Glamour Puss 4: Y'all are green with envy!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Ah… $60 for a brow and bikini wax is understandable and makes a lot more sense.

:eek: If that's the case, then I now know waayyyyy more about my sister's activities in the boudoir, seeing as how she has to have her brows weeded every 2-3 weeks :rofl: .

I right there with ya, pal :fragile:

2. Civic

Civic New Member

I have a question about shampoo. I"ve noticed for the past several years that when I first apply shampoo to my hair it doesn't form a good lather, even if I thoroughly wet my hair beforehand. I have to rinse it then apply shampoo a second time in order to get a lot of lather. Does anyone know what could account for this? Would my hair and scalp still get clean if I only applied shampoo once?

3. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ good quality salon shampoos do not make a lot of lather. Cheap, supermarket brands do because the public thinks they need a lot of suds to get their hair clean. :)

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I use Wen. It doesn't lather at all.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Lather is not necessary to clean. Your hair will get clean with today's shampoos even if it doesn't lather at all. An excessive amount of lather means the shampoo is actually starting to strip the hair of oils at that point.

Unfortunately, my antifungal shampoo routine kind of requires that I strip my hair. So I wash once with a regular shampoo (just a little dollop) then follow up with a small dollop of the prescription antifungal. I think this tiny bottle was only supposed to last me one month, but I've used it for 3. :lol:

I used to really pack on the shampoo since it's what my mom did when I was little. "Your hair's really thick!" :lol: But now I've learned it's not necessary, even for thick hair.

Maybe it's an Asian thing. We also used to actually use an entire capful of laundry detergent too, and I've learned I can get away with 10x less. :shuffle:

6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Sulfates are the lathering agents in shampoos--the chemically derived natural oil stripping ingredient that everyone is so wary of these days. Most of the drugstore shampoos use sodium lauryl sulfate, an alcohol-derived surfactant found in many regular cleaning products--and as such, it seriously dries out your hair. It can also cause color damage or damage to chemical treatments you've had done, like the keratin smoothing treatment. (Some companies are looking for other smoothing options other than keratin because they use animal proteins in the treatment, but thats another story.)
    As a result, many people want to go sulfate-free (especially curly haired folks whose hair is naturally dry already) or at least find shampoos that contain sulfates that are derived from less harmful sources. I know some use a sulfate derived from the babassu nut, which still allows the shampoo to lather but doesn't strip everything out of your hair.

7. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Really?! omg, that would save me a bunch of $$. Thanks, I'm going to try this today on my mountain of laundry! BTW, I'm Asian too, maybe that's why Mom always told me to use a capful. :lol:

8. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My sister-in-law was going on and on recently about an ex-boyfriend of hers who used less than a whole cap of laundry detergent for each load and how disgusting and unclean he was....and I was thinking, wow, then so are your brother and I, because I never use that much. (And she is not Asian!)

Make-up question...I replaced my Nars blush with a good color rec'ed here from ELF.

Now I need lipstick. Any recs for a lipstick that lasts, isn't drying and has good colors for reasonable prices?

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's also because I use Tide concentrated now. :) I only pour in enough in the cap where it covers the bottom (yes, the bottom of the cap, that little), then put that into the washer. That will do it, and I always do a full load in cold water WITH reusable cloth pantiliners. :lol:

My bf (who is not Asian) did laundry using that concentrated Tide and I was wondering why in the world did the comforter still smell so strongly of Tide and he had used a entire capful. :shuffle: Another Asian friend suggested I do another rinse cycle and I was like, "Or I could just use my Tide the way it was meant to be used - with as little as possible!" Why waste even more stuff when you waste? :lol:

10. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I snuck over to Amherst, New York, briefly last week to check out Target and Ulta, but Ulta was out of EVERYTHING that I wanted to buy. :wuzrobbed
    I did some decent damage at Target, however. I didn't realize they carried so much ELF. :)

My wedding was this past weekend, and my makeup turned out wildly well! :D Even if I forgot the lipstick(s) I planned to wear at home. :eek: I was worried it was a bit dark in person, but it's come out really, really well in the photos my new mother-in-law has sent me. :) I'm so glad I didn't get a professional to do it. I can't afford the high-end professional that would hopefully be better than every makeup artist I've tried already, and it was actually a really great way to stay calm and collect my thoughts pre-wedding. Everyone else was frazzled but me. And I was the first one ready of my mother, three bridesmaids and a smattering of friends. :rofl: That doesn't happen to me, ever.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    michaelfsfan, paulac, Habs and 7 others like this.
  11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

OMG, you should've come this weekend! We're hosting North Atlantic regionals - skating and makeup!! :swoon:

The Ulta on the Boulevard gets slammed on the weekend, I've seen many Canadians there (I can tell bc they always get asked if they have an Ulta card, and reply sadly that they can't have one). There's a big Ulta in the southtowns (McKinley Mall) if you go over the Peace Bridge that seems to be much better stocked. That's where I found Revlon Perplex, which never once made an appearance at the other Ulta.

ETA: omg :eek: just saw that your wedding was this weekend, obviously more important than skating + makeup. Congrats!!!

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Congratulations on your wedding! And about not hiring a high end or any make up artist--neither did Kate Middleton and she turned out just fine. :)

13. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Nor did I.... :drama: ;)

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

And neither did Habs. So you are in good company, Andora. ;)

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:saint:

16. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Congrats on the wedding, Andora! :cheer:

Not much makeup news here...I haven't made as much progress on my blog as I'd like to. I guess that's my goal now.

17. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

:encore: Andora!!! :encore:

I have no doubt you were a gorgeous bride! :)

In other makeup news, I'm on my second sample of Lancome's Visionnaire, and OMG, I love it more than the Genefique Serum! :swoon:

I've been using it in combination with the Genefique Serum (Visionnaire at night and Genefique in the morning, per Cyn's advice), so I don't know if I would love it as much if I were using it alone. I may try that for awhile and see.

18. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

So....Sephora's Friends and Family sale is coming up soon, and along with some Christmas presents I am thinking of getting a new hair dryer. I've heard those T3 dryers are amazing. I battle a lot of hair frizz, so if this dryer will both help with that and dry my hair faster I could be convinced to drop the cash on it. Then again, I could look for in on eBay too for probably even cheaper. But is it really EVERYTHING people say it is?

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Really? I would love a hair dryer that dries faster and leaves less frizz! Has anyone tried them?

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Congrats on the wedding, Andora! May you have many years of happiness together. :)

I haven't tried the T3, but I have tried the Chi hairdryer and it was wonderful. It does make your hair soft with a lot less frizz.

Not exactly makeup....but I want some riding style boots. I tried these and really liked them, except I'm having second thoughts....they were a bit thin and now I'm thinking too distressed? I also saw these and they are cheaper and have overall better reviews. But I like the black color in those, when I was looking for the cognac, and I haven't tried them on in real life....thoughts?

21. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I love the ones with the buckles, oleada!

22. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

MAC is having a big "Glitter and Ice" event next weekend and apparently it's inspired by the one and only Johnny Weir. He's on the invitation and it says "watch as figure skaters whirl and twirl around you" so I asked if he'd be there and was told some skaters would be there. How they plan on whirling and twirling around their small space, I have no idea.

23. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I agree, the buckled boots are fab, Oleada!

And thank you, everyone. :) I'm really proud of how the makeup turned out. Everything minus the missing lipstick hit just right. It was really strange to put it on with the photographer behind me watching, though. :lol:

24. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

YES! They are fantastic! Much quieter than regular dryers, and they do dry faster and leave my hair sleeker. I got mine on eBay for $65, which was a steal. As I'm sure you know with eBay, just be careful of knockoffs - buy from sellers who show a picture of the actual dryer, not a stock image, people who are from US, etc.

However ... I've heard that the F&F sale will only really be for "real" F&F, meaning you get a card from a Sephora employee, and the sale will not happen online. :mad: I hope it's not true.

25. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Is this the T3 dryer you guys are talking about? I'm interested in it...

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I got the buckled boots :D I think they were the ones I wanted all along but was having some last minute indecision :p

27. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I keep hearing different things about the F&F, too. Last I heard you get an individual code for a one time only order, instead of using the stock FF2011 code.

I knew you'd know about the dryer! Thank you! I guess I should look on eBay since that is way cheaper than even discounted at Sephora.

28. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I need some hair help.

I'm growing out my hair until it's long enough to donate and I haven't had hair this long since I was 13. When I started growing it out it was only a couple of inches long and now it's a couple inches past my shoulders. I have no idea what to do with it or even if I should invest in a brush (I only have a wide-tooth comb to detangle). Can anyone direct me to some scary stupid online tutorials? I generally just put some mousse in and leave it curly/crazy or straighten it if I'm trying to look a little more put together. I'd like to be able to use my new long hair though.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't have advice for you, made_in_canada, but this reminds me of my stupidity years ago when I cut off my long and lush pregnancy hair a few months after Mini-Ice was born AND DIDN'T DONATE IT! :wall: I must have been seriously sleep-deprived to space out like that.

30. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Lol, I did the same thing when I initially cut my hair short as a teenager :duh:

I feel like I've invested so much time into growing it out (since the summer of 2008) that I should really be taking advantage of the length while I still have it.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.