and is a really funky exhibit.

Also, go to Top of the Rock at Rockerfeller Center. The views at dusk are amazing, and you can get some great shots of the Chrysler Building and The Empire State.

Finally, I loved The Museum of Broadcasting and The Museum of Modern Art, both within walking distance of each other. They were the perfect outing on a rainy day.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side is quite an experience, if you are interested in history.

6. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The outdoor spaces on 6th Ave near Prospect Park in Brooklyn are fun and funky. The park itself is amazing. Rent a bike and explore.

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

8. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Have fun!!

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I love High Line Park in the Meatpacking district. It's crowded but I think more with New Yorkers than with tourists.
    If you want to try some ethnic food in addition to New York specialties, go to Turkish Kitchen - they have excellent Turkish food and not too expensive.
    http://turkishkitchen.com/
    Have fun!

10. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the recs!

The Turkish food sounds interesting.

Oh, does anyone know of a really good Japanese restaurant to eat at in NYC...specifically in Manhattan?

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

We went and ate at Tao. Is that Japanese, I think it is. It is pretty well known and had a great atmosphere. It is a more touristy place but we liked it anyway and the orange chicken was to die for. I still crave it. They didn't have a very big sushi selection at all, so it might be more Chinese than Japanese. I feel like this belongs in the HR thread, haha!

12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member