Glamour Puss 4: Y'all are green with envy!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:lynch: that sales lady!

I had my makeup done at my cousin's wedding. The makeup artist commented on how long my lashes were. I'm Asian. I have no lashes. :rofl: She was an incredibly nice lady, though.

I might try putting on false lashes for my wedding. I'm not sure when would be a good time to start practicing, but at least I have plenty of time. I work in a lab, I have tremendously good hand-eye coordination. Hopefully this won't be as difficult as it seems. :lol:

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont even want to look at myself w/o mascara, no one else should have to either

3. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

:rofl: I never thought of that as being great preparation for makeup application but maybe it is. The one time in my life I ever tried false lashes I almost blinded myself trying to get them on.

And, myhoney, don't feel badly. I was home sick the last two days, Saturday I didn't even shower until evening, and I had mascara on, because I can't stand seeing myself without it. I have decent eyelashes but they're pretty pale for a brunette.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  4. Anita18

I was able to do surgery on a chick embryo (to insert a tiny bead next to the wing bud) and not impale the heart, I'm pretty sure I can put on false lashes without poking myself in the eye. :lol:

However, I have to take my glasses off for the latter so the logistics might be more difficult. :p

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I have long thick lashes and only use mascara for special occasions. (Don't come after me...I'm likely going to lose the vision under those lashes eventually, so I think I deserve them).

On a different note...

Clearance sale time of year. I got half price nail polish!

OPI "Melon of Troy":

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RGy7FiAt2tI/Tgy_HRGQFGI/AAAAAAAAADM/xOQXOaOzqxk/s1600/IMG_2459.jpg

And "Panda-monium Pink":

http://deathbypolish.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/panda-monium-pink.jpg

The melon is on my toes and looks very summery. Haven't tried the pink yet.

I'm proud of myself for only buying two! A lot of the others were close to other colors I have, but that hasn't always stopped me in the past. :lol:

6. KCC

KCC Active Member

When I had my chemo treatments, I handled the hair loss just fine until I lost my lashes and brows. That was devastating to me. I looked like ET and had to draw in some brows (but I never did fake lashes). Too afraid fake lash adhesive would hurt the regrowth of the new lashes.

7. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

That was one of the only things appearance wise that bothered me during chemo too, KCC. It's amazing how much eyebrows and eyelashes affect how a person looks.

8. my little pony

milani has a limited edition felt tip liquid eyeliner, color play, that holds as well as any eyeliner i have used and it is super muggy here this weekend. it has a very fine tip. i think it was about $7.

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Suggestions for summer light coverage concealer and skin product for 20-something with oily skin? She starts the day looking great, but her face gets visibly shiny by mid-day when she's at work. (Or, some other solution?)

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I went with a friend with very, very sparse lashes to the department store cosmetics counter where she bought a packet of fake lashes and then the makeup person there (who was very good, it seemed) spent 20 minutes giving her a lesson in how to do it. They looked great, and not fakey. (This was a Monday first thing after opening; probably not the thing to do on a weekend.)

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Just noticed that ebates is offering an 8% cashback on Sephora purchases when you set up a free account and click through their site to Sephora. (Or a huge list of other on-line retailers.) They've reliably sent me cashback bonuses for other online purchases; if you haven't used them and want to try, you can get a free $10 gift card to Target or Barnes & Noble if you click through this link:
    http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=Ucjaz1lfbkAuhcfwr/HSvQ==

Disclosure: I get a $5 bonus if you do buy something someday after signing up with this referral. But, I send my local food bank my total rebates each year as an additional contribution. Given my Amazon and other on-line purchases, it adds up nicely. They say that for every dollar they can get 4 person-meals worth of food.

12. my little pony

does she want concealer for blemishes or for under the eye?

today i used tarte clean slate eye primer for the first time. $15. i put it on at 7 am. took a nap after dinner. then washed my face. eye shadow still hadnt creased and it didnt even come off, just faded a little after i washed my face. best eye primer i have ever used.

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Maybelline Mineral Power concealer is great, light but has decent coverage. If she wants something for blemishes, go with a more yellow tint to counteract redness. If it's undereye area, try a pinker hue to brighten it up.

The shininess is difficult to correct with makeup — I've never found a product that controls oiliness all day without either drying out my skin or caking it on. I carry a little packet of blotter papers from Sephora for when I start to look extremely ... reflective.

I've also found that my skin is less likely to become oily when I use pure aloe vera gel instead of moisturizer. I've been doing this for months now and I really like it. It's also cheap as hell: a big bottle of the clear aloe vera gel (don't get the green ones) is $3.50 at Walmart.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

See, that's how I know I can't. I was just in a few basic biology labs and cannot tell you how many wells I'd ripped with a pipette trying to do DNA gel electrophoresis. And the amount of glassware I broke in organic chem lab.

PRLady, have you ever been in a lab, just wondering...:shuffle:

15. fan

fan Well-Known Member

i believe you're speaking a foregin language. i don't understand a word of what you just said.

16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

:lol:

17. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

False eyelashes are the same as applying liquid eyeiner: It just takes practice. I did, however, have someone help me with them for my own wedding. I wish I wore falsies more often. I have yet to conquer individual ones.

Has anyone tried one of the many BB creams out there? According to http://www.musingsofamuse.com/ most North American releases are just tinted moisturizer. I'm glad, though, because suddenly the market is flooded with affordable, decent TMs! I like Maybelline's so far.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I can barely understand it myself. :lol:

19. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

So does anyone know if there is a decent BB Cream in the US? I have an excellent tinted moisturizer; I'd like to try an actual BB cream.

Speaking of shiny faces: I have been told over and over again that I am shiny because I don't moisturize enough. I, after a month of moisturizing with an oil-free moisturizer, am still shiny.

Meh.

20. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I have the Origins BB cream. I just think of it as a tinted moisturizer, and the best one I've tried so far. It doesn't cause me to break out, and I don't need to wear foundation over it. Apparently it also has anti-aging benefits, so that's cool.

21. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

What exactly is bb cream?

22. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

BB stands for beauty balm. Ok according to wikipedia is stands for blemish balm. I guess the idea is to have a cream that is a moisturizer, primer, foundation, and SPF protectant in one.
    I have oily skin and mine isn't oil free, but it still keeps oil under control without causing breakouts. And I don't have to wear foundation since it gives my skin a really nice smooth look.

23. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Ok, hubby has consented: I can get a Clarisonic! So, which one to get: Mia or Mia 2? Do I really need the timer & extra speed? I like to think my skin is ok, not too dry (at least for now, winter's a whole other bear), not too oily (only mildly in t-zone), with minimal hormonal acne, and minimal wrinkles. I do have some acne scars and sun spots :(. I'm 36 now so wrinkles are bound to happen/deepen! I don't know which one to get.

24. my little pony

i got the travel one, i didnt think i needed the extras. i like it fine.

25. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

My friend tried it and she got terrible breakouts and rashes from using it.
    It's just not for everyone.

In other news: Génifique is da bomb! :respec:
    You got yourselves a convert :)

26. myhoneyhoney

I'm going to have to try and get a sample of this so I can try it out.

27. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Try the Marcelle one. I'm loving it.

28. myhoneyhoney

Went to Sephora and purchased Dior's DiorShow. I can't wait to use it!

29. Anita18

Washing off my Catwoman makeup for the second time after going to a Batman-themed dance club. I wear glasses so I elected to use black stage makeup instead of wearing a domino mask. And GODDAMN black stage makeup will show you exactly where all your pores are when you try to take it off. :rofl: This is downright frightening! :yikes:

For those interested, a picture of myself from the midnight showing :) : https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/524098_10151129443760407_1260782222_n.jpg

30. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer