Glee! Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by altai_rose, Sep 14, 2012.

1. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Thoughts? Comments on the 1st episode?

I really liked the 1st episode today and I'm really excited (more than the last 2 seasons) to watch the show and see how things pan out. Glad they're not focusing on Finn/Rachel, and I really like the new girl singer in New Directions (sorry, didn't catch her name).

2. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I actually really thought that this opener was better than last years. The pace of last year was totally of to me.

I'm sad about Tina and Mike breaking up, of course. And Ryan Murphy continues to be deeply confusing on trans issues.

Call Me Maybe was pretty great. And Darren's "It's Time" was super cute. I'm really glad they got Kurt out of Lima pretty fast. Mike O'Malley was great, as always.

I'm actually not sure I'm on board with the New Rachel bit. Instead of highlighting a different, more senior member of the Glee Club, let's go out and get us a girl who is basically exactly the same as the one who just left but not quite as good of a singer! I like her, but I think I'd like her better if I thought they'd leave her more in the background and give the other kids a chance to shine.

3. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

No Santana, no Mike, no Puck, no Coach Bieste, no Quinn. Whiney, mopey Rachel and Kurt. Rachel lite, Puck lite, Quinn lite. Way too much Unique.

No thanks. It's been fun, Glee.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. I especially like the interaction with the veteran Glee members. I like the dynamic amongst Tina, Artie, Blaine, and Brittany.

It is weird that given all the departing Glee members, they only got two new people (probably three). I thought they didn't reject anyone? I mean, Sugar's still around.

I didn't miss Santana, Mercedes, Finn, Mike, Puck and Quinn much (and what happened to Damien?). However, if the show decides to showcase one or two departing Glee members per episode (we've seen Rachel and Kurt--let's move on to, say, Santana and Mike), then I'm all for that.

And my goodness, did Kurt learn any lessons? Why isn't he applying to more schools? In all of the USA, there is only one decent performing arts school?

5. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I liked the lunch lady and her daughter.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I like the new people better than the remaining Gleesters. And, so help me, I liked the Rachel-in-NYC bit - but Rachel and Kurt need to have their own spin off show.

I never want to see or hear about Sue's baby again. Ryan Murphy now has his other show to work out his parenthood issues and can leave Glee alone maybe?

Way too much Unique.

I did miss Becky.

7. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

No Irish boy. boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

8. Theatregirl1122

I thought Damien wasn't asked to return for this season?

9. genevieve

it sounds like his character might be back even though he's not a series regular.

10. znachki

znachki Active Member

I liked the premiere quite a lot. Actual plot lines that felt real and made character sense. But, it's early days yet. We didn't get to see everyone, but there are a lot of characters and storylines to juggle. I'm sure we'll see them more later.

I loved the lunch lady and her daughter. I thought that the way they did the Puck's brother was odd. Really Schuester? You couldn't have told them all that they weren't going to get to sing the whole song? But, I suppose drama has to be created somehow...

Mike O'Malley as always :respec: He hit that trying not to let Kurt see him cry, but breaking down perfectly.

11. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Who is Daimen?

I liked it, but I missed Puck and Santana. and Mike's abs
    I liked Marley, she seems different enough to Rachel - someone who doesn't want to be a star.

I do wish the old glee members get some time to shine.

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I don't think Marley's voice is strong enough to carry the Glee club, how did Mr Shu find out Jake was Puck's brother when he didn't know his last name?

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

McKinley isn't that big a school. A simple computer search of "Jake" would quickly give you a list of all the students with that name. Mr. Schue would quickly cross out the Jakes he already knew, so there wouldn't be that many files to uncover.

14. znachki

znachki Active Member

The guy that played Rory the Irish exchange student.

Since I don't watch the Glee Experiment or whatever, I'm not sure, but wasn't he the winner of Season 1?

It's like they got hm and then didn't know what to do with him. Too many plot lines, too many characters. Of course, he didn't really exude charisma either.

15. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I enjoyed the show last night, but occasionally felt like I was watching a musical version of Degrassi.

16. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

No comments on Ms. Hudson?

I thought she was much less cartoonish a villainess than Sue, but I hope they don't make her a one-dimensional bad guy. Better singer and dancer than I expected.

17. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Kate Hudson showed her skills in "Nine". She does have the background.

18. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

oh, speaking of villans, I was missing the swim coach too.

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

really, i thought cassandra july was a bad heaviiy autotuned singer and the "dancing" was a series of edits, no actual dancing. but i had seen the clip at least a wk ago and did all of my grumbling about it then. her pronunciation of the spanish words pissed me off too.

20. Ares

Ares Guest

They had a new Rachel, Quinn, Puck, and (to some extent) Mercedes at Lima High who were basically a poor man's versions of the originals. It's feeling a little too Saved by the Bell: The New Class for me.

The after school special about not making fun of the lunch lady was pretty cheesy, but I like the story of her and her daughter.

I liked Rachel's new future boyfriend too.

Overall though, it felt like something was missing. The show seems to have lost its mojo.

21. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I miss how it was in season one!
    Now I'm just watching it because I started and have to continue... not because it's really enjoyable. :S

grimey and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Theatregirl1122

I was deeply Meh about Kate.

23. genevieve

I liked Kate all right, but....

there were so many edits in that dance routine I thought I was watching Flashdance. And the singing was decent but there was certainly work done in the studio to help it along.

24. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

The swim coach aka NeNe Leakes is on Ryan's new show "The New Normal" and "Real Housewives," of course.

I find Unique to be "NeNe lite," and the sassy black woman bit is getting old.

My understanding is Damian is gone, but the "Glee Project" co-winner Sam is still on the show. The Season 2 winner Blake was at the premiere party. His hair is a little shorter if anyone cares about such things and he seems like a nice guy.

I'm on the Paramount lot here and there and will see if I can get any scoop. I always run into a cast member or two there during taping season.

25. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree, but don't most of the numbers on Glee at least some autotune? Or at least are way over-produced.

Overall, I thought it was an ok season opener, but overall I think the series has run out of gas.

26. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Part of the problem for me is that I felt the show reached its natural conclusion at the end of season three. The underdogs triumphed. What more is there to explore.

27. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

Word. When I heard Damian wasn't coming back but Samuel and Alex were, that was it for me :blah:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i agree with this

as much as i like artie tina and brittany, i'd be happy to see a nyada only show.

but i wouldnt hire people like whoopi goldberg and kate hudson as nyada staff just because they are famous. why not hire people that can actually do what their character supposedly can do?

29. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

That was my thought too. They should have started the show with everyone being a freshman. That would guarantee 4 solid seasons to build up to a big climax, and that would have been a good ending for the show. I wouldn't be surprised if this season is it for Glee. :(

30. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

I didn't even realize he wasn't there until I read this thread. :slinkaway