Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh yes, I'd emailed that one to my husband asking if he is man enough.

I am :mad: I've been happily using Tarte Smooth Operator tinted moisturizer in Agent 04 which disappeared flawlessly on my skin. Just enough coverage, plus SPF plus some moisturizing action. Great. Have been running low and so re-ordered from Sephora.

Some new repackaged thing called BB cream arrived, in Agent 04 but considerably lighter in color which no longer matches my skin. Ugh. And they had just repackaged it over the summer. Now I have to drag my eagle-eyed SIL to Sephora with me. She matches product to my skin tone like no make up artist can and she is the one who found Smooth Operator 4 for me.
  3. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

I will not accept a worst fashions list that doesn't include those awful, awful high heel sneakers and mullet skirts/dresses.

But this list is just :yikes:
  4. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

If you don't mind mineral foundation, there are a bunch of smaller indie companies who make a very full range of colours. My current foundations are from Meow Cosmetics, where I could actually find a good match for my weird Caspar pale, yet more warm than cool toned skin. Their eye shadows and blushes are also very good. :) Their site looks like a scary throwback from the late 1990ies, but don't let that deter you!
  5. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I looked at the Benefit foundation too, and all of the colors are way too yellow for me, especially the very pale ones. I think I will stick with my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, but I need to switch to the oil-free formula. Why has my skin gone from combination to oily at 45?
  6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

From my post earlier in this thread:

I finally tried this, and it is FAB -- it's the Renergie lifting moisturizer that is not just a tint, but is in fact more like a foundation -- basically two steps in one. After applying my usual "under moisturizer" stuff, I used this instead of applying my daytime moisturizer and then foundation (the one I normally use is a powder foundation), and then applied a bit of translucent powder with a brush to set it.

I found that it works a lot better in that it had great staying power -- it took a lot longer for any of my usual shine to appear, and it never felt like my makeup was sliding off of my face (which is what it always seems like it's doing whenever I use moisturizer and foundation).

The only drawback is that it only comes in three shades. I'm somewhere between a 1 and a 2 (and I'm definitely pale-skinned).

I definitely recomment it -- not only because it works, but also because you don't have to buy two products to achieve the same results/effects.

I also discovered a great new product by Modèle (I've been using their Collagen Lip Treatment for about three years now) - it's an spot anti-aging mask/peel (spot meaning that it's applied only to areas that need it rather than the entire face). I received two samples of it that came with the collagen lip treatment I ordered from them last month (which is one seriously kickass product - over time, it gradually fills in and slowly adds fullness to the lips without it looking weird, fake, or like you've applied a plumper).

What sucks is that for some reason, Modèle decided to stop distribution/sales here in the US :fragile: , so I now have to order it from their website (in Canada). The lip treatment is $30.00 USD, and I took a look on ebay to see what it was going for on that site, and the few seller that had it were higher than that price (!!) and people were in bidding wars for it.
  7. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Oh, if you're interested in trying indie mineral foundation, here is a Canadian company based in BC: Affera Cosmetics.

They are having a one day sale on Tuesday, January 1, 2013 - 70% off.

They also offer a 5 for $5 sampler (you can pick five samples, includes shipping.) If you read all the foundation descriptions, you might be able to narrow it down to 2 or 3 and then use the other 2 or 3 for eyeshadows.

If you have small plastic or glass jars at home, those will be handy, as the samples just come in a small ziploc bag as pictured. And mineral foundation calls for a kabuki brush (although a big blush brush might suffice if you're not invested in the whole mineral system yet?)

I haven't even used up my samples yet, that reminds me.
  8. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I have bleach all over my hair right now. I'm going Atomic Pink by Special Effects. I bleached and pinked it in November and adore it so now I'm taking it completely pink. I stay home with the kids and my only other daily commitments are working out at the gym and helping out at their schools so this is the right time. Wheee! BTW, I have some box black hair dye in case it's a disaster, :lol:
  9. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I got some WEN the day before yesterday. I, too, am a scrubber. But is there any particular point that scrubbing is super-duper important? Like when rinsing before using, after rinsing it out, etc.? I'm used to scrubbing with the product in and then rinsing....

I like the results so far, my curls are not frizzy like normal, but I don't want my hair to fall out. I read on the QVC forum where someone uses a clarifying shampoo once a week or so to make sure to get the scalp nice and clean. Do you do that?
  10. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I don't. I scrub when I put in the product, then I comb it through with a wide-tooth comb and pile it on my head while I was my face and body, then stick my head back under briefly, and then scrub for a minute or so. (good arm workout as well ;) )

And I've been doing this for almost 14 months now with no problems. :)
  11. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I've also heard of issues with Wen users experiencing hair loss after several months of usage, but I've been using the DevaCurl No Poo for over 8 months now and I have the same amount of hair shedding that I did when I was using sulfate shampoos.
    And scrubbing is important because that action is key to picking up all the excess dirt, oil, and product build up on the scalp. I actually went as Ursula for Halloween and used a bunch of silver and white hairspray on my head, and I was able to get all of it off the next day with my NoPoo and lots of scrubbing.
    And I'm sure this question has been asked before, but does anyone have a favorite dark spot correcting product? I recently had a huge zit on my cheek and it has left a scar. I've tried some products but I was curious to see if anyone had any recommendations.
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I was introduced to this hair product this week. I love it! My keratin treatment has been wearing out and the hair was getting into its old funk--frizzy and dry but I was hesitant to book another treatment--expensive but also, my hair was kinda dull after the last few treatments. Plus I am starting to miss my natural wave.

This product solves the dullness, dryness and frizziness problem beautifully. And at this price, which isn't cheap, it's still a better deal than keratin at a salon. Two pumps every 2 days after washing/conditioning is all I need. Check it out, oh frizzy ones! Silky, smooth and shiny hair we all want. I could do with a little less scent or a more subtle and natural one but oh well, still a really good product.
  13. PrincessLeppard

The reason that users of Wen (and other sulfate free products) lose their hair is because they don't scrub enough.
  14. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Can you explain the purpose of scrubbing the scalp? I have always done it but I thought everyone did. I use Giovanni products (the Direct Leave In conditioner is the best detangler ever and I hVd course curly hair!) and DevaCurl No-Poo about once every 6 weeks.
  15. PrincessLeppard

The sulfates (as I understand it) are what lift the dirt and oil and stuff off your scalp, so if you are using a shampoo that doesn't have sulfates, you need to make sure you are scrubbing the scalp to remove that stuff. Otherwise, the pores get clogged and bad stuff starts to happen.
  16. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Cool! :) Atomic Pink is the pink that *really* refuses to budge, so I hope you enjoyed the result! :lol: I'm currently going back to Hot Lava by Special Effects, since the repeat henna-ing is making my hair way too dark. There's nothing wrong with cherry coke coloured hair, but it doesn't really work with my complexion. I'm putting the sfx over the top of my natural hair + the henna, so it won't go overly bright though.
  17. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I dyed my dark blond hair a dark brown and now I'm in serious need of a product to darken my eyebrows to match. I don't want to tint them, I'd rather use a pencil or powder or something. Any suggestions?
  18. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Benefit makes a great brow pencil, as well as a brow gel. Both are available in generic "blonde" and "brown." I use the brown in both (I love them!) and they're very lightly pigmented. It might be similar to what you're looking for.
  19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

So now that Tarte has been naughty again and repackaged their TM, I ventured out into the world of BB cream. As mentioned previously, I got cornered by a Nordstrom Bobbi Brown lady who put their BB cream on me in Medium. I liked it--it's thicker, creamier than the TM, melts into my skin well. I got a Sephora gift card for the holidays (my peeps know me well!) and used it to get it online. I like that it's SPF 35 vs. Tarte that only had 20.

What is your favorite BB cream, glamour pusses?
  20. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Well, I'm annoyed that just when I'm leaving on a long trip and need small-size Lancome thingys, their only GWP is at Saks and requires spending $80. Oh well, I need more Visionnaire anyway and I think I'll invest in a mascara. They still make the best mascaras out there as far as I'm concerned but I usually don't spend the money.
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

What is so good about their mascaras, I'd like to know? No offense to Cyn, but I don't get the hype about Lancome mascaras. My favorite mascara has been discontinued (of course!) so I am back to same ole Clinique High Impact. I loved (was it Tarte mascara?) with little hairs that stuck to your lashes and made them crazy big but oh well. Will check out the Lights Camera Action one.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    beepbeep and (deleted member) like this.
  22. PrincessLeppard

Clinique, but I am open to trying others. I can't wear it alone; I have to put powder over it, or I'm shiny. :)
  23. beepbeep

Speaking of Visionnaire, how am I supposed to use it?
    My new bottle of Génifique came with a free sample of it (along with Génifique moisturizer and eye cream :cheer2:)
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

My friend the cosmetic dermatologist has been giving me samples of the SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum. This stuff smells pretty bad, like BO at best but it heals any blemishes fast, overnight although it is not advertised to do so. I haven't used it regularly to see the full supposed re-juvinating effect but am curious. It's super pricey as you can see.
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I reached for Clinique but the Nordstrom lady steered me away from it for some reason.
  26. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I don't have a BB cream IceAlisa as I have a deep skin tone and basically there are no companies that make BB creams in my shade. However, this is changing soon. Iman Cosmetics is coming out with a BB cream for those of us who are of tan, dark and deep complexion. I think Iman may have hit upon a gold mine because it comes in six or seven shades for WOC. In my opinion Iman is the BEST drugstore brand for makeup. Her "Sand" category is for those of medium to tan skin tones(asian and latin), "Clay" is for tan/dark complexions(mediterranean, latin, South American, Indian, Central Asian, Bi or Multi-racial) and "Earth" is for women with dark to deep skin tones(African, African American, Carribean, South American, West Indies).

Recent Makeup Purchases -
    Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lip Color, YSL Chrono quad palette in Arctic Nights, MAC Lipstick, Makeup Forever Aqua Creams and MAC Paint Pots.

Bobbi Brown has two fantastic collections so far this month:' Bright Collection and Red/Pink Collection and Shadow Sticks.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  27. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I use the Visionanaire at night after cleansing and before moisturizer. I think it really did/does make a difference. But the price of that and the Genifique is so high, I substituted the Olay Regenerist serum in the morning for the Genifique, and I see no difference. (At a third of the price.)
    beepbeep and (deleted member) like this.
  28. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

29. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I tested a bunch. High end, medium end, low end and the winner was Maybelline.

Shade #2 matches my skin perfectly, it has SPF of 20 and it only costs 9 bucks. How can you beat that? lol!
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am glad it works for you! Will take a look. :)
  31. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I love the maybelline bb cream. I'm on my third container already. Finally a makeup I can wear every day that doesn't do my skin damage. It's not super thick but I find it's too easy to get that heavy mask look if I'm in a hurry in the morning, which I usually am.
  32. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like the olay cc cream better than any bb cream i've tried. dont ask me how they are different, i have no idea.
  33. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Ugh, I am just starting to get a handle on BB creams and now we are on to CC. What is CC cream?
  34. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i said dont ask me but the cc stands for color correcting. i'd describe it as a tinted moisturizer w some nice skin care properties.
  35. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

36. beepbeep

Thanks, I did notice that my pores and fine lines (I'm 32 and stay out of the sun, so luckily I don't have much going on on my face) get better immediately with Visionnaire, but I don't have enough for a long term treatment.
    So I'll stick with Génifique for now. Not that I'm complaining, my skin gets SO much better with it after using it for 30 days straight.
  37. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

38. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Ohhhh, I'd like to try that. I have the Origins BB cream and has a really nice feel to it, but it does look a little orange on me. And I have the lightest shade.
  39. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

ok, my latest ionic ceramic blow dryer (cheap Revlon from Walgreen's) blew a fuse in my house last night. Hubby is furious and so I'm ready to spend some $ on a decent hair dryer that will get the job done fast and smooth. We have an Ulta here in town but not much more than Sally's or Mally's beauty supply. My last hair dryer also did some electronic damage to another bathroom and he would rather I not burn the house down on the way to smooth hair. Suggestions?
  40. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

If you don't mind spending $$, I love my T3 (got it secondhand). They go for about $175-200.