Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Anita, did you try a silicon based primer, like Smashbox Photo Finish?
    They don't dry out the skin and make it really smooth.
    (I have oily, sensitive skin that is prone to flaking around the nose and it works great on me)
  2. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'll keep those in mind, thanks. :) Alf will be hanging out with his best man this weekend and spending all his time skateboarding, so I'll have time to go shopping. :D

I have that, I don't use it often, but I have it.

How much do you use at once? It's so expensive that I only use like, the teeniest little dollop when I DO use it. Like, half a pump. :lol: Maybe I have to use more to see a real difference.
  3. beepbeep

I don't use a full pump either. It's fine for me...
  4. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

My oily skin defies all primers at this point...sigh. I've just given up and committed to blotting 2-3 times per day. :(
  5. Anita18

6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I decided to give this a try - it's AMAZING. The ivory shade is perfection on my skin. I love how lightweight this is and the coverage is fabulous. Thanks for the tip!
    PRlady and (deleted member) like this.
  7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Yesterday, I bought Urban Decay lip gloss? gel? goop? in Perversion. :saint: Love the color, but it is a mess to put on. Doesn't spread on evenly at all, so it takes a bit to get it all looking good. Which, you know, isn't supposed to happen with gloss. Or whatever it is.
  8. Anita18

So I dropped by a Sephora today and they outfitted me with the Bare Escentuals Ready foundation, which is their usual stuff in pressed powder form. The makeup guy was really good at choosing the right color for me, and also helped me choose a natural-looking blush color too so I could get to my $50 minimum for the $15 gift card. :p

He also recommended doing my eyes simply because I plan to wear my (extremely strong prescription) glasses to the wedding and I never know what to do with my eye makeup. :lol: Eyeliner is impossible because one eyelid folds under more than the other. :drama: I tried doing liquid eyeliner this weekend and it was like, W.T.F. No idea how to make it look even! :lol:
  9. KCC

KCC Active Member

Thanks for the tips on the Oxygen Wow foundation! I bought some yesterday, tried it this morning and so far, I am very happy with it. I get easily overwhelmed in Sephora, but knowing what to ask for helped with that.
  10. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

While we're talking about foundation... I am in desperate need of new foundation. Right now I'm using a Shiseido one which I like but the bottle sucks. I can't travel with it because it leaks. I have combination skin and it's really, really pale (I glow under black light) meaning that most drugstore brands don't come light enough. I like my foundation light and usually favour liquid foundations. Ideas?
  11. fan

fan Active Member

12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Do you have a friend or relative who is makeup savvy? If so, get that person to do your eyes for the wedding. My friend who had significant experience with liquid eyeliner from getting her daughter ready for dance performances did mine. Someone else can get it even. Plus, if you have a high prescription, I know from experience that it is hard to do eye makeup yourself and get it perfect.

(Side note--contacts, even if you need glasses over them, usually result in better correction and studies have shown they slow changes of the cornea. They are not just for vanity.)
  13. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

I picked up Maybelline MegaPlush mascara the other day. In my small town, it's slim pickings. Not a fan at all.

The gel type brush is impossible for me to use, it's moveable. The result is that my eyes look like I rolled out of bed and forgot to apply any type of masacra what so ever. Le sigh.
  14. beepbeep

The current state of my nails
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Anita18

Can anyone suggest a good hair texturizer? My mom helped with deciding how to wear my hair for the wedding, but even with braids, my hair wants to come out! "It's too sleek!" "Well, Mom, many people pay $500 for keratin treatment to get sleek hair..." The grass is always greener. :p
  16. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I'm as pale as Casper too. What I've noticed lately is that the BB creams come in very light shades. The lightest shade of the Smashbox BB cream is actually too light for me (almost unheard of) and also the Maybelline BB cream lightest shade is too light for me too. (Sadly, the second lighest shade of Smashbox BB cream is too DARK for me, so I can't wear that one at all.)

For foundation I wear currently is Makeup Forever HD in shade #115. Another tip is to look for European brands (ie. L'Oreal) as I find that they tend to come in lighter shades.

I got a $25 gift card for Sephora for Christmas. Can't wait to spend it.
  17. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

One of my Christmas presents from my mom is the Ciate mini-mani nail polish set from Sephora. There are 24 polishes and 4 colours of caviar pearls. :cheer:
    I'm still sick so I'm staying home today.... it will be a perfect chance to try out a few new colours!
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am not in possession of a foundation at the moment but need to make a trip to Sephora to pick up mascara but you all got me intrigued about that Oxygen thing. I wonder what shade matches me. I am sort of olive-complexioned with plenty of yellow so all the pink-faced reviewers who complained about the yellow are actually giving me good news.
  19. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

As you know, I'm as yellow as you are. Golden, I like to say. Start with the honey shade which is a tad too light for me, I found out by looking at photos, but is very close.
  20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thanks! I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with the same shade. :)
  21. PRlady

Me either. Ah, those determined Semitic genes.....

;)
  22. PrincessLeppard

The best texturizer in the world has been discontinued, and I don't care if it's your wedding or not, I'm not sending you any of my sekret stash. :p

I would talk to the people at Sephora; I've heard the Bumble & Bumble texturizer is really good, and when the aforementioned stash runs out, I am planning to try it. :)
  23. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

The only good thing that came out of my hair dye experience at Ulta was the discovery of Carol's Daughter products. I think it's for African Americans, and it is bar none the BEST shampoo and conditioner I've ever used. Costly as hell--about $25/bottle--but worth every single penny.

Any of you with any Jewish heritage that comes out in your hair, BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Being a natural blonde is so expensive. :drama:
  24. Anita18

:lol: Fair enough. Although they still might sell it on ebay, so maybe a name? :)

Speaking of hair washing regimens, I'm on the other end of the financial spectrum. I'm not sure if I need to turn in my glamour puss card, but for the past few weeks I've been washing my hair with...baking soda. Yup, I've gone "no poo." I got tired of having to depend on prescription anti-fungal shampoos to make my hair look even remotely nice and figured, I have 4 months until the wedding, let's give this a go. The first time I tried this earlier this year, it didn't work well, but this time I boiled our very hard water before adding the baking soda. I'm not sure how that works, but it seemed to have done the trick! One tablespoon per cup. Wait until it's cooled down to add it. I learned the hard way. :eek:

Pour/squirt/spray the mixture onto your scalp only, then massage it in really well. It actually feels pretty nice when you do this, very smooth, although obviously there is no sudsing. My skin/hair is pretty oily so I can let it sit in my scalp while I soap up the rest of my body, but some people wash it out right away so it isn't too drying. For "conditioner," apple cider vinegar mixed with water at approximately same dilution is used the same way. Yes, you'll smell like a salad while your hair is wet, but the smell does go away when it dries. It doesn't exactly make your hair more "manageable" (ie, easier to comb) but I use a bit of jojoba or coconut oil, or even some regular conditioner on my ends and that works fine. Air dry if you can, although blow drying has been going okay for me the past week.

I've read that many people have an initial oily period on the "no poo" regimen, where their hair freaks out a bit and turns into an oil slick before settling into a nice balance. Anywhere starting week 1 to week 2, and lasting for about a month. I've finished my first month and my hair has been so much nicer than it was before from day 1, so maybe I got lucky. :) Supposedly, going "no poo" is best for people with naturally curly hair, but I have straight hair and it seems to be working well for me too. My hair still gets oily after 3 days of not washing, but it doesn't look and feel nearly as greasy. Plus NO FRIZZ. I mean, sure, I have Asian hair so I'm not supposed to frizz, but normal sudsy shampoos and of course blow drying will visibly dry out even my hair the day of a wash.

If you like your shampoo to smell flowery, you can always add a drop of essential oil to the baking soda solution, but I don't miss it too much, and Alf really hates perfumes so he hasn't been complaining either. :lol:
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  25. PrincessLeppard

Pretty sure I bought it all :p. but you can look. Pantene Spray Wax. :) Bed Head had a great one, too called something like Beach Waves, but that's discontinued as well. :mad:

I use Wen cleansing Conditioner, which is not a shampoo. The trick is to scrub, scrub, scrub.. A lot of people don't and that's probably why they have the oily problem.
  26. Anita18

Hmm, looks like Amazon still sells it, but I bet it's at least twice the price it used to be. :p

I did think about buying Wen too, but baking soda is a lot cheaper. :lol:
  27. PrincessLeppard

Yes. It used to be about six bucks. :p
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yeah, well. My Semitic genes lost the battle with my husband's Semitic genes. He looks like a European white boy but I thought my son would take after me, (falsely) assuming that darker skin tone wins out. Nope, pale as a vampire on a diet. :( I think it's a lot safer to have darker skin tone in terms of sunburn and skin cancer.
  29. PRlady

Oh, you have no idea. The friend I was just visiting in Arizona had me walking 2 miles with her at 6 AM with her dog. Now, we're both early risers but that's a tad early especially this time of year. By 8:00 AM in December in Arizona she has to be out of direct sunlight; she's a natural redhead who's already had a minor bout with skin cancer. She re-appears outside with a hat, 100 SPF and so on late in the afternoon.

Never have I felt so lucky to be light-olive-skinned. And by the standards of my family I'm Nordic.
  30. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

If I remember correctly, PrincessLeppard, you love Wen. I have thought about trying it but am not sure since I love infomercials and am a daily shower and wash my hair kind of gal. I feel my hair and self is so icky and oily otherwise. Is Wen easier on your hair? I have coloured/highlighted blonde hair with a natural wave that I can either straighten or add some product and have a nice wave going on. I use pureology at the moment. But of course my supply is getting low.

My natural redhead niece has beautiful skin and doesn't burn in the sun (of course still use sunscreen). Her brown haired sister on the other hand... Sunscreen that one very often.
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yup, some people weren't meant to live in California, Arizona, etc. She should move to Seattle.
  32. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I still have to try Wen... how different is it from co-washing?
  33. PrincessLeppard

I have no idea what co-washing is. But I have very fine, very oily bleached blonde hair (occasionally with pink or purple highlights), and I use Wen almost every day. If I do skip a day, it's tolerable (I use a dry shampoo on those days). At the moment, my hair is ridiculously long ( for me) because Wen prevents it from breaking like it used to. I've used Wen for two years now, and for me, it is totally worth the price. And scrubbing. :)
  34. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

oh, oops, sorry, got stuck in the "pink hair" board lingo, lol. Co-washing is washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. I started co-washing every other day a while ago and using regular color friendly shampoo just once a week for a deep cleaning. I don't use anything on my hair except for maybe some coconut oil or sweet almond oil for defrizzing so I'm able to get away with it. Now that I have pink highlights I'm really interested in keeping it in tip top condition, specially since I'm considering going completely pink soon. I really should just buy some Wen to try it out, huh?
  35. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I borrowed my son's shampoo and conditioner today (Burt's Bees Baby Bee shampoo and California Baby Swimmer's Defense Conditioner)--my hair is ecstatically happy. Isn't it true that you should rotate shampoo/conditioners so that you get rid of the residue (or some other reason?)

Also, a very enthusiastic Nordstrom sales woman (girl, really) gave me a sample of Bobbi Brown BB cream. Is BB cream really better than tinted moisturizer? My Tarte tinted moisturizer has moisture, tint and SPF. What else is there?---Oh that's right, the CC creams! :eek:
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  36. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I was on the verge of ordering the Benefit Oxygen foundation, but I couldn't do it...I'm too cheap. I'm trying out the Boi-ing concealer instead. I hope it's good! :)

I think I've given up on high end mascara...I'm always disappointed.
  37. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Boi-ing is awesome according to a few friends of mine. (I'm not concealer savvy)

I'm with you on high-end mascara. I'm happy enough with Maybelline lately. If Too Faced sold the lash fibers separately from its mascara set, I'd buy it, though! Essie's cheapie version is okay, but not great.
  38. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

So my hairdresser of over fifteen years semi-retired to the Sandhills this summer. Like six hours away. I have someone new cutting my hair, and it looks good. But my previous guy had somehow magically tamed the tangles in my very fine hair. Never a problem for years with him. Not anymore. Dug out a knot so bad today I thought I was going to have to just cut out a chunk of hair.

Any ideas why this would change????
  39. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I still need to try Wen, but after getting my hair cut at a DevaCurl salon and using their products, I have found my holy grail of hair products. My hair looks and feels awesome, and I love their "no poo" cleanser. The cut I got has been the best ever too--the previous stylist was thinning my hair in the back and it completely wrecked the natural curl, but it's coming back.
    One of my coworkers has had good luck with the Living Proof line of products, but they are also pretty pricey. Her hair is in serious need of damage repair though and she's willing to do whatever it takes.

And I tried the Benefit Oxygen foundation and did not like it, but I've never had good luck with any of their products. They always make my face feel like an oil slick.

After getting some $$ for Xmas I splurged and got the AmorePacific hydragel moisturizer. Ugh if I get addicted to this it will be bad. It's $100. :scream:
  40. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!