Glamour Puss 4: Y'all are green with envy!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Sep 22, 2011.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Another one here on a constant search for mascara. I'm going to have to try Buxom...

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the Hypnose Doll Eyes mascara, but I lurves Hypnose Drama - I don't know if it's the consistency of the mascara itself, the formula, the shape of the brush, or a combination of the three, but it makes my lashes look fabulous (even more so if I use Cils Booster with it).

MiniCyn, who has eyelashes to die for (she could seriously be an "eye" model :lol: ), also uses Hypnose Drama, and it makes her lashes look like they're over an inch long without looking clumpy or stiff.

3. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I've got both as freebee gifts, and like the Doll Eyes better. The Drama is TOO dramatic, at least in black. I've got bronze-y hair and green eyes and a really heavy black mascara looks too vampish for my medium coloring.

But :cheer2: for you Cyn and your Visionnaire prosletyzing. (sp?) It really is brightening my skin and evening out the tone, and my forehead wrinkles are much less noticeable. (I refuse to Botox.)

I waited 11 months for more Juvederm, partially because I was in no-dating mode. Now that I've withstood the pain again, last Friday, and the one bruise it made is fading, I have to say that those needles are magic. My doctor said that those with olive skin, like me, have the best results, so yay for semitic ancestors. ;)

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I like the Too Faced Lash Injection for the night out--big, dramatic lashes but doesn't look spidery. Still use Clinique's High Impact for workdays.

Also, Korres has apparently discontinued the tinted moisturizer I've been using and so I settled on Tarte Smooth Operator SPF 20. Will start it soon as am on my last drop of the Korres.

Also bought the above mentioned Lash Injection, nail polish drying drops and a prezzie for my aunt's birthday:

She likes citrus-based scents so all these are from Fresh:

Roll on perfume in Brown Sugar
    Hand Cream in Brown Sugar (she is a medical professional and so washes her hands constantly, all of us need hand cream all the time)
    Travel size mascara and the Fresh Soy Facial cleanser kit
    Sugar Lip duo thingie

All of this adds up to about a price of an Hermes fragrance I was considering as an alternative (Sephora carries Un Jardin Sul Le Nil (love it, perfect summer fragrance, J-C Ellena is a fragrance god!!), Un Jardin En Mediterranee and Un Jardin Sur Le Toit). However, I consulted with her daughter my cousin and was told that a kit of goodies would be preferable.

I am pretty sure she will like it and the fact that I am supporting a company started by fellow Russian Jewish immigrants. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

NYX has a lot of new products and I just ordered a bunch on Cherry Culture on Sunday. I can post reviews once I actually get the package. They have 6 new mascaras as part of a new "Boudoir" collection. :)

I've been very annoyed with most mascaras lately--I don't like spider lashes, but I want volume. I think Maybelline One by One Volum' Express is my favorite right now, it gives lots of volume with no spider effect.

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I am trying this before Botox. :p I really like it (two days), but I can see where the scent could give someone a headache. My cats don't like at all.

Oh, there is an awesome gift with purchase right now, though. I got a small rolling cooler. :D I don't know what I'll do with it, exactly, but it's groovy. As were all the makeup samples. And my new pink makeup bag. :glamor:

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's the problem with some of the department store brands--why do their products have to smell so "perfumey"? Anyway.

What do people think about cream shadows? I tried them a long time ago and didn't like how they slid right off my lids or settled in creases. I wonder if the formulations have changed since then and they are better now. Or is it better to stick to the traditional powder ones?

8. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Benefit cream shadows that I love. I always wear them with primer, and they last all day.
    I've tried other brands that suck (*coughRevloncough*), but the Benefit ones are terrific.

9. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

I have a Revlon cream shadow pallete and its fixation sucks big time (even with primer). Too bad, because the colors are really pretty.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  10. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I won't use them. Even when they stick, they show the wrinkles much more than the powders.

The current Lancome giveaway eye shadows have a violet that is :swoon: It looks much brighter than it is, it is a wonderful contour color (with a neutral gray or slight lavender), particularly for blue or green eyes.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, I will take PRLady's word for it. No cream shadows! :mitchell:

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the only ones i have ever had luck with are the benefit ones, the "creaseless cream shadows"

14. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I can use NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil and most other cream shadows if I use a primer (like UDPP) under them. But cream shadow with no primer usually doesn't work well for me.

15. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Interesting, I've been curious about cream eyeshadows but I've never tried them. Creasing is a huge issue with my eyelids so maybe it's best to avoid.
    Question for curly haired individuals--has anyone here tried Deva curl? I'm thinking of trying out the salon here that touts their products and was wondering if anyone here had comments. I've been having the worst time finding someone that can consistently cut my hair well.

16. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Unless the shadow SAYS creaseless, (and not crease-resistant) then it's going to be junk. Maybelline's new Tattoo Ink cream shadows are close to creaseless, but no dice after a long day. However, over primer (or another creaseless shadow), they're fine.

Cream shadows I use that DON'T crease are MAC Paint Pots, Benefit (as mentioned), one by Avon that's been discontinued since, and Bobbi Brown's amazing line. I understand Shisheido Chanel's are also good, but I'm not fond enough of those colours to pay for them. :p Also, Clinique's Touch Base is great, but I found it over priced for what you get.

I personally love cream shadows because I can put them on anywhere. Handy with a long train commute. ;) My mom, in her early 50s, loves them because it's one step, keeps her eyeliner from winding up above her lids, and she thinks they don't show the wrinkles as much as powder shadow does. She'd long given up on eye shadow because of that.

17. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Tony is the most important man in my life. He cuts my curly hair well, and has for 10 years. (Second is Mikin, the colorist.) I've never tried Deva, but all the Moroccan Oil products are working wonders on my hair -- no frizz, soft, healthy. Worth the price!

18. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

19. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I've tried the moroccan oil intense curl cream and I like it, but it seemed to have a residue build up after awhile. It did make my hair super soft though. I've been using Aveda for years and I love it, but I do like to try other lines to see how they work with my hair.
    The only issue is every time I go to get my hair cut at an Aveda salon, they tend to give me a Christmas tree haircut and apart from one stylist (who now charges $95 a cut), they never know how to style my hair when it's curly.

20. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Speaking of TM, I bought Nars Radiance TM. IT IS MARVELOUS!!!!!!!

It is $42 for 1.7 oz. However, it's feel, coverage and staying power are fabulous. The finish is a dewy finish and it has a spf of 30. I have dry to normal skin and I'm hydrated for 8 to 10 hours. There are 9 shades.

Nars Radiance Tinted Moisturizer

Speaking of fragrances - I bought the Roll-On size for Tocca's Cleopatra Collection Roll On, Stella McCartney's Eau de Parfum and L'Eau d'Issey Eau de Toilette Roll-On.

Tocca's Cleopatra is a new try for me. I absolutely love it. I may have to try Tocca's other fragrances too.

Stella and L"Eau d'Issey are two of my all time favorites for me. I wanted to try the roll on because they're portable.

IceAlisa if you're in the market a spring/summer fragrance; have you checked out DKNY PureVerbana? I bought recently and I really like it.

21. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

LOL. Sweet heart you gotta invest in a lash comb. How many coats of mascara are you using/ are you removing enough product from the wand?

If you using 2 to 3 coats and wiping off the wand before applying it, then it may be the formula you're using. It may be too heavy for your lashes.

22. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I love cream shadows, PRLady is out of her mind.

@ HABs, I use Benefit Creaseless shadows too. I love them and I have them in 5 shades - Tattletale, Busy Signal, Strut, Top Brass and Birthday Suit. I love the creamy softness of the shadows. I little goes a long way and they set in about 1 minute. I don't have any creasing and fading starts to happen after about 8 or 9 hours.

TattleTale which is a buttercream color I use as a base for powder shadows. It really lightens up my eye lids.
    Busy Signal is a Copper Brown or Burnished Copper. It's my favorite. It is the perfect neutral color for me. It's one of the cream shadows I reach for when I have like 10 minutes.
    Strut is a Smoky Gray/Blue. I love to wear it alone or as a base with other shadows.
    Top Brass is a antique gold and Birthday suit is my least favorite color.

My 2nd favorite brand of cream shadows is Bobbi Brown. The texture is velvety. The colors are very wearable and work really well as a base or alone. The BB cream shadows have a matte finish and set in about a minute two but they are buildable.

Go to Bobbi Brown and have one of the sales rep try it out on you. Or go to Sephora who carries most of the BB long wear cream shadow colors, MUFE and Benefit's cream shadows and try it on too.
    I havent' tried Laura Mercier, tarte or Chanel's cream shadows. I wanna try Armani's Eyes to Kill cream shadows which I hear are some of the best on the market.

Makeup Forever makes fabulous cream shadows too(aqua creams) that are waterproof and last over 12 hours.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  23. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I went and picked up Lancome Cils Booster and Visionnaire today, and when I got home and opened my gift with purchase, the bottle of foundation was completely empty. :wall:

24. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I have a lash comb...I don't like to use them, they tend to make the problem worse by making my lashes stick together more. Usually I can fix issues with my fingers.

I do wipe off the wand first and only apply 2 coats. I'm just being picky mostly. :) I have long and thick lashes, and I know I'm lucky for that.

I've found that I can make the Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes work...if I spend a very long time applying it. It's still not that great IMHO.

25. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Excuse moi? :drama: They don't work for me, that's all I wrote. Everyone has different textures to their skin, sometimes it varies dramatically on the same face! I've got a shiny T-zone that includes the eyelids. :lol:

And yes, that was the Moroccan Oil stuff I mentioned. It's pricey but worth it.

26. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Are you using the plastic or metal lash comb? The metal ones are more dangerous that plastic ones, but I love my Sonia Kashuk metal lash comb.

http://www.target.com/p/Sonia-Kashuk-Lash-Comb/-/A-12151522?reco=Rec|pdp|12151522|ClickCP|item_page.adjacency&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.adjacency

The metal comb may help; I can understand that you don't like it.

27. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I've heard that BB cream shadows work the best for oily lids.

Also, the eye primer can help with cream shadows. I bought the True Blood Eye Shadow Palette last summer from Tarte. They had a small size version of the Tarte Lifted eye primer with firmitol.

It decreases the look of fine lines on the lids and undereye area. I use it under the eye mostly a base for my corrector/concealer. It reduces the appearance of the lines and helps the concealer crease less.
    *Tip use your eye primer under the eye area where you would place corrector/concealer. I find it helps the concealer stay on longer and crease less. Concealer in my opinion is always going to have some creasing. ALWAYS.

I've heard that Nars Smudgeproof is the best eye primer for oily lids. I havent tried the Nars eye primer(I don't have oily lids) but Nars is one of my favorite brands and their product quality is very good and consistent.

28. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I have very oily eyelids and Benefit and Make Up Forever cream shadows work the best for me. LURVE Make Up Forever....it lasts all day long without creasing...even longer with primer underneath...

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

psssstttt!! The Lancôme rep at the cosmetics counter is supposed to do a striping test to match one to your skin tone, and then fill the bottle so it's customized to your needs.

30. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Are you friggin' kidding me? I'm not sure whether to :revenge: or :rofl:

Mostly I'm :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back to Sears tomorrow to nicely tear a strip off them. :p