Glee! Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by altai_rose, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be high school Glee anymore, but I think I'd be more interested in your suggestion.

2. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I'd really prefer it if we could just follow the established characters. I can't bring myself to care about Marley/Jake/Kitty/ect.

I liked this episode, though it seemed a bit scattered. It might have been better if they'd just focused on one or two of the couples instead of introducing drama between all four of them. I found Kurt and Blaine's troubles to be the saddest, especially after the brilliant revival of Teenage Dream.

And I'm with those who think this is it for Glee. While I don't hate the direction it's gone in as much as some, it's too bad that a show with such a stellar beginning deteriorated like this. :blah:

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Am I the only one who is 100% happy with Glee?

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yes and congratulations on that

5. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

:lol:

It is what it is, right? I'm still watching it, but I get bored a lot more often when watching than I used to.

6. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

While I am not 100% happy, I am not as unhappy as some of you.
    I still watch it, but then, I am more invested in Samuel/Joe, and Alex/Unique than most of you as I watched the first season of Glee Project and really liked it.
    I will be invested in Damian/Rory when he comes back too.
    Although these characters never do much than stand in the background, do they.
    And here is the place when I mention that the season 2 of Glee Project was a big letdown .

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Loved the most recent episode, a plot line, music that fit the plot and it involved characters I cared about.

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I'm just as happy with the show as I ever was. It's not like Marley and Sarah Jessica Parker are pregnant.

9. Ares

Ares Guest

Nah, an average around 6 million seems pretty acceptable these days, especially with a show strong in the key 18-49 demo. They might have to ax some of the massive cast though, which seems necessary anyway.

I liked this week's episode though. The music was good and I liked that the plot seemed more focused. We only had a little swerve to keep the new characters relevant (the standard- Marley is poor, new guy is noble and stands up for her...is this the 3rd or 4th time that's happened?)

You would think if your mom is the lunch lady, you'd at least get a free lunch.

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

An average of 6 million is somewhat acceptable, but on only the 3rd episode of a season that's a really bad sign. These things normally continue to drop.

We'll see.

11. dramagrrl

dramagrrl New Member

The thing with Glee, though, is that ratings aren't as important because the show continues to make money for Fox through iTunes song sales, potential tour tickets (apparently the cast will be going on tour again this spring/summer after taking a break last year), merchandise, etc. So unless ratings drop drastically, I'd assume they'll be safe for at least another season.

12. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

The problem with Jarley, Kitty, etc is that the writers seem to be giving us plot lines as if we were already invested in the characters but nothing really to make us invested in the characters. Especially when we've still got the old characters that we already care about to watch. If they were going to do this split time thing, they should have just made Britney, Tina, Artie, Blaine, Sam and possibly Unique the focus and filled in the background instead of trying to leave most of those characters in the background and bringing in new characters that people don't care about to be the focus.

13. Ares

Ares Guest

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm glad I caught up with the four episodes before reading this thread. Yikes. I rather continue enjoying the show for what it is.

See this thread later.

15. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Couldn't agree more.

16. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Just caught up on the season so far. As far as I'm concerned, the smartest thing this show could do would be to put Santana on a plane to New York to go live with Kurt and Rachel (with say, Quinn or Mercedes dropping in for a visit every now and then) and ditch the Ohio side or things entirely. Everything at McKinley just feels so "been there, done that", which is extra frustrating given that they actually had opportunities to shake up the dynamics at the school, what with the Glee Club's newfound popularity as champions, and the need to bring in new members. Unfortunately, Glee being Glee, they completely wasted that by hitting the reset button on the former after one episode and making all the new characters rehashes of the old characters, only stripped of all the stuff that made them interesting or fun to watch.

I mean, look at their attempt to recreate the Puck/Rachel relationship that never happened: Puck 2.0 has the "bad boy" thing, but without any of the original's humour or charm, while Rachel 2.0 is missing...well, anything remotely resembling a personality (seriously, could she possibly be more bland?)

A few more thoughts, mostly one The First Time:

Did my eyes and ears deceive me, or did Rachel finally, finally grow a damn backbone when it comes to Finn and stop letting him treat her like the toy he puts back on the shelf whenever he feels like it and expects to still be there when he wants to play with it again? I mean, that speech was about three years overdue, but that doesn't mean I didn't watch it three times in a row to appreciate the beauty of it. Lea was really terrific in that scene too. Actually the acting was pretty great all around in that episode (even Heather Morris managed to get through a heavy drama scene without making me cringe).

I've never really been a big Brittana person (mostly because I find the idea of Brittany being in any kind of serious relationship, given the infantile way in which she's written, to be kind of weird and creepy), but their breakup scene was really well done and realistic I thought. Also, Naya's rendition of "Mine" was gorgeous - probably my favourite song of the season so far.

Speaking of Santana, was I the only one who thought that Left Behind scene was building up to her laying an epic smackdown on Quinn 2.0? Kind of disappointed it didn't.

Brody is sex on a stick, even if I do have trouble buying that he beat out Jesse St. James for a spot at NYADA.

I'm not feeling Rachel's big makeover, and not just because I've always liked her look as it was. Her style has evolved over the course of the show, but it's always had a very distinct feel that was totally appropriate to the character. I get that they want to show that this is The New Rachel, but it's too much, too soon, and as a result feels less like she's growing up and more like she got a personality transplant overnight. And on a semi-related note, Lea officially needs a hair intervention. I'll never understand why she abandoned her Season 1 hair, which was perfection.

I think Tina's three songs in the first two episodes might have been more than she sang all last season. Clearly the writer's realized this as well and promptly shoved her back into the background for the next two.

During the "Womanizer" number in Britney 2.0, all I could think was how awesome that would have been as a number in the first Britney episode, with Santana, Quinn, Rachel, and Mercedes singing it to Puck.

Is anyone getting the feeling that they're laying the groundwork to have Finn take over the club while Will is gone? And what's up with that anyway? I mean, it's not like I particularly care about Will but having him just up and leave for months (and presumably writing Matt Morrison out for awhile) is kind of...out of nowhere.

And finally, do think there's any chance that a storyline featuring the show's main character attending theatre school might feature a few actual showtunes?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  17. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Is anyone getting the feeling? I had been under the impression that that scenario had been telegraphed fifty million miles away. ;) I think it's super obvious that Finn is going to take over GLEE for awhile since he's obviously not going to NY now. Great way to keep him around AND keep him busy.

18. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

So I chatted with Ryan Murphy this evening he is definitely still focused on "Glee." He told me he's working on not one but two tribute episodes but has to get the music cleared. He said a lot more but I can't give it away yet.

I thought he would be super intimidating but he was friendly and obliging. His husband is super nice.

19. all_empty

Ok, so Ryan told me
    Eli, Blaine's online hookup, will be showing up this season. In fact, they've already shot the scenes with him.

He also said that
    some of the split couples will be getting back together, but some are staying broken up.

More to come...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  20. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

all_empty, it's really awesome of you to share your reports but would you mind spoiler tagging them? A lot of people don't like to know what will happen before it does. Thanks!

There are pictures of the guy who plays Eli floating around on Tumblr and a partial script for the scene that appears to be real.

I see plenty of the spoilers so if people are interested, let me know and I'll post them over here.

21. all_empty

I figured these were very mild spoilers but I've gone ahead and added spoiler tags. I have really major spoilers but I won't add them here.

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Please do!

Please, please, please!! :cheer2: :cheer: :D

23. Ares

Ares Guest

Just caught up with last week's episode.

"You had a retarded baby" :eek: If that was used to re-launch the formula of Will/Glee club vs Sue, except with Finn in Will's place, are we supposed to be rooting for Finn? Because I'm not.

I did like notPuck and notQuinn's song. And it was nice to see Mercedes and Mike.

And we get a notFinn. The set is now complete. :lol:

Hopefully we're back to NYC this week.

24. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I can't remember anything at all about Sue and the baby storyline. :shuffle: Can someone recap that quickly? Did we ever actually see Sue with the baby?

25. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Sue has had the baby a couple of times but I think the joke is that she makes the Cheerios take care of it.

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I get tired of the show saying that one form of discrimination or prejudice is worse than another. Whatever, Sue.

However, TINA WAS SCREWED! The show hasn't performed its annual "A glee members quits glee club!" storyline yet (and it looks like Blaine may fulfill that slot), but I have to say: Tina--secede like Texas!

27. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Near the end of last season (or maybe it was beginning of this season?), they seemed to have dialed Sue down a few thousand notches where she was at least a likeable version of someone you are supposed to not like. But now they have spun her out of control again where she is just MEAN mean, versus parody mean like she originally was. It used to be fun to hate Sue, now she's just hateful again.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't Tina have noticed that every time she went to take out Marley's skirt, someone had already pulled it in a few inches? The amount of times Quinn Wannabee (what is her name again?? :eek:) had taken in that skirt yet wouldn't Marley have known she did not gain a single pound, and yet all her other clothes still fit exactly the same? :shuffle:

And one thing from last episode I thought was ridiculous was this .... So Will is on a panel to work in Washington for 4 months. Great. Good for him. Great he can help improve the arts in the schools. But its 4 freaking months. You don't uproot your life, your wife and her work life, and move to another state just because you are on a work panel for 4 freaking months. That's ridiculous. You fly home every couple weekends and the 4 months is over just like that. I was totally on Emma's side about not wanting to go because that was so stupid that he expected her to do that when he was going to be gone for only 4 months. Heck I've worked for people who took assignments in other states, and even overseas, for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years who did not make their wives move because they were at the height of their careers as well. They just took turns flying to each other every couple weeks.

And why exactly is Will doing this panel? Did Matthew Morrison want off the show? Will he really be back? Or was it storyline dictated to have a reason for Finn to be there?

28. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I was totally bored during last night's episode. I really couldn't care less about the new characters. Marley has to be the most stupid person in the world to believe she is getting fat because her Sandy costume is tight yet her everyday clothes are okay, I don't blame Tina for being upset, Santana never should had been given a part in a school play over a current student, still no interaction between Mercedes and Sam, and it's okay to show the audience how to make yourself puke but not okay to sing the original lyrics to Greased Lightening?

29. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I missed the previous episode and didn't really care but tuned in last night to see if this show still has any grab on me. It doesn't; I'm pretty sure I'm done watching regularly. It is too contrived! I was particularly annoyed by the Kate Hudson storyline. What teacher would even bother! All this to get an emotional scene for Rachel! Yuck! Don't know who any of the new people are and I don't care. Kurt's storyline wasn't any better either. And the Sandy costume bit was stupid.

30. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Can Rachel get Cassandra fired for sleeping with a student?