Glamour Puss 5: 'Tis the Season to be (a) Hottie......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Starting a new thread since the previous one had over 1000 posts....

As is usual, here comes a lengthy post full of info on Lancôme cosmetics and skincare :lol: :eek: ....

While doing my Christmas shopping, one of the things I bought was the foundation that MiniCyn wears, and in addition to that, I purchased their Beauty Box. It's $59.50 with *any* regular Lancôme purchase and TOTALLY worth the money.

Instead of having a bunch of stuff in extremely small amounts like most cosmetic lines do for their Christmas/Holiday Beauty Box sets, Lancôme instead opted to have not quite as many items, but the items in it are all full (regular) size (with the exception of the Génifique, which is a .25 oz maxi-sample - the normal size for a bottle of it is one ounce, which costs $70.00, so there was unfortunately no way they could include it in the BB without dramatically increasing the price.

I did the math for all of the products in the BB (minus the Génifique sample), and if purchased individually, the total for all of the products it contains would be a whopping $274.00 :eek: (excluding sales tax), so $59.50 isn't just a pretty damned good deal, it's a fcuking AWESOME deal steal, so to speak :rofl:.

I anyone is interested in this, here's the link: Lancôme's Beauty Box. The department stores are pretty much sold out of their stock of Beauty Boxes (they're usually gone less than a week after they're available in the stores), so the only way to get one is to purchase it online.

Here's what it contains:

- One bottle of Bi-Facil (their :kickass: make-up remover - the best product of it's kind on the planet)
    - One Definicils mascara in Black
    - One .25 oz. maxi-sample of Génifique
    - One All-Over Shadow Brush (Lancôme's #22 brush)
    - One Synthetic Liner Brush (the white brush end of Lancôme's #18 shadow brush, which is normally dual-ended with a natural bristle brush on the other end)
    - Two Color Design lipsticks
    - Two Juicy Tubes (lip glosses)
    - Three Color Design eye shadows
    - One Le Crayon Khôl EyeLiner

Again, all of these products (except for the maxi-sample of Génifique) are the regular, full-sized ones you would normally buy individually at full price.

Plus, it's all packaged in what they describe as a "beautifully feminine train case." The case is black, and I have to admit that it's pretty darned cool looking.

The Bi-Facil, mascara, brushes, and Génifique are identical in both Beauty Boxes. The rest of the items (the lipsticks, juicy tubes, shadows, and eye pencils) are available in two color palates.

The color palate with "warm" shades is called "Sparkling Champagne," and are neutral shades (a little too neutral IMO) and are primarily light shades of earth tones - the eye shadow colors are cream, brown, and one other that I cannot remember at the moment. The eye pencil is brown, and the lipsticks are earth-toned, as are the Juicy Tubes (again, I don't know the names of the colors for any of them :slinkaway ).

The color palate with "cool" shades is called "Smokey Plum," and the colors in it have a bit more "pop" to them. Even though I'm an "Autumn" and generally stick to warmer tones, I can easily use the shades in the Smokey Plum color palate, and I would recommend it over the Sparkling Champagne to most everyone (though I know that there are definite exceptions to that suggestion).

Although I don't know the names of the colors for the Sparkling Champagne products, I do know the colors for the Smokey Plum :). They are:

Juicy Tubes Lip Glosses: Fruity Pop and Magic Spell (both part of their regular inventory)
    Lipsticks: Fashion Icon (available in their regular inventory) and Delicate Orchid (limited edition color)
    Eye pencil: Black Ebony (part of their regular inventory)
    Eye Shadows: Nude Silk, Sultry Violet, and Silver Twilight (all limited edition colors).

My :sekret: at Lancôme also loaded me up with a bunch of maxi samples - some of them were for products they've had for a while, along with ones for their newer products:

- 2 sample tubes of Cils Booster XL (which is their mascara primer and a great product to help lengthen and thicken your lashes before applying mascara to them),
    - 2 maxi-samples of Juicy Tubes in Coral Rush
    - 2 maxi-samples of Rénergie Eye Multiple Action (my absolute favorite anti-aging product for the eye area :swoon: - I cannot recommend this product enough)
    - 1 maxi-sample (1/3 of the regular size) of Le Crayon Kohl eye pencil in Black Coffee
    - 1 maxi-sample (1/3 of the regular size) of Le Crayon Kohl eye pencil in Black Ebony
    - 2 sample tubes of Definicils Precious Cells mascara in Noir
    - 2 VOCs (Vial-On-Card) parfum samples of their new fragrance, La Vie Est Belle (which IMO smells almost identical to Shalimar by Guerlain)

And lastly,

- 2 10ml (.33 oz. each) of one of Lancôme's new anti-aging product, Rénergie Éclat Multi-Lift. In addition to the anti-aging property, it comes in several different tints, so it can be used in place of foundation if used with powder. I haven't tried this yet, but once I do, I will report on how well it works and if it's worth getting.

What kinds of good/great/awesome deals has everyone been finding this Holiday Season? Please, please share -- seeing as how we're all a bunch of cosmetic junkies :p, we want to know, no, make that, we NEED to know about as many as possible :rofl: .

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Where can I get a :sekret: at Lancôme??

3. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Yeah, I'd like one too!

Lest you think I love every mascara that I try, I would like to state here that I don't really like Benefit's "They're Real." It clumps for me and is really hard to remove.

4. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I like the way "They're Real" looks (no clumps here), but I find it very difficult to remove as well.

5. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

But Benefits Oxygen Wow foundation is a friggin' miracle. Brightens, covers, doesn't look like a mask and their Honey shade is an exact match for my skin. It's not even that expensive!

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I use the Benefit Flawless Foundation in Champagne. It's awesome.

I hated the "They're Real" mascara as well.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love "They're Real" but agree that it's hard to remove.

8. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I loved They're Real at first, but fell out of love very quickly. My friend looooves it, though-- anything Benefit, and she's hooked. I'd love to use the brush with other mascaras I use, though. I'd love to mix and match various mascaras & brushes I have at the moment.

9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Help. I know this has been discussed in an earlier thread, but I can't find it.
    What's the best under $20 USD foundation for older skin? Something with light to moderate coverage that you can control is ideal for me. Nothing that settles into the fine lines. Anyone remember?

10. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

PRlady, I would love to try this foundation but fraking Benefits does not make enough shades for the public. It kind of pisses me off really.

I love They're Real Mascara.

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm not older, so I can't speak about the lines issue, but I'm a big fan of L'Oreal's TrueMatch foundation. It's light enough with lots of colors. Mixes super well.

12. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I would try Sephora brand. But what is your skin type? Also, cream foundations are really the "best" option for aging skin.

You may have to spend some extra money for a good foundation. You have to remember too, with some luxury/high end brands the pigmentation of product can be very very good that you use less product than you would for a drugstore brand.

I would recommend trying the brands Bobbi Brown, Chanel or Estee Lauder. You can look at Laura Mercier too. I would recommend trying a line smoothing primer and then try a regular drug store cream foundation. That may help you.

13. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I have four. Two are under or around $20.

The best cheap foundation I've found, and I wear it frequently, is L'Oreal Visible Lift. It has retinoids in it, it brightens, there are a lot of shades so it's easy to match your skin. (Note, I have combination skin, not sure how this would work for really dry or really oily.) It really really does not settle into fine lines.

For a long time I've used Clinique Perfectly Real. It is low-coverage but extremely natural-looking, it's my "jeans and a t-shirt" foundation that I also use in the summer because it's lightweight and doesn't cake.

The Oxygen from Benefit, as above, is incredibly good and maybe $30. Problem is, as topaz noted, it comes in only about 8 or 9 shades. If you're lucky enough to match it it is fabulous for older skin. I'm wearing it right now, my day started at 6 AM in New York, I got home an hour ago and I am one tired and somewhat stressed lady. But my skin still looks good!

And finally, for nights out or really long days when I need more coverage that lasts, Clinique Repairware laser focus. Created for older skin, a little bit thicker than I like but it sure does cover. It's also great for the days when the dark circles or whatnot are really visible. Also not that expensive, maybe $36? Clinique is a department store line that is reasonably priced relative to Lancome, Shiseido, Chanel and the like....

So that's my stash. Start with the Visible Lift because it's about a $12 investment, see how you like it and go from there.

14. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I got a package of 5 full size Lorac lipglosses for $25 at ULTA. I love them....they range in shade from pale pink to red and are in excellent scents/flavours such as creme brulee, candy apple, cotton candy, etc.

Also, I have been trying a sample of the Arbonne skincare products. My friend's cousin sells the line. I love the cleanser, like the serum and moisturizer, and hate the toner (drying) and eye cream (stings).

Not sure if I will purchase the cleanser and moisturizer or not. We'll see.

I think I still like the Caudalie line better.

15. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I've will be trying some Burberry products which all the serious beauty bloggers say are excellent products. I'm going to buy a lipstick and eyeshadow to test.

I've been on a Laura Mercier kick lately. The quality of LM is really outstanding.

16. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Their foundations are wonderful.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I haven't bought any new make up or skincare in months but Sephora beckons with their $20 off coupon. What to do? I will probably use it for buying presents.

18. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I'm worried about you. Are you feeling OK? (I'm only half-kidding.)

19. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I have so many samples from Sephora orders and Lancôme's GWP, I'm refusing to buy anything new. I must have a dozen different foundation primers to use up. :lol:

20. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

My Sephora coupon was only $15...but I used it within 2 days of getting it. :shuffle:

I've been on a nail polish buying binge lately--making up for lost time, since I've only been consistently painting my toenails for the last 5 years. Now I'm like a kid in the candy store!

21. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Either we Canadians didn't get Sephora coupons :)wuzrobbed:) or I've finally ceased spending enough to be a VIB. :p The latter is kind of tragic, even if I've done my best to avoid mecca-- sorry, Sephora since my wedding.

22. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm Canadian and received my $20 coupon.... :shuffle:

23. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

See? TRAGIC.

24. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I received a $15 one.

25. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

:wuzrobbed Where's my dang Sephora coupon???

26. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Are you a Beauty Insider? :)

27. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Yes, both in store and online.
    I admit I'm pretty busy with the little dude and could have missed it but usually those emails tend to stick out for me.

28. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I got mine in the regular mail a few days ago, so check there.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I just found it. $15 coupon in my junk email account. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Don't worry, all is well. :D I noticed that I am running low on my tinted moisturizer (Tarte Smooth Operator) and used the coupon after all. I will still buy some goodies for my MA's though.