Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Thanks sweetie. I'll let you and others know when I add new posts. I have to add a few over the next few days.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Would love to see it!
    I love the Cognac one, would totally wear it.

No, I have not tried the seche vite top coats but thank you, sounds great. I am going to Google them! You rock! :respec:

3. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Primped and primed my fingernails and toenails today. Now on to the hardest part: which nail polish to use? I'm thinking Revlon's Cherries in the Snow for my toes but with a twist, I'm going to use a matte top coat. (BTW, Seche Vite is awesome! Not sure if they make a matte top coat though.) For my fingers I'm thinking Sally Hansen's Smooth and Perfect in Dune, maybe a matte top coat for my ring finger as an accent or maybe use the Cherries as a "french manicure" tip.

4. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Cherries in the Snow is sooo pretty :cool:

I use Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri top coat. I a bit thick, but nothing that a bit of nail polish thinner won't solve.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

6. myhoneyhoney

I would love for my hair to match Cherries in the Snow. I really need to keep experimenting with the dyes until I can get a good match. That way it's a no brainer: CITS for hair, lips, and nails! lol Right now I'm still wimping out and playing safe with neutral brown eyeshadows and lips.

Snaggletooth, wow! I'm passing that link to my dentist, she'll keel over! :lol:

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I bought the Urban Decay Oz palette today in "Glinda" :swoon:

8. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

:scream: Good god, I recently spent over $4000 to get rid of my snaggleteeth (or is it snaggletooths?).

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

dear god, that girl in the pic has teeth pointing in every direction like a weather vane. it is bad enough when someone has jacked up teeth, i cant imagine paying someone to jack them up.

10. myhoneyhoney

I took the tip of adding cornstarch to clear nail polish for a matte finish. It was messy with cornstarch all over my counter until I too a little folded piece of paper and used that to pour in the cornstarch in the bottle. Gave it a good shaking and oh my gosh, I have matted Cherries in the Snow toes!!! I'm sure it's not as good as Essie/OPI/Butter London's matte top coats but it's good enough for now. Let's see how long it lasts.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

12. my little pony

sweet fancy moses, where are their parents and employers to shame them away from self mutilation?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I know! Aside from looking like a tumor, it looks like it might cause a serious headache.

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:scream:

15. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I have a question: How can you do your eyes with eyeshadow when you have no eyelids? All the instrutions say to put the dark color in the crease, and there is no crease. The only other option is apparently cat eyes, and I tire of that. The girls at Ulta were done up like the Jersey shore and were not able to be terribly helpful. I purchased Smashbox soft box, but the only thing I can accomplish is an all over light color and eyeliner. What to do when your eyes are just stuck in the face with no lids to contour?

Disclaimer: On line tutorials are not helpful to me. Most just tell you to line your "waterline" and I tune out there because that is not something I consider good for your eye health. Also, why call it hooded eyes where there is nothing to hood the eye? Wouldn't a hooded eye logically be one that had something over it, which is what a hood is? I always thought those eyes that were deep set with big, defined lids were hooded.

16. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Everyone has an eyelid honey. Do you have "asian" or "monolid" eyes?

17. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Well, yeah, I know I have eyelids, but they disappear when open. I have no idea where they go, sort of smush up like an accordian. So I assume that Asian eyes would be similiar. Think of what it would look like if someone just drew some eyes on a face and forgot to put eyelids on them. The makeup tutorials are completely useless, as are the salespeople, since they all yammer on about a crease-There is no crease. I suppose I should watch Asian tutorials, but most of the ones I have watched just try to create this mythical damn crease. I never wore eyeshadow for years because I thought I was useless at it-Turns out that it doesn't work for me at all.

Sigh. I like this new eyeshadow. I wish to wear it properly and forget about making a crease, don't want one.

18. my little pony

i think you need to forego drawing a crease and just go for shadows that will brighten the area, like naked lunch by MAC

19. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I have hooded lids and I put the darker shade on the lid itself and the lighter shade on the "crease" (but under the browbone.) I do have a crease, but only when I have my lids closed. ;)

20. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Okay, do you have monolid like Lucy Lui or do you have a "hooded" lid like Blake Lively, Emma Stone, Selena Gomez, and Taylor Swift?

This is a hooded eyelidhttp://makeupaddiction.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hooded-eyes4-b.jpg

Your crease would be where your eyeball and brow bone meet. If you open your eyes and you can't see your lid, or very little of your lid than you have hooded eye. You just have to creat one right above where your crease normally is. It's no big deal. I have a hooded eye. I create a crease with a medium shade eyeshadow or just put a darker eyeshadow on the outer V of my eyelid.

Some of the best MUA on Youtube and the web have a monolid and a hooded eyes. I could recommend several.

So does your eyes resemble Lucy Lui's or Emma Stone, Blake Lively?

21. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I have a hooded eye too. But unless you're going for a smokey eye look, I wouldn't recommend putting the darker shade on the lid. It closes it eye up and "shrinks" the space. I recommend using a lighter shade on the lid.. to "open the eye" and a medium darker color slighly above my crease or I just do a darker color on the outer V of my lid.

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I am there too - and for me, one eye is hooded and one eye is not! :rofl:

What frankly looks best on me is a dark brown eyeliner (crayon or pencil is easiest) on my upper eyelash line, blended out. Enough so that you can see the color when my eyes are open, which for me is halfway up my eyelid when they're closed. :lol: And since my eyelid creases are uneven, I choose to make them look even when I have my eyes open. They will just have to be uneven when I blink. :drama:

It's a classic Asian look, probably for a reason. Well, that and I'm not used to wearing strong colors. It's probably best to keep it simple, especially when you have no crease to work off of.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I spent my Superbowl Sunday at various make up counters with a friend. Got the Chanel Rose Initiale Blush and lip gloss in Imaginaire.

I also sampled the Oxygen Wow foundation and Honey fits me perfectly but I didn't get it as I feel that the Bobbi Brown BB cream provides enough coverage. I don't really need a foundation. Oh and someone lost to someone in football today I guess. :shuffle:

24. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I don't usually use darker colors since I'm extremely fair. And I have large eyes too, so I don't have to worry about making them look small. ;)

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I absolutely agree with this. No matter how big your eyes are, it makes eyebrows descend visually if you put a darker shade right under them. Not a good look. A lighter shade immediately underneath the brows makes you look fresher, happier and younger. If you are lazy like me, use Highbrow from Benefit. A swipe of that and your eyebrows get an instant lift. ;)

If you feel that your eyes are big enough, you don't have to darken the crease and go with a lighter color on the lid and crease itself but save the lightest for underneath the brows.

26. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

None of the above, really. More like Bai Ling. That suits me fine, I have no wish to draw on "Western" style eyes, but want to use the eyeshadow. I gave up on tutorials when the last one showed how to take the flat blank space and draw leopard spots on it.

It's all Jenna Marble's fault. Had I not found her channel with a makeup tutorial, I never would have even thought of eyeshadow or discovered such a thing as "hooded" eyes. (Jenna doesn't have hooded eyes, I found out I did after a Google search for more tutorials) How can it be called hooded when there is nothing there? I always assumed someone like Eliza Dushku had hooded eyes....Obviously, my makeup routine is Spartan and never included eyeshadow much.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

28. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Actually, I have a few websites and youtube gurus I would recommend.

emilyquak does a smokey eye

Birchboxtv Eye Makeup Tutorial for Monolids

*I highly recommend the palette she is using; "Balm Jovi". It costs $39(12 shades) at their website. The Balm have fantastic eye shadows. I have this "Shady Lady Vol 1(Cheetah)Palette"

Or I would recommend getting a Too Faced Palette - Natural & Neutral Palette.
    The Lorac Pro Palette is a good value too.

My personal input: the right brushes do ALL the work for you. What type of makeup brushes do you have? I can recommend a few.

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Question for the "glamour pusses"(I could have used another word....lol)

Who are your favorite YouTube Beauty Gurus and Beauty Bloggers?

30. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'll list mine...

YouTube Beauty Gurus.....

Michelle Phan - I learned different makeup techniques by watching her videos. She is an ARTIST. The best YouTube Guru. She seems like a goofy, really cool young woman too.

Michelle Phan's Broken City MU Tutorial. One of my favorite looks from Michelle, "Clubbing Makeup Look"

Destiny Godley - As a WOC, until a few years ago it was hard to find makeup looks for darker women like myself. Destiny is creative and a brilliant MUA.
    Shes does drugstore and high end makeup tutorials, reviews and suggestions.

Purple Haze | Purple Smoky Eye Purple Lipstick I LOVE DRAMATIC EYE MAKEUP.
    Easy Rihanna Inspired Makeup Transformation I plan on trying this look this weekend.

Wayne Goss - Gossmakeupartist

HOW TO: HIGHLIGHT AND CONTOUR YOUR FACE!!!

DO NOT APPLY BLUSHER TO THE APPLES OF THE CHEEKS!!!!
    Tip: The brush he is using is the Nars Yachiyo Brush. It's a $50 brush. I bought a few months ago and I LOVE IT. It applies blush, bronzer, contour color fantastically. It gives the best soft finish of any brush I have ever used. And yes, I plan on using this brush FOREVER, so I take very good care of it.

Nikkie Tutorials - Adorable Blonde girl from The Netherland who is funny as heck and an amazing MUA.

2012 All-Time Favorites & Highlights

PixiWoo - The YouTube Gurus who are probably the biggest MUA on YouTube. Their looks are great, easy to do and very creative. Plus I really like Sam and Nic who are sisters I beleive. They are both so personable and seem to be lovely women inside and out.
    They have a blog, two YouTube Channels(Pixiwoo and Pixiwoo Madness) and they have are involved with a DailyMix Style Channel.

One of the best videos from , M.A.C LADY GAGA MAKE-UP TUTORIAL and Smokey Navy Blue Eye Makeup Tutorial

Some more of my favorite beauty gurus on YouTube are - ColouredBeautiful , Crystalis007, JulieG

Favorite Bloogers:

Crystalis007 , Temptalia, The NonBlonde, CafeMakeup, The Makeup and Beauty Blog The RaeViewer, TheBeautezine and of course my own blog , Getting-Pretty.com