Glamour Puss 4: Y'all are green with envy!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Sep 22, 2011.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's interesting. I suppose if I had a tan and this was an evening occasion I could try this but I still think it's too intense on me. It's a very good red.

I've been going for a stronger eye with nude lip on special occasions lately. My hair looks pretty much like this right now, may be less highlights.

2. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

That's one of my favorite looks! I've been loving 1960's style cat eye lately.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't go as far as cat eye but I do line the inside of the lid and on the outside a bit too on occasion, kinda like Penelope here. I go without liner or just a bit of dark brown liner on the top lid to work if only to make the lashes look longer.

4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Eh?

BLV Notte opens with notes of fresh galanga, mandarin and bergamot; the heart unifies vodka, acacia, powdery iris and tobacco blossom; the base reveals dark chocolate, ginger and amber.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Bvlgari/BLV-Notte-Pour-Femme-149.html

It's not one of my favorites; it smells kind of like a spicy-ish baby powder on me.

5. mila19

mila19 New Member

It probably has to do with the texture of the lipstick more than the shade. They usually are matte finished so at least on me they make my lips look smaller.

6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Oh I looked it up on amazon.com...they didn't give the most thorough description. It sounds interesting. My current favorite scent is Origin's Ginger Essence (ginger, bergamot, lemon, lime) so maybe I'd like it.
    I got my hair colored today--she tried to give me violet highlights but they came out as more red highlights with a violet hue. It looks good, just not exactly what I was hoping for...but seeing as how I only paid 10 bucks, I'm not that upset.

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I just got done coloring my hair - instead of maintaining its regular color, I toned it down to a medium auburn with the slightest coppery shimmer. It's exactly what I was aiming for - it's the perfect shade for Autumn and it complements my skin tone, so I'm :biggrinbo and feeling a bit :glamor: right now, even without a bit of make-up on :lol:.

Part of me wants to haul out all of my shadows, liners, and lip colors to try a bunch of different color palettes and looks with the new shade, but I'm too tired :yawn:. I hate getting older :wall: .

8. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

9. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

$60 for waxing?? Wow. Don't they usually have someone who charges less? I went to a girl for awhile that charged $25 for brow waxing, and she did a really good job.
    Also--ask if anyone is training in at the salon. That's how I got the $10 color job, and my hair looks pretty damn good. (She also threw in the new botanical therapy treatment service under the radar so my hair is unbelievably soft.) Sometimes stylists need "models" to try new treatments, and they'll charge waaaaay less if you volunteer.

10. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

That article reminds me of the woman I spoke to at the Sears Lancome counter a couple of weeks ago. She had so much foundation caked on, I couldn't take my eyes off her face. :scream: If you look upthread, I came here to ask Cyn's opinion about the product. I did that because I doubted her. :shuffle: Turns out she gave me the wrong information....the Lancome woman, not Cyn. :p

11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

$60.00 for an eyebrow waxing?! :eek: :yikes:

The gal I go to charges $12.00, and she does a super job - I also usually tweeze a lot of the hairs that start to grow back before they ruin the shape, so I'm able to skip a couple of months between waxings.

12. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Yeah, that seems ridiculously high for a wax! I pay $15 for brows and upper lip.

13. PRlady

Oh noooooooooo. I go all the way to Bethesda from downtown because Sherrie does brows and bikinis with the least pain possible. And I am the world's biggest chicken about pain. Also we've been entertaining each other with our lovelives for three or four years now and I'm not starting over with anyone else.

It's the bikini wax that's more expensive, $35, the brows are only $25 and I do those only a few times a year.

(Aveda is clean and hypoallergenic. That counts too.)

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

my eyebrows havent grown in years

15. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Well alright, I can understand that. I went to one hairstylist for years because I enjoyed talking to him so much, and he cut my hair so well. But once he got to $85 a cut I couldn't justify going to him anymore.
    Plus the last time I saw him he promised me that since I was such a loyal client he'd give me a card that gave me 50% off his haircuts. Then I took it to the register and the lady snottily informed me that the card only worked Mon-Thurs, 9 am-3 pm. It was a Friday. :mad: I was so pissed I couldn't say anything, and I never went back.
    And I know Aveda is clean and hypoallergenic. :D

16. PRlady

You're not having enough sex. I've been told that by three aestheticians and a dermatologist. ;)

17. my little pony

im happy with my eyebrows

18. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Jesus, if that were true, I'd be drawing my eyebrows on with a pencil. :fragile:

19. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

My waxing lady charged $15 for brows and $5 for upper lip :shuffle: I wish I could afford to go back because she did a great job. I was looking at old photos and was struck by how nice my brows looked, it was obvious I'd just had them waxed. Her services were one of my recession casualties. :(

20. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

:shuffle: I once went back to a meh hairstylist because he was really hot. I considered it entertainment value while my hair was being cut. But I only went back the one time. No hotness is worth a shoddy $50 haircut.

Speaking of haircuts, I may have just gotten one my all-time best ones today, and an amazing set of highlights. :D I had an appointment booked with a lovely, lovely girl who did a great semi-permanent on me to even out my hair earlier this year. However, this other guy has a walking catalogue in a new friend of mine. I played back catcher this year, and every time she came up to bat I'd think, "Those are the best highlights I have EVER seen." After meeting another client of his last weekend, I decided I'd go somewhere that the results spoke for themselves. Decent price, too! Hair is ready for the wedding!

And then speaking of wedding makeup, the gel liner I'd bought not long, but apparently long enough ago has changed consistency and just kinda sucks now. It's too bad, I loved the Buxom Lashliner. After a lot of research and cashing in Shoppers points, I picked up Stila's liquid liner. Oh, wow. I haven't been able to wear eyeliner without primer for YEARS, but I can with this!

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

My eyebrows looked so nice at my wedding. It cost $25 and that was almost 10 years ago--welcome to San Francisco.

So wait, if I stop having sex, my eyebrows won't grow in???? :eek:

Nah...

22. my little pony

i come from a long line of women with sparse eyebrows. that may explain a lot.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That saves a lot of :bribe:

24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm Chinese, sparse eyebrows are pretty much the default. :lol:

25. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I have sparse eyebrows too though I still get strays. I just pluck them with my $2 tweezer.

26. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I recently switched from waxing to threading. I get it done at a kiosk at the mall. She only charges $10.00, and she does a fabulous job. My eyebrows have never looked better, but I sure wish it didn't sting so much! It's worth it, though... :) :)

27. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I have thick, coarse-haired eyebrows that your standard $8 tweezer can't handle. I had to get the Anastasia tweezer ($30) which was AMAZING and then I freaking lost it. I still haven't forgiven myself, and I'm still not willing to spend another $30 on a replacement. It pains me to this day.

28. PRlady

I used to have thick eyebrows, in the days when I tweezed them myself. Now they're thinning especially towards the ends. :(

OTOH, every time I go to this pricey salon in my old neighborhood I look around and realize I have more hair on my head than any other lady my age. It convulses me that the hair I hated, straightened, tried to thin, for the first 40 or so years of my life is now the feature that is best withstanding aging.

And my colorist whom I will someday lose to New York combed the color through this time, got rid of the overly light ends from summer sun and now I am a warm brown autumn with coppery highlights that are natural, not applied. I am happy.

29. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I have a great pair of tweezers that I bought off of QVC that are made in Switzerland (can't remember the brand). I even got my brother hooked on them and he bought himself a pair. :shuffle: I get an occasional eyebrow wax to keep the shape and I just pluck in between. I may get them waxed about five times a year, and it's usually when I've come back from a vacation because I tend to not upkeep them when I'm on vacation. :shuffle: I go to a nail salon that only charges $8 for an eyebrow wax.

30. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I over-plucked my eyebrows a few years ago and they never really grew back...I have to fill them in with pencil, and it's just the outer edges. I've considered using a product to grow them back, but I don't really care that much. I found a pencil that perfect matches the color of my eyebrows.