Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ where can I get it? Thanks!

2. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Received my bottle of 100% PURE argan oil today. I'm tired of the build up caused by silicones from the usual moroccan/argan oil treatments (cough, organix & moroccanoil, cough). Let's see if there's a big difference. I'm trying to use more natural oils in my hair since I used a veggie dye. I've been reading up on alternative hair color boards and they have given me wonderful tips on keeping hair healthy. I used their tip of coating my hair and scalp with virgin coconut oil before bleaching and it worked wonders. I'm sold on coconut oil and olive oil treatments even though it strips a bit of color, my hair is in BETTER condition now compared to before I bleached it. They also highly recommend Joico K-Pak so I bought a tube of that.

3. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Here's my 2 cents worth on the BB cream and TM(Tinited Moisturizer). Both are forms of foundation just in different formulas, finishes and coverage. TM is sheer coverage. Some can be used to build up to a "light" coverage.

A Complexion Corrector is new type of foundation/makeup that is looking to "correct" skin tone issues(even skin tone) and improve skin texture. Giorgio Armani's Maestro Fusion Makeup falls into this "new" category. I think this makeup is a game changer. It's different than any other makeup on the market. The oil fusion makeup just melts into the skin, feels light, looks natural. The makeup dispenses with a medicine dropper. It is applied by using a "drop by drop" method onto the finger tips or directly onto the face. You massage/blend the makeup into the skin in sweeping, outward motions. It's one of my favorite makeups and I have total of 9 foundations:

2- Bobbi Brown Foundations(Extra Repair & Skin) light to medium coverage - Both have SPF- Dewy to Natural Finishes and botantial extracts for skin nurturing. The Extra Repair contains Evening primose oil which does the following:
    a) It can rejuvenate tired and aging skin
    b) It can make tired eyes look fresher by rubbing a little under and around your eyes
    c) It can be rubbed into your skin to remove redness and minor blemishes
    d) It can help dry skin to feel suppler and younger
    e) It can be massaged into dry skin to make it smoother and silkier
    f) It can be used to reduce and remove fine wrinkles
    g) It can be rubbed into your skin to help you feel rejuvenated and younger.

2- Nars Foundations(Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer & Sheer Glow) light to medium coverage - Dewy finishes
    2 -Giorgio Armani(Luminous Silk and Maestro Fusion) light to medium coverage - Satin/Dewy to Natural
    1 - Makeup Forever Foundation(Face & Body) sheer to light coverage - natural to dewy
    1 - Fashion Fair (Compact Cream) offers light to medium coverage - satin finish
    1 - Iman(Second to none stick foundation) light to medium coverage - satin finish
    1- YSL Foundation(Le Teint Touche Eclat) light to medium coverage - dewy finish

Luckily I don't need full coverage foundation because I don't really like the finishes which are mostly matte. I like dewy, satin or natural finishes. Also, I have slightly dry to normal skin, mostly dry though. Most of my foundations are for dry or normal skin. I very rarely use oil free products with the exception of Nars Pure Radiance TM, in which I HAVE to use a primer and moisturizer underneath or my skin starts to feel a little dry or tight after 6 hours.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Darn, wanted to rep you for this info. Next time and thanks!

I only have one foundation and that's Bobbi Brown Moisture rich. I apply it with a damp sponge (but not that weird beauty thing, just regular drug store one) when I am in a wedding or a big event where I expect to be photographed. Otherwise it's just TM or these days, BB.

Let us know how you like it! WRT silicone-based hair products--I find that shampooing twice and scrubbing gets rid of the build up.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the armani foundation sort of disappears into the skin, i cant really explain it. i wanted to buy some but most of the colors were sold out. i dont like committing to a color unless i can try it in person. it might cost more than the average foundation but i think you would have the bottle for a very long time and so the cost would round out.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

True, mlp. Those things last. I don't even want to remember how old my bottle of the Bobbi Brown foundation is. But it's still good, not separated and goes on well, last I checked.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can find discounted dryers and flat irons at places like TJMaxx or Marshall's. That's where I got my Chi.

8. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Iman Cosmetics released the first ever BB Creme for women of color.:kickass:

It cost $20 for 1 oz and availabe at drugstore.com, walmart.com, ulta.com other Iman Cosmetic retailers.

I ordered it!!!!

http://getting-pretty.com/, My Beauty Blog.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's great, topaz. Let us know how you like it. Didn't know you had a beauty blog, cool!

10. my little pony

IA - i meant the maestro fusion makeup that topaz mentioned

11. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

100% PURE isn't 100% pure argan oil either, but at least there's no silicones in it. ;) I liked it okay for my face (I have Scandinavian hair, and using oil on it usually makes it too greasy looking), although I switched back to jojoba oil once I used up my bottle.

12. myhoneyhoney

oops, forgot to post a link, the argan oil I ordered. It's listed as 100% pure so I'm hoping it is! So I put some on my hair yesterday. The first coat left it feeling very soft and shiny so I got happy and put on another coat, that left it feeling and looking a bit greasy. Now it's morning and my hair has absorbed all of the oil and oh my goodness, it's amazingly silky, it's a silky as my 7 year old daughter's hair, maybe even softer!!! I can't stop touching it, lol. It feels so much better than how it felt with either the Organix or Moroccanoil. I feel stupid for paying $$ for the Moroccanoil now, but hey, I guess I had to try it, right?

I was really wanting to try this Bumble & Bumble oil but it has cones in it. Maybe I can recreate it somewhat by combining only the oils.

13. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Really??

I'm almost ordering a bottle of moroccan oil from ebay (it's just too outrageously expensive to buy here) and I keep hearing wonders about it.
    My hair is currently blonde, which means is basically drinking the local concotions of argan oil along with alfaparf's Semi di Lino Cristal mask, and it's fine now, but I really want to go for the stronger stuff...

Tell us how it goes with it :)

14. myhoneyhoney

Beepbeep, the oil is wonderful! I wrote about the results right above your post.

I currently have Joico K-Pak Reconstructor on my hair. I wanna see what all the hype is with this product! BTW my pink hair in natural light inside the car and indoors under the gym bathroom lights. I don't know if I can ever go back to "normal" colors again, this color is so much fun!

beepbeep and (deleted member) like this.
  15. my little pony

i really love the hair color on you, mhh. keep trying weird colors.i know one girl who keeps rotating from magenta to blue and she looks really great in both. i'd be sad if she ever went to back to blonde or brown.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

To be honest, mhh, I cringed at the idea of hot pink hair...but having seen your pictures, I love it. You certainly have the look to pull it off--I am reminded of an anime princess.

17. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Really cute hot pink hair, mhh. One of my former coworkers used to do a pink ombre look that always got attention. It was hot pink at the top, and as it descended to her ends it became a rich dark red/pink. I was always amazed that she did all the upkeep herself.

18. my little pony

i couldnt carry it off but a few people seem to look really great that way

19. myhoneyhoney

Thank you, all, I'm really enjoying it. Honestly, I was a bit afraid so I made sure to have 2 boxes of black hair dye just in case, lol. I did hot pink highlights for a month before I dove into completely pink. The pink dye is a semi permanent veggie so it is fading with every wash. I plan on keeping it pink for a few months at least, I would love to keep it pink all spring and summer then maybe turn to a darker pink, maybe burgundy or deep purple magenta for fall and winter. I wish I can do blue but I would have to bleach my hair to almost white and that's just too damaging.

I did do the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor last night and like it. I'm not sure how much stronger my hair is because of it but it did make it feel a bit healthier at the very least. I know some say they have to repeat the treatment at least 2-3 times to really feel the benefit of the K-Pak so I'll wait and do another treatment in a week or two. It makes my hair smell like bananas!

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed. I saw a girl at AC Moore today who had awesome teal blue/green hair.

21. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

There was a woman outside my building with deep purple hair. She looked fabulous, I almost expired from envy.

So I trundled off to Saks yesterday, where I never go, but it's the only store with a Lancome GWP in January and I need little bottles of stuff to travel with. Instead of Visionaire and Gentrifique samples, I got the new Absolue stuff in the gold packaging. Frankly I doubt it does anything incredibly different from the other gunk, but I needed the full-size Visionaire anyway so why not buy it when I can get a freebie. Also, the eye shadow palette I got was :swoon:

22. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

There is a new store called Sigma at our mall, and all they sell is eyeshadow and some really great and affordable makeup brushes. I got 5 new brushes for a little over $40. And they are nice and soft. And their eyeshadows look like tons of fun but I have so many eyeshadows right now it's ridiculous.

23. beepbeep

Is it the same as this Sigma?

Their brush kits are great! I think their cost/benefit is even better than Coastal Scents' brushes.

24. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

^^ The very same! I think the store here is their first physical location. And the kits are such a good value, and the eyeshadows are too. I only did 5 because I have so many brushes already.

Ergh. "I only did 5." I am such a junkie.

25. beepbeep

:lol:

26. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Spring is upon us and many of the high end brands are releasing their Spring 2013 collections.

Here are a few them.

Bobbi Brown has her Pink and Red Collection which includes some new products like Retouching Powders and Long Wear Shadow Sticks. I will be purchasing a few shadow sticks, retouching powders and the lipsticks in the red/pink collection. Bobbi's creamy matte lipsticks are INCREDIBLE. They are lightweight, very pigmented. I'm normally not a fan of matte lipsticks(most are too drying) but I love this matte lipstick. I own one in the color "crushed plum" and I want to order the valencia orange lip color. BB lip color is one of the best lipsticks on the market. The shadow sticks look to be similar to Laura Mercier's caviar sticks.

Nars:
    Spring 2013 Collection
    The iconic model Stella Tenant looks fabulous.

This collection is going to break me :) I want 5 or 6 pieces from this collection. The reviews of the products have been really good; which does not matter to me. I've learned that some product reviews can be negative but negative because of the misuse of the product not necessarily the product itself. I've ready bad reviews of a product that work fine on me.

mac
    http://www.maccosmetics.com/index.tmpl Archie's Girl Collection Year of the Snake

Another "side" collection is Pro Wear Paint Pot Collection

I plan on getting a few items from the Year of the Snake and the Paint Pot Collection. I'm not so sure about the Archie's collection. The reviews have been good.

Estee Lauder's Pretty Naughty Collection

Chanel's Spring 2013 Collection

Laura Mercier's Arabesque Collection

Lancome In Love Emma looks gorgeous.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thank you! The Chanel collection looks the best to me. I could wear most of these. OTOH, the Laura Mercier Arabesque looks like a collection for a blonde/winter type of woman. I could never wear it. And I respectfully disagree, even the young, hip Emma Watson can't pull of that shade of teal eyeliner. May be as an editorial, but IRL, no.

Must. Not. Buy. Any Chanel stuff. Must not. This quad in 34 Eclosion is SO up my alley.. Must. Resist.

Also, Chanel nail polishes are crap, chip in a few days for that money. Not that I paid it, it was a gift but they are a surprisingly poor product. China Glaze is the most long lasting brand of all I've tried.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  28. myhoneyhoney

Spring colors popping up all over! Mint and pink (of course, lol) ahhhhh... Thanks for all the spring links, Topaz, now I'm trying to decide what to get and planning how much $$ I need to save up to buy them. :lol: BTW, great beauty blog!

29. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Ooops, my bad. :eek: I thought you meant the brand 100% Pure. I had a bottle of their argan oil, which turned out to contain olive squalane and some other oil as well.
    Love the hair btw! :)

30. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

LOL about Emma comment. Teal is actually a great color to wear for brown and blue eye; it makes the eye color pop.

Also, I have the Chanel quad in Eclosion. It was the shadow quad for spring 2013 and it is beautiful and so wearable on EVERY SINGLE SKIN TONE. I'll swatch it and show you how great it looks on the skin.

My serious WANT/DESIRE is to get my hands on some the Tom Ford quad shadow palettes: Cognac Sable Palette Cognac Sable Palette pic 2 Burnished Amber Quad. I am going to work some overtime at work so I can buy both these palettes. The reviews have been fabulous on Tom Ford's products too.

I've never bought a high end brand nail polish; I feel paying $18 for nail polish is just too much for me. I buy OPI, Essie and China Glaze. I completely agree about China Glaze. Have you tried " seche vite" top coats? The best ever.