Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Geez, you ladies make me feel so unglamorous with my regular Essie's and good old stand by OPI Bubble Bath. :lol:

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Please please please soak your hands in sunscreen if you use gel manicures (or wear gloves with the fingers cut off after they do all the massaging! A lot is coming out that the uv really can be damaging.

I really want a great pedicure right now, mostly because I need the calf massage, but alas no money because I'm saving for a trip to the Galapagos. I plan to get a bright blue pedi before I go.

My favorite polish is opi, but I actually like Sally hansan hard as nails. Had horrible luck with julep.

3. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Actually that is what this was, shellac. (Not sure what the difference is with gel.) It did indeed stay put and didn't chip, which is what usually happens to a regular manicure in about three hours, I'll say that for it.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's the whole idea of gel/shellac--staying power. I am able to obtain a week or so of chip-free wear with Seche Vite on top of my polish. Going to wear bright coral red polish next, I think.

Shall we call it Fox News nails?

5. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Fine by me. :p

This seche vite stuff was in the InStyle I was reading at the salon yesterday as a great product. If you layer it over a regular manicure, does it cause as much damage as the gel/shellac manicures?

6. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

No seche vite comes right off with normal nail polish remover.

7. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I'm not sure which perfumes are considered suitable for summer, since I live in perpetual summer, but I love the Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely, Estee Lauder Sensuous, and Jessica Simpson Vintage Bloom these days. The SJP can be found and had for $19.99, and the JS for $12.99 at discount retailers. The Estee isn't easy to find at discount stores, so you have to pay like $55.00 at Sephora and department stores. All three are pretty long lasting and get compliments.

8. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I had shellac nails for my wedding and my manicurist mentioned gel/shellac is bad for not letting nails "breathe". I get them for special events but leave it at that. Scratching/lifting a corner of the gel plus soaking remove it was more work than it was worth.

Drug store brands seem to be coming out with lots of new, long-lasting options, so that's promising.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Been using it for about a year, Seche Vite, that is and my nails are fine. It doesn't really make contact with your nails, goes on top of base, a few coats of nail polish and top coat. Comes off easily.

The nails of my friends who've been using gel for that long are not fine. That is you can do it occasionally but in long term users there is nail bed damage.

I am going to do my Fox News nails tomorrow. :)

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I've been using Seche Vite forever (since the 90's :slinkaway ) and echo this. It's just a top coat.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So avant-garde! I just found out last year--it's da bomb.

I would say light, fresh scents as opposed to heavy, rich, warm and spicy scents with significant sillage, that are best worn in colder weather.

Light scents could be green or citrus or light floral with some fruit or a combination of these. However, floral/fruity can be quite heavy as well.

An example of a summer scent for me is Jo Malone Nectarine Blossoms and Honey, anything by Fresh

A winter scent is Jo Malone Velvet Rose and Oud, IMO.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

One more thing--PRLady, regular nail polish does not damage nails IME. I have nail polish on my nails most of the year. Healthy, strong, shiny nails, the few hours that I see them. My mom always had healthy nails and always got mani/pedi on a regular basis. It was the gel that did her nails in. Same with my cousin.

It's a Russian cultural thing to groom so damn much. My mom just remarked that my hair isn't as shiny as it normally is--I am delaying getting a keratin treatment since I will be at the beach for a few weeks and seawater strips that keratin in minutes. Don't worry mom, the hair will shine as soon as I get back. :p

13. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Seche Vite is a cult product in the beauty community ;)

I dont use it because it is not sold in Europe (as far as I know) but I gt to use professional products form German, company called LCN and their stuff is amazing. By far the bets nail polishes and caring products. And the prices are very normal. They cost less than OPI, for the reference one OPI nail polish is around 17$.
    And these are my nails today :)

beepbeep and (deleted member) like this.
  14. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Fab color.
    Your nails are :glamor:

15. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Where does one get Seche Vite?

I have been trying to source the Kryolan anti-shine powder kosjenka referenced awhile ago, and damn, it is hard to find. I don't want to buy from Amazon, which, alas, limits options. I did find some on eBay. I should just pull the trigger and get it.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Walgreens, CVS, etc....;)

17. kosjenka

Why didnt you ask ;)
    We are lucky enough to have Kryolan store but even I sometimes ordered it online because of various deals available. My go to place is makeupmania store. They have other great professional brands such as Graftobian, Mehron, RCMA, Ben Nye ( the famous yellow banana powder) and the prices are reasonable. They have weekly and monthly deals and codes in newsletters. At the moment they dont have the anti shine powder by Kryolan.
    If you live in US you can try official Kryolan US web shop. They deliver by FedEx, but I dont know how much the price of such shipping is.

18. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

I did not know that one.
    Looks like I'll be browsing there for a while :watch:.

19. myhoneyhoney

I buy it at Target or Sally Beauty Supply. Ulta has it too.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Love your nails! :cheer2:

21. kosjenka

New nail polish! Gave my friend 8 nail polishes from my stash and she gave me this guy and I am loving it.
    For once I am not stealing photos online but posting my own.

It is from german brand Essence, their permanent Show your feet collection and the name of the color is Mint&cream.

Mother says it is the color of her grandmother's spice cupboard. I dont think it is a compliment.

22. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

23. myhoneyhoney

24. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I found some seche vite at Winners today. I hope it means I can wear nail polish for longer than a couple of days.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Love everyone's nail polishes! My Dior Rouge is looking pretty good and it's going to be a week. I think I will try Wonderland next.

26. myhoneyhoney

IceAlisa, Wonderland is so pretty!

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thank you! It's very summery. If you go the Dior way, don't bother with their Gel Top Coat. Seche Vite rules.

28. kosjenka

Love those colors IceAlisa! The length of the nails on that second photo is just perfect!

29. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

That's where I got mine too. I just wish it didn't smell so strongly. Barf.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!