Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

As a Skinny Jeans & RSVP wearer, that's too bad. Shopper's Drug Mart will hopefully still carry them in Canada. Wouldn't Ulta in the US?

Why aren't they carrying them?

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am interested in getting a gel eyeliner and brush. Any recommendations?

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that's too bad. i normally get my benefit at bloomingdales. i try to save the sephora pilgrimage for stuff i cant get at my other local stores.

4. fan

fan Well-Known Member

i am interested in getting a pencil gel eyeliner. any recos?

5. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

I wear Smashbox's Jet Set waterproof eyeliner in Jet Black, and I have no complaints about it at all.
    MAC's and Coastal Scent's are also very good.

You should use a slanted brush to apply it. I don't have recommendations on it, as I got mine on a craft store :D.

And you can also use regular eyeshadow as an eyeliner. Use a wet, with water or some glycerin mixing medium (MAC has one, but you can do one yourself with 2 parts water, one part glycerin), slanted brush, tap the eyeshadow with it and apply it ;)

6. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I heard from a sephora clerk that Benefit is "re packaging" their products and Sephora decided not to carry the cream shadows anymore. The cream shadows the one of the biggest seller for Benefit at Sephora. Andorra I would try Ulta but I would think your best bet would be the Benefit website.

IA - gel liners I recommend Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Liner and then MAC Fluidline. BB has more colors than MAC and the staying power for BB is outstanding. Good a good eye liner brush, Bobbi Gel liner and life is good.

Fan - I have tried Bobbi Brown's gel liner pencil and it a good product. I heard Avon has a gel pencil but I have tried them yet.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I use regular eye shadow as eyeliner but think that the gel has a more uniform, precise look. I like both looks and intend to use both but wanted the more defined look of gel for variety's sake.

I got MAC in Blacktrack and their smaller slanted brush today. I have a larger slanted brush and it's good for wet regular eye shadow application as eyeliner but not precise enough for gel.

topaz, stopped by the Bobbi Brown counter--no one there. MAC had two salesladies so I headed to MAC. Returned Armani Maestro. For that :bribe: I expect to look 25. :drama: It really wasn't doing much for me other than drying out my skin.

8. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Avon has liqui-glide glimmerstick eye liner. Not too pricey but I don't have any info on how long lasting they are.

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I know this isn't make-up/beauty related, but does anyone have any tips on how to make shoes that are a little too large fit better? I found a pair of heels that I LOVE but they're about a half-size too big. Normally this would not be a problem but since they are, well, heels, my foot slides into them and crunches my toes.

If I can't fix them it's no big loss; they were stunningly cheap ($3!!!) so it's not like I'm out of money. I was thinking maybe those silicone pads on the heel to grip my foot better and maybe some padding on the side to help fill the space. Actually, anything like Dr. Scholes would probably work since they help pad shoes, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. :)

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Not makeup but lingerie (a different type of glamor ;) - can't find the "what to wear" thread). JCPenney now has it's own line done by Cosabella. Some cute basics at a fraction of the cost of Cosabella's regular stuff.

This should be an easy fix. Buy insoles by Dr. Scholl's or a house brand - they make them for just under the ball of the foot or you can buy whole ones and cut the heel part off. You might need a double layer, so experiment. Once you find that they work, you can either leave them as is sitting on top of your shoe's inner liner, or you can lift it up and place them underneath.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

There are some really cute Cosabella things there, BB! Thanks!

I've been using my MAC gel liner and like it but it's not the perfectly defined look I was hoping for. I think I am just not good at it yet. Any tips as to how to make a perfect, uniformly colored line?

12. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Use a liquid liner?

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Practice. :) There are tons of YouTube videos on how to apply gel liner. Make sure you're getting enough liner on your brush - if you're having color patchiness, it sounds like you're using too little product.

(I find liquid liner to be even patchier than gel)

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I recently converted to liquid liner and I love it. After about a week of "put it on, take it off, try again" mornings, I got the hang of it. I'm nervous about trying gel... one big liner change every few years is good enough for me. ;)

My new mascara find is Clinique's 24-Hour Pretty. I bought some on a whim last week and love the results. I haven't had any smudging at all - even after a long day - and my lashes look great.

15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

love this product. It lasts all day and if I am too lazy to wash off at night it lasts into the next day! My bad.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Stopped by Sephora today and picked up Bare Minerals eye shadow quad in the Happy Place and lipstick in Black Currant.

topaz, you will be proud of me, I went for a stronger lip color. The sales guy told me that with my olive complexion I should be going for this kind of bluish red if I were to go strong. I am very happy with this. :)

Still working on my gel liner application skills. :shuffle: I need a class.

17. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

IA - I am so proud at your lipcolor choice. That's a gorgeous color too.

Gel liner is not for the novice. It does take practice as Versperholly stated but. Try using short strokes and try starting the line in the middle of your eye or at the end/outer corner. Or what works for me; I sit my elbow on the counter or table to stablilize my arm.

Michelle Phan's Eyeliner Tutorial. Try this tutorial

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  18. beepbeep

My experience is that, even with video tutorials, when it comes to eyeliner, practice is your best friend.

19. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I use Lancome's gel eyeliner which comes in a pot and requires a brush. I bought their fancy expensive brush, but I get better control and results using a concealer brush (the kind that looks like a mini foundation brush).

20. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Sephora's eyeliner brush has been the best thing I've used with my gel eyeliners.

I like gel for a less precise look vs. liquid liners. If I want the line clean, but not so sharp and... liquid-liner-y. Like a perfect pencil liner look. Anything sharper, I'd go with Stila's liquid liner pen. It's really the best thing out there.

21. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I haven't tried that brush Andora. It looks wonderful though. I usually get good results with either my BB Ultra Fine Brush, angled stiff eyeliner brush or Sigma Eye Liner #E05. The stiff angle brush is wonderful for a winged liner. Sometimes I use two brushes to achieve the look I like. I bought this brush and I didn't really like it. I got it for around $7. I tried the angled/slanted Sonia Kaschuk brush but I just couldnt' get a straight thin line.

I like to use liquid liner too. I do well with felt tip liquid liners. L'Oreal Lineur Intense is really good. Also, Lancome's Artliner is fantastic. I want to try Stila's All Day liner along with the YSL liner which a MUA told me is the best.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

23. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My favourite from that list, bar none, is the Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. I keep tubes of it in my purse, my car, my desk, my bathroom.... I can't be without it.

24. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Went to Shoppers Drug Mart today and got a few purchases as follows:

1. Was looking for an undereye concealer and the sales lady suggested: Instant Light Brush on Perfector in 01 from Clarins. It is a light reflecting semi-highlighter type concealer for the face. You can also use it as a highlighter on top of your cheeks. The 01 is slightly pink which is perfect for my skin. It is not a heavy/full coverage but just enough for me (I have some small wrinkles and a little discoloration under the eye but 'not a whole lot going on there' according to the sales lady.)

So far I really like it. It gives enough coverage while brightening my tired eye area (due to lack of sleep mostly.)

http://www.sephora.com/instant-light-brush-on-perfector-P283914

2. I only use cream eyeshadows and love Makeup Forever Aqua eyes but they didn't have the wheat colour I am looking for. I found Clinique lid smoothie in 'bit o' honey.' I've not used this product before, but my mom has used another colour in this line and says that they are good. I will let you know on that one.

http://www.clinique.co.uk/product/1...thie-Antioxidant-8-Hour-Eye-Colour/index.tmpl

Just to come back and update regarding the Arbonne R9 skincare line, I did purchase it a few weeks ago and I must say that I am loving it. My skin has never been better. So that was worth the investment there ....so far, anyway.

25. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I hope you have better luck than I did. I had to return it as I found it so horrible. Mary Kay's cream eyeshadow in beach blonde is an amazing alternative. Though I guess you can't get that at SDM. ;)

26. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I figure I can always give it to my mom if I don't like it as she seems to like them alot. :hat1:

27. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Ok, I've been trying to branch out and use bolder colors other than nude colored make up. Today I used Wet n' Wild's Cherry Picking lipstick. BRIGHT! I almost wimped out and wiped it off but forced myself to keep it on. It lasted pretty long, stayed on through my daughter's softball practice and son's basketball practice, a total of 5.5 hours. I sipped a lot of water too so I'm pretty impressed considering how cheap it is. Here I am on the way to softball.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It looks really good on you, mhh! Don't be afraid, you can pull it off and then some!

29. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I love it. Looks great on you!

30. beepbeep

It looks great on you!