Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Dec 15, 2010.

1. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Yep, one thing - for now anyway. I still have days where I'm choosing between brushing my teeth or brushing my hair. Sigh.

At least I have been moisturizing. I think that has greatly contributed to the happiness of my skin.

2. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Ah shoot. I had your mascara blog link saved somewhere Veronika, and now I can't find it. Could you repost it? I have to purchase some new mascara after a delightful bout of conjunctivitis. (gross.)

ETA: Never mind, I found it.

3. paulac

paulac Active Member

Got some samples of the new Lancome serum "Visionnaire" today - looking forward to trying it!

4. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

:cheer: I'm glad you found it. I still need to make some improvements (like adding some pictures), so I haven't really started publicizing it yet. But here's the link for anyone who is interested: http://tracyluvsmascara.blogspot.com/

I was at Target tonight with my husband and he asked me if I'll ever have enough makeup. I just gave him a blank stare and said no. :rofl:

Then he ended up buying a Sonia Kashuk eyeliner brush for me because he just wanted to get out of there. :lol:

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:rofl: My collection is fairly small and my husband asks me that too.

6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I could've bought a esthetician-sized makeup case for super cheap the other day. But then I realized that it would be going waaaay overboard. :lol:
    I honestly don't use much more than concealer, mascara, eyeshadow, lip gloss, and occasionally loose powder. I gotta have my mascara though, and going without eye makeup for the past few days has made me feel naked.
    Where I do go crazy is with the hair products. At one point I literally had a store in my cabinet. It was ridiculous. My friend had me cover him in all my hair products and then take photos of him looking as if he OD'd on hair care. Only then did I realize that I had gone too far.

7. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

You want to enhance with makeup not detract. My fear of just doing one thing would be that it would detract or draw attention to that one area of your face and look unbalanced. That being said, this is what I would do if I were you: (I am a new mom and this is my 'time crunch' routine.)

Swap your moisturizer for a tinted one. Then add a sweep of powder blush to the apples of your cheeks (pink or peach/coral depending on your skin color) and then add a matching lipgloss.

The tinted moisturizer will even out your complexion without adding time as you are moisturizing already. Adding the blush and lipgloss will finish the look and only take about 30 extra seconds to do.

IMO, adding mascara would be great too but it is a bit of a time suck. If you have extra time beyond adding blush and lipgloss, considering curling your eyelashes. It adds a little flair to the eye area and doesn't take long to do once you get the hang of it.

Good Luck!

skateycat and (deleted member) like this.
  8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

If your lips are pale or the same color as the rest of your face, I would say tinted lip gloss. To me, nothing can bring a face to life like some lip color. It's super quick to apply, you don't have to be as exact as you would need to be with lipstick, and if you use something like Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Shimmer it will actually have a beneficial effect on your lips. And it's cheap!

If your lips have good natural color then the one thing I'd recommend is a quick eye pencil to define your eyes. You don't have to be as precise as you would with eye liner, and you absolutely can wear it without mascara for subtle but effective definition.

And if you're very ambitious, I'd do both - eye pencil + lip gloss. You can easily do both in under 2 minutes. And as a bonus, you don't need to remove eye pencil at the end of the day like you would mascara / shadow, and the lip gloss will come off with one wipe on a tissue, so there would be no additional time required at night to remove your "face."

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I second the tinted moisturizer suggestion. If there was one thing, OK two things that I would put on in terms of make-up it would be concealer and tinted moisturizer as bare minimum. If I had another minute, I'd throw on mascara and blush.

The key is to match the moisturizer and concealer to your skin tone. You may require help with that.

10. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I picked up Nivea's new Pure & Natural day moisturizer for normal/combo skin, and it seems to be working fairly well. I'm not nearly as shiny as I usually am by now. :rollin:

The gimmick is, it's 95% naturally sourced ingredients, and has aloe and argan oil in it. But it does have fragrance, although at least it smells better to me than the Aveeno moisturizer I tried earlier and returned. It's also in a jar, would prefer a tube, but I think I'm keeping it.

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I second the eye pencil. I wear glasses and my eyelashes are pretty sparse so mascara doesn't do a whole lot for me, but some smudgy eye pencil can do a lot. And it's easy too!

Well, if I do just ONE thing, it's eyebrow pencil because I practically have no eyebrows. :p I guess I'm lucky that I have very even skin tone so I don't usually go for foundation or concealer. It really depends on how you look.

12. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Um just wanted to say that I decided to go with CoverGirl's professional super thick lash mascara thanks to Veronika's blog, and I've been really pleased with it. Thanks! :cheer2:

We also got some new fall/winter eyeshadows and lipsticks in this week, so my makeup collection just went through the roof because I bought 8 new eyeshadows and 2 lipsticks....:shuffle:

13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have a question. I have pretty sensitive skin. School starts Wednesday and I'm driving back downstate tomorrow.

I've gotten my eyebrows threaded in the past (once), and it looked great but it hurt a lot and left some irritated bumps for a few days. I never do as good a job myself, so I wanted to get something done again, but I also don't want those irritated bumps on Wednesday.

I've never had my eyebrows waxed. Would it leave the same thing? Is it a better option? What do you prefer?

14. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Threading shouldn't leave you with bumps. Someone didn't do it correctly. Waxing shouldn't either, though you might be red.

I would try threading again. It's a cleaner look anyway.

15. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

YMMV but for me threading hurt significantly less the second time around, and you may get less irritation too.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I prefer waxing. Done in a few minutes. The trick is to get the wax just the right temperature so it's the right consistency (like honey) to get the job done without burning the skin.

17. michiruwater

Thanks guys. I think I'll try threading again and maybe try to get there tomorrow so if there's irritation it's mostly gone by Wednesday. But I am curious about trying waxing at some point. I would never want to it myself though, so I hope that the people you pay for it know how to do it well, as you said IA...

18. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I've never tried threading, so I can't compare the two, but I have my brows waxed every six weeks, and I love the result. It`s nice that you`re in and out in 10 minutes too! Don`t go if you have to be somewhere after, though, because there is quite a bit of redness....for me, anyway.

19. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I've only gotten them waxed, and it didn't bother me much. I have sensitive skin, too, and it just left me red for a few hours. Two of my cousins do threading and prefer it, so I don't know. Your mileage may vary, I guess!

20. michiruwater

Threading didn't take terribly long when I did it :) I just went to the stand at the mall. And then went and bought some cute clothes... sounds like a good plan. ;)

21. skateycat

I am glad I ordered three pairs of the Claudia Alan frames.

I got the Esme frames as prescription sunglasses and the Sisley frames as my every day prescription glasses.

I wasn't going to get the Sisleys because I thought they'd be too big for my face, but the person who answers their email said they would be good for my face shape. Now I can't wait to get them back from my eye doctor - yay!

22. skateycat

I got a spa facial at my favorite spa and asked what they had in the way of tinted moistureizer. I really liked this product by Colorscience, but they want $50! Wow! Makeup is an expensive hobby! :) I may get it anyway because I liked how it looked on my face.

23. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Does anyone (Cyn) know when Dillards or Macy's does their gift with purchase for Lancome? Belk is doing theirs now and I'm not at the point where I need more Genefique. But I will be soon.

I think. I can't tell how full the stinking bottle is at any given time!

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Macy's just had their GWP (gift with purchase) - it finished a week or two before Belk's began (which was this past Sunday). I have no idea whether or not Dillard's has already done their Summer GWP - your best bet is to call the Lancôme counter there and ask .

My :sekret: (well, not so :sekret: after what I'm about to post) works at one of the Belk stores here in GA, and I saw her this past Sunday when I went to pick up my purchase/GWP. While I was there, I asked her when Belk/Lancôme was going to have their Fall GWP (in the past it was usually done during October), and she said that they're not having one this year :fragile: :wuzrobbed. I don't know if that was a decision on the part of TPTB at Belk's, or if Lancôme decided not to have one this year, but since most if not all of the summer GWPs have come and gone, again, it's best to check directly with the Lancôme counter at your favorite department stores to confirm it - don't rely on TIIC (aka The Idiots In Charge :saint: ) at the stores themselves for an accurate, knowledgable and reliable answer

25. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Threading to me always feels like a porcupine being rolled over my forehead. It's so unpleasant. But it's gotten me better results than waxing and I've been using Retin-A so I can't wax anyways. I get a couple small bumps afterwards, but nothing like the bumps waxing left me with sometimes!

26. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Does threading get all of the fine blond hairs as well as the actual stray eyebrow hairs?

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That's why I like it so much - it gives me a smooth brow like when I get it waxed. Personally, I pluck out the big/dark hairs with tweezers, then go back over it with threading to get the fine hairs (I do it myself). I find this lessens the pain quotient significantly.

28. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ may I ask how you do the threading by yourself? The girl in the mall uses her teeth!

29. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

30. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Oh I am definitely going to give threading a try. I've never been good at plucking my eyebrows and I hate having to pay for waxing.
    And I also noticed the threading lady at my mall used her teeth. Ew.