Glamour Puss 4: Y'all are green with envy!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Sep 22, 2011.

1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Yep there were fake but still gorgeous and very flattering.

I'll have to find a picture.
  2. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Alrighty, my beauties, spring is here and before you know it, summer. I'm hunting for my spring/summer look. I need the make up to be quick and easy to apply with fingers unless it comes with an applicator... think "throw in a little baggie to take to the water park". It would be nice if it can withstand the water park too, lol. Nothing too dramatic, the nude/bronzed but with BIG eyelashes look. More on the pink/peachy side during spring and then peachy/bronze for summer. Think I can accomplish this? BTW, I'm tan, NC42.
  3. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

So I paid a visit to the Lancome counter this afternoon, and the rep burst out laughing. She was off sick on Saturday, and the Clinique rep was covering for her. Clearly, she had no idea what was in the GWP.

I got my bottle filled, and she threw in Tresor perfume, Definicils mascara, Bi-Facil makeup remover and Visionnaire samples. :encore:
  4. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Bi facial is so good, the best eye makeup remover. It's just so expensive. I love when I get a sample size of it. :lol:
  5. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

It really is terrific, isn't it? I have a couple of samples I've been hoarding.
  6. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I wore Tresor maybe 15 years ago and loved it. Either it changed or my nose did, because it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

All the perfumes I bought on my binge in the fall I still love except for one, the Bulgari Black. The rubber undertone bugs me, as it turns out.
  7. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I hadn't met a Bvlgari scent I didn't like until I met Bvlgari Black.

Today I am wearing Bvlgari Rose.
  8. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Sounds like you cleaned up :D.

It now makes sense that your foundation bottle wasn't filled (I was :confused: as my Lancôme :sekret: told me that during their training, offering a customized sample of foundation was drilled into their heads :lol: ). Beauty consultants are not cross-trained with other cosmetic lines. Taking care of a sales transaction (like the Clinique rep ringing up your Lancôme purchase) is fine and, given how sparsely staffed a lot of cosmetic departments are these days, necessary, but they can apply, test/stripe, or match makeup only from the company they represent -- it's done to ensure that someone doesn't give misleading or incorrect information about a competing brand's product to a customer.

MiniCyn and I went shopping after school today, and I got the current Lancôme GWP at Belk's. All in all, the products in it were fab - I ended up with a small vial of Génifique (choice between that or one of Visionnaire; I got the Génifique as I have about 30 sample packets of Visionnaire in my vanity), Creme Radiance cleanser, Rénergie Lift Volumetry moisturizer, Blush Subtil (in Aplum, which is my shade), an eyeshadow quad -- all four colors (Latte, Kitten Heel, Fashion Admirer, and Madison Avenue) are kickass and work with my coloring, a mini Definicils mascara, a Color Design lipstick (a cream called "Love It"), and two dramming bottles of customized foundation (Photôgenic Lumessence in Buff 4). Plus, a couple of Vial-On-Cards of Trésor In Love and some more sample packets of Visionnaire. Oh, and a cute black cosmetic bag with a light blue grosgrain ribbon bow.

Same here :lol:. When it first came out, I practically marinated in it :eek:. I had to stop wearing Trésor when I was pregnant with MiniCyn -- it became one of those trigger scents that sent me running to the loo to hurl :scream:.

Lancôme now has two variations of Trésor - Trésor In Love, and Trésor Midnight Rose -- they switched up at least one of the base notes in each. In Love is a softer, lighter version of the original, and Midnight Rose is a darker, spicier version. The In Love is really nice (I can wear it without having any 'flashback nausea' leftover from when I was pregnant), but the Midnight Rose IMO smells like B.O. :yikes:, most likely from the new base note(s) being stronger and heavier musk.

MiniCyn celebrated a Rite of Passage in :glamor: today - she had her eyebrows waxed for the first time :biggrinbo.

Her brows have a good natural arch, and while they were in no way close to looking like this, they definitely needed some shaping and a bit of weeding on the outer halves to enhance her pretty blue eyes. MC wasn't sure she needed to have them done, but with Prom this weekend, I insisted she get them waxed. Since getting home, she's been in the mirror admiring them and is now wondering why she didn't do it sooner :rofl:
  9. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:rofl: Cyn. That's like me when I got mine waxed for the first time but I was 20!
  10. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Harumph. I got two different GWPs from Lancome in two weeks, the first to buy the eye cream and try Visionaire, and the second with the Visionaire. Didn't get foundation either time and both lipsticks were not really my colors. Got powder instead of blush, but that's OK, maybe something will finally de-shine my nose.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I wore Tresor in the 90s, can't now. Now, the ad for Midnight version of it has the fugliest picture of Emma Watson I've ever seen. She is such a lovely girl, how could they?

Now, I am a happy recipient of a Sephora gift card for my birthday. How should I spend it?
  12. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I went to the MAC counter today just looking for something to even out my skin. I turned 40 about 6 months ago and I am a little self conscious. I wanted something just for light coverage. My skin is fairly clear. By the time I left I had spent $130 and I really feel violated. How many people get suckered into buying more than they intended? I plan to return everything except my lip gloss and pencil.

But I have a question.....how can you combat puffy eyes if you have sensitive skin? It is hereditary (thanks Dad). What can I do if I wake up puffy? Is there an inexpensive solution that doesn't require a lot of makeup? After my trip to the makeup counter I realized that that not be the route for me.

ETA: I did try cucumbers on my eyes once and they made my face and eyes itch terribly. It was strange because I eat cucumbers with no problem.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

What MAC foundation did you get? I've heard Face & Body is very good for a light coverage liquid foundation. I really like my mineralize skin finish natural powder, too.

I just watched a YouTube video on facial massage and reducing puffiness, perhaps this will help? Seems like it'd feel good even if it doesn't :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrceQS7qdaI
  14. myhoneyhoney

I use F&B right now. It was awful during the hot summer months but I'm loving it now that it's cold. I have dry skin but my tzone gets really oily during the summer. The coverage is minimal and the bottle is huge so it lasts forever.
  15. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Maybe cold teabags would work? I have sometimes used spoons that I put in the freezer for about a minute. Make sure that the spoons don't frost up though, or they will stick. OUCH!

My sympathies about the sensitive skin. I have it to, so I know what you are talking about.
  16. FiveRinger

I got Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation.....When I got home, I didn't see that much of a difference. But in the store, of course, it looked great. I spent $100+ on the foundation, primer, eye cream. It's amazing how sometimes the sales people try so hard to make you feel like you need everything. For that kind of money, not to see a difference I couldn't justify spending that. I wanted light coverage, but I am supposed to see it, right? The lip pencil and the lip gloss I'll keep.....I like those.

I'm a little afraid of tea bags. But I will give the tea bags a try.
  17. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I sympathize, but that's what they've been trained to do. If you don't meet the company's benchmarks, your job is in jeopardy. I disagree with most of the upselling tactics they teach though.

Anyways, I visited the salon that specializes in Deva curly hair cuts, and I have to say, one of the best hair cuts I've ever received. The stylist also gave me a bunch of great tips on how to care for my hair and while I've been doing a fairly good job of styling it, my hair now feels much softer and healthier after seeing her and using the advice she gave me. I've been getting boatloads of compliments too. I'm definitely sticking with her.
  18. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I need some advice about Lancome, etc. I've cleaned out my makeup drawer from the last three gift with purchases. I have the following eye things: Renergie Lift Volumetry, High Resolution Refill-3x and Absolue Premium. These are all in the little jar things. I also have in my medicine cabinet a Benfait Multi-Vital Night.

I think I bought the Benfait line of moisturizer, night cream and eye cream as a package to use. I use, and love, the Genefique. I can't use the Visionairre as it triggers migraines.

I have no clue what to use. I have fine lines like crows feet. My skin in the eye area is normal, not oily or dry. My t-zone, however, is like a big old grease ball by the middle of the day.

So I've given up on their moisturizers. My Lacome lady gave me some Absolue to try for a week, and I still felt like there was an oil slick on my face. I've gone back to my trusty Mary Kay oil free moisturizer, which works okay.

I just want something to help with those lines, and the crepe paper like undereye area. I'm thinking I should be using the Lift Volumetry.

Any thoughts?
  19. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Absolue is one of the stronger moisturizers by Lancôme and is generally recommended for women that are, age-wise, going through or following menopause.

Lancôme's line of moisturizers are designed to correlate with a woman's skin as she ages. The order is:

Bienfaît: Late teens to early/mid 20s
    High Resolution 3X: Late 20s through late 30s/very early 40s
    Rénergie Lift Volumetry: Early/Mid 40s to Early/Mid 50s
    Absolue: Mid 50's through late 60's/ very early 70s
    Platinéum: 70s and up

I don't have time right now, but I'll post more details about them, what each one does, and how they work.

ETA: How old are you? What is your coloring/complexion? Aside from the T-zone, what type of skin do you have? What are your current major concerns (aside from fine lines/crow's feet)?
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  20. Christina

I'm 41. I've got a fair complextion - lots of Scots/Irish in my background.I guess I've got normal to oily skin in the summer, and a little drier in the winter. Normally in the winter I do a good moisturizer daily, but with the mild winter we've had, I haven't even done that.

I've got very little sun damage, as my father got diagnosed with skin cancer when I was 10 and I'm paranoid about it. Every freckle gets the once and twice over! I've been told I look about 10 years younger than I am, and I'd like to keep it that way, but those lines are coming in. Other than that, aside from the occassional blemish and undereye circles when I don't get enough sleep, that's it.

Help me, oh knowledgeable one!
  21. paulac

paulac Active Member

Cyn, or any other experts out there, can you use Visionnaire in conjunction with Retinol? I got a Dr Brandt intensive night retinol treatment (2% retinol) - it recommends using it three times a week - would it be ok to use Visionnaire on the other nights?
    Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're not me? :p With the exception of your age (I'm 44), your description of your skin is nearly identical to mine.

You should definitely *not* be using the Absolue line (unless you've either had a total hysterectomy or have gone completely through menopause, and from the description of your skin, that doesn't seem likely).

Your best bet is the Rénergie Lift Volumetry moisturizers. If your main concern right now are the fine lines in the eye area, I would recommend the Rénergie Multiple Action Eye Cream as it's extremely effective at diminishing lines/crow's feet, plus it works to help even out skin tones *and* it works to "lift" the skin in the eye area as gravity starts to affect the skin around the eye at our age (causing the skin on the lid, under the brow, and under the lower lid to start "sagging" or "drooping"). The Rénergie Lift Volumetry Eye Cream is a great standalone moisturizer and does work on "lifting" the skin in the eye area, but it can't compare to the Multiple Action.

My whole face tends to get oily during the spring/summer, so instead of using the Rénergie facial moisturizer, I use the High Resolution 3X Daytime Moisturizer as it's a lot lighter and cuts way down on shine during the day.

Visionnaire is supposed to be noncomedogenic, but I honestly have no idea if it can be used in conjuction with Retinol. Alternating nights between the two products is probably safe, but to be sure, and to be on the safe side, I would check with a Dermatologist before trying it.

If it were me, I would do that first before asking the advice from a Beauty Associate. As Scintillation mentioned upthread, Cosmetic Sales Associates have target goals for sales they are required to meet, and while many are honest and will sacrifice a potentially large sale in the best interest of their client, some can and will be unscrupulous in order to make a sale, consequences be damned.

Hope that helps, y'all! :)
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    paulac and (deleted member) like this.
  23. myhoneyhoney

Waterproof mascara? I leave for vacation Friday and don't have one yet.... I have short skimpy lashes, a nightmare really. Anyone have a suggestion?
  24. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I use Maybelline's Waterproof Lash Stilletto-- the volumizing one-- when I play baseball in the summer. It's held up well and looks fab.
  25. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Also wanted to say that you should never underestimate the power of being nice and friendly to your salesperson--they are far more likely to give you free samples and be genuinely invested in helping you out.
  26. Christina

Thanks for the input Cyn. Now I just have to get some of the multi-action eye. So I've got a small thing of High Resolution Refill 3x and a small Absolue Premium eye creme. Anyone want them? I feel bad just throwing them away or leaving them in my medicine cabinet to go bad. They are both from gift with purchases in the last year. More like the last two.

And buyer beware. Genefique's bottle is glass. My brand new bottle fell out of the medicine cabinet and onto my tile floor. Smashed in to a bajillion pieces. At least it was still during the GWP time, and I got another set....
  27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

That sucks about your bottle of Génifique breaking :(. I'm always super careful with mine as I worry that it might break or spill if it gets knocked over (I usually have to re-dip the dropper three times when I use it, and I always screw it back on in between each time.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold on to the High Resolution 3X. During the summer, you may find it to be better than the Rénergie when it's super hot outside - I've found that the Rénergie is just too heavy and oily in the summer months, and my foundation feels almost slimy on my face. No matter how often I blot or use powder, my face still looks shiny and feels oily, but when I use the High Res. in its place, that doesn't happen.
  28. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Absolutely :).

It also helps a lot to develop a rapport with a specific salesperson/beauty associate. By doing so, they are familiar with your preferences and needs and, as Scintillation stated, will be more likely to give you samples (sometimes more than they usually give customers).
  29. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Oh yes. I've occasionally given nice customers every single sample available because I'm so relieved they're responsive, smiling, and not chatting on their f***ing cell phone.
    Sorry, that is a huge pet peeve of mine. Actually, it is a huge pet peeve of every salesperson I know.
    I was walking by MAC today and saw they had some Mineralize powders featured...and now I'm itching to try them out.
  30. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

When I heard that Prescriptives was no longer being sold in stores, I was :fragile: :wuzrobbed as they had the most fantastic loose powder I've ever used. Turns out that Prescriptives is still alive and well; turns out it's being sold strictly online now :cheer2: :biggrinbo. The amazing powder?

*Magic Liquid Powder

I don't know what sort of sorcery is involved in making this stuff, but it feels like cool water being lightly caressed on your face when applied. At $37.50 for 1.2 ounces, it's no pricier than any of the Lancôme powders, but (at least with my skin), it does by far the best job of setting foundation and getting rid of any shine during the day. The only downside is that over time, it will eventually lose the "magic" hydrating feel to it, but if used every day, there's no risk of that happening.

I also discovered a new fragrance that I absolutely love - Marc Jacob's "Oh Lola" :swoon:

It's quite different from the types of perfumes I usually wear, and not only did the scent last a good long while, it didn't change or go rancid as they day went on. My birthday is in May, so I'm dropping a hint to my sister and mom (for that or my eternal quest for Chanel No.19) as their tastes in clothes, fragrances, music, books, and jewelry are extremely different from mine.
  31. paulac

paulac Active Member

Not long back from a trip to New York, and I fairly hammered the credit card, mainly at Sephora. I got:
    Stila custom color blush in Pink
    Buxom lip polish in Dani
    Sephora angled eyeliner brush
    Murad starter acne kit (I've had an outbreak on my jawline recently, and am hoping this will sort it out)
    Dr Brandt Glow kit (retinol based night & day creams)
    Dr Brandt Laser-a-peel mask
    Phyto hair treatment cream
    Nars primer

and in Mac, eyeshadows Phloof, Shroom, Copperplate, Vex, Shale & Greensmoke, and a 213 brush

Should keep me going for a while! :yikes:
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  32. paulac

paulac Active Member

Ok I've done a bit of research online about this, and the consensus seems to be that you can alternate between visionnaire & retinol. The retinol treatment I'm using recommends three times a week initially, so I'm going to use the visionnaire on the other nights & see how it goes. I'm still using Genefique every morning also.
  33. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

paula, GREAT MAC eyeshadow picks!! I've been eyeing Vex forever.
    paulac and (deleted member) like this.
  34. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

OOOOOOH! This sounds great. I have MAC's Copperplate--love it. The rest sounds really good too. Enjoy!

Snark: Too Faced Lash Injection has a different wand. It's kind of shallow with short, widely spaced bristles and I am yet to figure out how to get the most out of it. Any suggestions?

:duh: Turns out I picked up the wrong Lash Injection--it's the Pinpoint kind. Need to exchange.
  35. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Okay peeps, I have my beauty blog up and running. I will updating posts frequently. I have two posts up already and I'll be updating the site with widgets, plugins and other content frequently.

The name is Getting Pretty Beauty Blog. http://getting-pretty.com

This is the reason why I created the blog:

Just to let you know I'll be reviewing products and brands, showing swatches of products, showcasing new products/collections, a look book with celebrity looks from the present and vintage celebrity looks, and listing my favorite products.

I would like to start a section or critique athletes skincare and beauty regime; the products they use. I would start with figure skaters this fall.
    oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

That"s fantastic, Topaz! Thanks for sharing this- I look forward to exploring it!
  37. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

That's what I use. It's great. :swoon:

I also really want to buy Prada Candy.
  38. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I have a sample of Prada Candy. I like it every once in a while but I have my eye Jo Malone's Blue Agava and Cacao right now. A really unique scent.

But if you like Candy, you may like Jo Malone's Bluebell. Very candy-like and sugary.

topaz, thanks for sharing your blog. Look forward to reading.
  39. FiveRinger

@ Cyn---I love Lola and Daisy both by Marc Jacobs. I have seen gift sets of both at TJ Maxx and Marshalls in the last couple of weeks for $49.99. Lola has been there consistently over the past few months.

Mother's Day is coming and that is the best time to get coveted gift sets in the department stores (and of course, Christmas). Let us know if your sister takes the hint.
  40. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Topaz, your blog looks great. Can't wait to check it out more when I have some time. The layout is really cute!

Thanks for the rec, IA. I'm not normally a sweet smell person - I HATE candles that smell like food, for example - but I like Candy. I'm on a perfume kick, though. I was playing at Sephora today and am in love with Love, Chloe and Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb :swoon:

I have to throw in a rec for Tarte's Lipsurgence Lip Tint. I have extremely sensitive lips that chap at the thought of dry air and I can't stand the way most lipsticks feel on my lips. But this one is sooo full of moisture and feels great. Plus, it's organic, vegan, no sulfates, parabens, bla bla bla....

I also got a bunch of Nail Polish recently, but what else is new. :shuffle: OPI Pink Friday & Super Bass Shatter from the Nikki Minaj Collection, Kiss me on my Tulips, Did You 'Ear about Van Gogh and I've got a Herring Problem from the Holland collection and a pretty L'Oreal color.