Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Anita, you might try scrunch spray. You can get it at the larger grocery stores (read not beauty supply). My daughter has pretty straight hair (not asian though). She likes that Aussie brand but I've seen lots that have extra hold. Wet hair plus diffuser or just "joosing" seems to give her lots of curl. Easier than the cone shaped curling iron ( have one of those, too).

2. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I did see that. :lol: I don't think that'll EVER happen to me, unless I fall asleep with my hair curled around it! :lol: One of my experiments involved a ceramic curling wand, and I left it there longer than she did...and it still didn't take a curl. :shuffle: I must have the thickest hair strands known to man.

3. Anita18

Hmm I'm not aiming for beachy waves, but big loose curls on the lower half of my hair. Kinda like the way the Kween had her hair for her wedding day, although I think my hair will be longer. :) That's why I'm not just braiding it and sleeping in it.

I also had to Google "joosing" and....I'm pretty sure you don't mean that. :lol:

4. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

As I was watching the video I warily looked over at my desk, which currently has a pile of makeup and skincare products scattered everywhere. I need help.
    What she said about the moisturizer in jars make sense though. I always feel like my creams lose their effectiveness after a certain point if they're in a jar.

5. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Have you tried hot rollers, Anita? They'll work better than a curling iron.

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

why dont you take the kween's pic to a salon and ask them to recreate it?

7. Anita18

As if I haven't bought enough hair doohickeys! :lol: Are there any good brands/models I should check out?

I'm actually doing my own hair the morning of. Because of that reason, I think the hot rollers would be less stressful - I'd set them in and then do other things, instead of having to wait during the curling process.

My coworker did suggest asking the salon about it when I got my hair cut.

8. my little pony

i meant ahead of time. you could go to a salon ahead of time and see how they do it.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't worry about that. The creams I use are in dark glass, not see-through jars, I keep them in the medicine cabinet and go through them quickly. Another thing I don't necessarily agree with is eye cream. The skin around the eyes is different from the skin elsewhere, in that it's thinner and dryer. My eye cream is quite a bit richer than my face cream. I think if there is a big enough difference in the quality and needs of the skin, an eye cream is warranted. Agree with other things she said though.

10. Anita18

i take back my comment about me having the thickest hair strands known to man. I asked for hair curling advice on Offbeat Bride, and one woman reports that she actually leaves her hair in the curling iron for 4-5 minutes. :yikes: That's what it takes to get her hair to curl. She's practiced enough to know this is what'll work for her wedding day, so she's done this multiple times. :yikes: I don't think there's enough thermal protectants in the world that can prevent heat damage with that technique! Besides, going "no poo" and trying to avoid silicones in thermal protectant sprays is a fool's errand. I'd rather...not go that route....

I've been reading about Caruso steam rollers and they seem to be a viable option for people who don't want burn-level or dry heat at all. Does anyone have any experience with those?

I've tried the traditional foam roller route - my damp hair just DOES NOT dry with rollers in them being mashed in a pillow. Again, no curls. From Amazon reviews of the Caruso brand, it seems like you lightly steam the rollers so they just get infused with the steam. They don't actually make your hair wet, so this might actually work...

11. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

12. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

What with all the hair torture and Spanx involved, maybe you should call sick.

How about wearing a high ponytail with lots of hair wrapped at the top and flowers or whatever? Or some type of elaborate but not curly updo?

13. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I never have much success with eye creams. My skin around the eye area is so sensitive whenever I try to use one, it just stings and stings and I give up on it. So for that reason, I agree that eye creams are a waste of money for me. I once had a sales associate tell me that the stinging meant the product was working. :rofl: I was thinking 'Uh I don't really give a rat's ass what it's doing...it's burning the eyes out of my head. I'm not going to use it again!' :scream:

I read somewhere once that toner is a big waste of money too. I stopped using it immediately and never looked back. I don't miss it.

14. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I like my eye creme--it's more about brightening and de-puffing. My dark circles are way less noticeable when I use it.

15. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I swear I've heard one of the reasons for fancy eye creams is the skin around your eye is more delicate than the rest of your face. It certainly feels that way. :p That said, I currently have yet to find an eye cream that really knocked it out the park for me and my early-30s skin (plus a few years from my smoking days). I've used the odd roller that feels soothing and helps with depuffing a bit, but that's about it...

16. fan

fan Well-Known Member

name please!

17. my little pony

i love the 100% pure eyecream, it smells very good and due to that it is the only eye cream i have remembered to use nightly

18. Anita18

Hmm I tried the foam rollers again last night on my dry hair. Kind of worked, although they had trouble staying in even when I bent them into a donut shape with the ends overlapping. It was more like soft beachy waves, and the ones at the back of my head had pretty much fallen out when I woke up. :lol:

Even if they had stayed in, the beachy look isn't really what I'm going for. Also, apparently 6 hours isn't enough time, because I think these will straighten out in a few hours.

And updo is exactly what I want to avoid. I've never been able to put my hair in a high ponytail - it's just too heavy and slippery and starts falling down in 5 seconds. My ponytail has a diameter of more than an inch. Forget about an elaborate updo unless I pay a professional to do it! I also have an extremely square face, and I've always liked my hair down for that reason. I mean, I like my square face, but long hair softens the extremely boxy look.

19. Anita18

Never mind, 20 minutes after I last reported and the waves have already straightened out to only a kink at the ends. :rofl: I sprayed them just after I let them out too! Do I have to spray until my hair is stiff or something? Use up half a can of hairspray each time? (Alf will really appreciate the fumes - we don't have an exhaust!)

If I wanted this to work, I'd probably have to leave the rollers in for 3 days straight...

20. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You are going to need a lot of a really strong hairspray. There is one out there called "Glu" (or similar...it's in a yellow can) that is made to hold spikes, so it might work. But your hair is NOT going to move. At all.

21. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

If you use a super strong hairspray like that, and you're wearing a veil, be careful when you sit down. If you sit on it, you'll practically rip your scalp off! I've seen seen it happen. :yikes:

22. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

From what I've been reading, doing Anita18's uncooperative hair without pro help sounds like a nightmare unless you just want to let them be natural without the curl. If you really want a curl/wave that looks nice, keeps its shape, is touchable, not sticky and stiff, I think it might be worthwhile to hire a stylist.

24. Anita18

Yeah unfortunately I'm not going for anchorwoman hair either. :rofl:

Yeah, I don't want it THAT badly. I think my mom was hoping I'd be able to do something with it, but if it won't work, it won't work. I'm mostly amused that it's this hard. Some people pay hundreds to get hair this straight, and I can't get it to change!

A good cut will probably be enough, and I have that planned at least.

And I'm certainly not having a tight French braid on my wedding day! French braid is my mom's go-to "formal" style and I always always hated the way my face looks with my hair so tightly back. :lol:

25. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Ok, I had about 3/4 inch of roots showing and couldn't stand it anymore so I bleach bathed my hair and I am now a mix of purple/burgundy/magenta. The mix was unintentional. I mixed some purple and hot pink in the conditioner in an attempt to make a raspberry color and it did look raspberry in the container but since the lengths of my hair had a mix of hot pink and reddish pink in it, it turned into all different shades of purple. I don't mind, I like it and I might go completely purple the next go around.

Now for the important part of this post... I need some help. I'm not sure if it's because of the time change (highly doubt it) but I've been so tired lately and I have noticed wrinkles starting to set it! EEK! Blech, I guess, I will be 37 soon so, whatever... Anyhoo, can you ladies recommend and treatment/cream/serum that will help with wrinkles? The ones that are really bugging me are the ones under my eyes.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Anita18, getting a good haircut sounds like a very good, stress-free option (given the haircut turns out well).

mhh, yes, that's the age that the work of the :EVILLE: begins. Not whole lot you can do about wrinkles under the eye but for crows feet which are inevitable, there's one thing--Botox.

27. Anita18

In that picture, it looks mostly like the skin is darker and that's why it's showing up so much. It's so dark that it's reading like a shadow, and thus the lines will look more set in. A good concealer will probably do wonders. :)

28. myhoneyhoney

I'm scouring makeupalley, sephora, and ulta for undereye wrinkle treatments now. I guess I'll have to practice applying concealer, sigh. On a plus note: Physicians Formula Baked Bronzer in Baked Tan is a pretty good match for me, gives me a glow without looking muddy! I also purchased the Shimmer Strips, I'm hoping to be able to use it as bronzer, blush, and eyeshadow. We'll see...

29. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

What are you looking at, myhoneyhoney? I really need some, though it's genetic so I doubt creams will help me. :drama: What I find helpful is putting a bit of white eye shadow by my tear duct, and some under my lower lids too.

30. myhoneyhoney

I'm looking at Sephora's list right now. It's difficult since everybody reacts differently to products. I plan on making a list of the top 6 and see if I can get samples.