Going to Berlin for the New Year

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Andrey aka Pushkin, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Guten Aben :D

Myself and TAHbKA are going to Berlin for the New Year (30.12-2.1).
    As we thought, the Germans know how to celebrate in the most pompous way, so it sounded like a good idea. The trouble is, that apart from the fireworks at the midnight, we know absolutely nothing :lol:

Any ideas, suggestions, experiences? :hat1:

2. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

That definietly depends on what you want to do. There's museums, of course. A lot of them. Weather is forecast to be cold, so I'd stick to indoor activities.
    If you're interested in castles, there's Schloss Charlottenburg. I would check the website though to see if they're open. They have some weird opening hours.
    The Berlin Dom is quite a sight, then there's the Alexander Platz with the Fernsehturm which provides a nice view.
    The "Museums Insel" with a lot of different museums.
    The Nikolaiviertel close to "Unter den Linden" and the Berlin Dom is supposed to be quite nice. I've never been there myself, just heard that.
    It's probably too cold for the zoo... and the "Gedächtniskirche" is under construction, so I don't know if it's open or not. There's not much to see at the moment.
    Personally, I love the water clock in the Europa Center at the Ku-Damm. It's an interesting construction and if you have a minute I'd have a look.
    The Ku Damm has some nice decoration at this time of the year if you like Christmas decoration.
    The Botanische Garten (botanical garden) is really nice, too.
    Then there's the Brandenburger Tor, of course, and the Siegessäule.

One thing you need to be aware of - if there's snow which there still is at the moment and if it's cold (it's supposed to be around -11 (Dec 30th) up till +2 (Jan 1st) degrees) and I mean below zero then the public transportation system won't function normally. Busses might, the U-Bahn might as well, the S-Bahn won't.
    I don't know how it is at the moment but many trains don't run on time and there trains are shorter and the intervals are longer. However, you should be able to get around with public transportation without a problem otherwise. They're supposed to run all night long Dec 31st and certain lines do so anyway.

If you're partying at the Brandenburger Tor on Dec 31st then you need to be aware that you didn't have unlimited access the past years since there were simply too many people. I think an hour before everything got underway it was closed. So, you need to be there early.

I'd be happy to provide more information if needed/interested.

3. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

jealous!

4. Andrey aka Pushkin

Thanks!
    :)
    This is not the first time for either of us in Berlin, I suppose we're more into New Year related activities. Naturally, it'd be way too late to find any actual tickets to concerts or suchlike, but perhaps there are some places to go, some things to do and so on, that would be available for the spontaneous travelers like ourselves :)

Lol... And given that Berlin public transportation is the best in the world, even with the delay I'm not worried :D

5. ballettmaus

The spoiled "Berliner" are quite unnerved by the troubled public transportation system ;) But if you don't mind, then that's great. Happy tourists are always welcome.

I think it will be rather difficult to find some New Year related activities which you can still go to. There's always a lot of concerts and other performances; the Berliner Philharmoniker for example have a concert each year which is supposed to be really great, if you're into classical music. But it's unlikely to get tickets for it that late.
    There's a magazine called "Tip" which has all the events and parties listed. Maybe they do have a website as well. You could check.
    Sometimes the opera houses and concert halls have something like "Restkarten" which are "left-over tickets". You get them about half an hour before the performance starts at the actual venue.

6. Andrey aka Pushkin

Good :)
    I'll look for it.

Any street stages/performances you can think of?

7. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I got to visit Berlin for one day on a trip to Germany several years ago. I loved it! I hope you have a great time. :cheer2:

9. ballettmaus

No, not from the top of my head, sorry. :slinkaway

10. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

subscribing....