Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Carry on... :saint:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

'cuz we don't like you either! ;)

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

love the title though i dont feel so pretty from this burn from "hope in a jar"

4. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Ugh I hate Hope in a Jar, the smell is nasty!

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one who thought it smelled weird! Everyone I know raves about Philosophy. My sister uses their cleanser and it's the only thing that doesn't strip her skin now that she's on Accutane.

6. my little pony

Coty just bought Philosophy

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I found an interesting article on skin creams and their effectiveness on WebMD that details the chemicals in several of them and how they work:

Hope In A Jar: Do Skin Creams Work?

I've never tried HIAJ as Lancome's anti-aging serums and moisturizers (Génifique and High Resolution 3X) work really well with my skin type, but the article was quite informative.

I've also come up with a skincare regimen for cleansing and exfoliating that seems to work really well (and isn't overly expensive) before applying serums and moisturizers:

1. I use my regular cleanser (Skin Genesis by L'Oreal - $5.99 USD)

2. Every other night, I use the Neutrogena Wave (the vibrating thing with disposable pads - $9.99; CVS has their own brand which costs a bit less) as an exfoliator. I rinse the pad of the Neutrogena cleanser, and apply a nickel-sized dollop of Clinique's 7-day facial scrub ($18.00 for 3.4 ounces, which lasts about 3 months) and use that on my face and neck, then rinse with warm water.

3. Using a cotton ball, I apply a coat of Derma36's Glycolic Acid Skin Resurfacing Solution ($15.00 for 4 ounces) on my face and neck and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water.

From then, I do the rest of my usual nighttime routine (toner, Génifique, eye and facial serums, and eye and facial moisturizers).

After two weeks, the difference was really noticeable - my skin has a healthier glow, and the addition of the glycolic acid used in conjunction with the Génifique and the serums boosted the reduction of fine lines around my eyes and forehead. I've also noticed that my pores are a LOT smaller than they used to be.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was an article about a lot of the new anti-aging products that have come on the market in the past year or so, and Olay's Pro-X (not to be confused with their Regenerist line) is getting rave reviews. The way it works is similar to that of Lancome's Génifique product line, and while the Olay Pro-X is pricier than a lot of non-department store skincare lines, it's definitely less expensive than Lancome, Lauder, Clinique, etc. I think you can also get a coupon at Olay's website for several dollars off on the Pro-X products, which definitely helps. The starter kit (containing a smaller amount of each of the products in that line) for the Olay Pro-X is around $60.00, but I have no idea how much the regular size of each of those cost.

For mascara lovers, Lancome's new mascara, Hypnose Drama, is A-MA-ZING. Their most recent gift with purchase contained a larger than normal sample tube of it, and I absolutely LOVE it :swoon:

8. my little pony

where does this derma36 stuff come from?

9. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I found it at CVS, though I'm sure several stores carry it. I thought the brand name of it was Derma 36, but it's part of C. Booth's product line.

If you can't find it at CVS, Ulta, etc., it's available at Amazon

Hope that helps :)

ETA: I found C. Booth's product line on Amazon here.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am intrigued by this derma36 thing.

11. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Cyn,will have to check into that Lacome mascara,I am a mascara lover.I usually use Maybeline.I love Almay eyeliner too.

12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I stumbled on it by accident while looking for a glycolic acid peel one of my friends uses. I never found that, but I saw the Derma36 and decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a great find, and one I highly recommend.

If you have really sensitive skin, it can burn if it's left on too long or used too often, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Right now I'm on the hunt for a good home micro-dermabrasion kit as there's no way I can afford to have it done at a spa. Lancome has a home set, but it's almost $100, and I already spend too much money on Lancome products :rofl: . The thing I'm doing with the WAVE and the Clinique exfoliator works great for the "first step," but I need to find a good Vitamin C serum to apply afterwards.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for something like that that won't break the bank?

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Nah, I have the skin of a hippo. Will ask around about the micro-dermabrasion kit.

This is the info found on the Internets: http://www.skinabrasion.net/home-kit.html

14. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link :) Am going to do more detailed research on the products listed in it and see if I can find one that works.

15. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I got it with my last Lancome purchase too, and I love it! Speaking of Lancome products, thanks for raving about them, Cyn, the Genefique and mosturizers are fantastic, and my skin is :swoon:

16. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Glad that you liked my recommendation about the Genifique - I'd have been :eek: :slinkaway if you'd spent all that $$$ and didn't like it.

It's amazing stuff, non? My skin looks better now at 43 than it did ten years ago. It's a bummer that it's so expensive, but it's worth every penny and then some. I look at it this way - if I spend the money on it, I won't have the money to spend on non-essential food/snacks/candy :lol: .

Speaking of Genifique, I'm not sure about all department stores, but right now Belk (a department chain located in the Southeast) has a seven day sample trial pack of Genifique. They used to give customers only one packet, but since it takes 7 days to see results, they got smart and decided to do it in one-week batches so you'll see the difference in how your skin looks. It's not something the sales consultants will advertise, but if you ask about it, they should give it to you if they have it in their sample stock.

For the most part, I cannot stand Lancome's fragrances (they all seem to smell like something my great-grandmother would wear), but they have a new version of Trésor called "Trésor In Love" that's IMO the best parfum they've come out with in years. They're promoting the hell out of it and have tons of VOCs (vial on cards) in stock. Last week when I was shopping (I got MiniCyn a Dual Finish powder foundation as one of her Chanukah presents), my Lancome :sekret: loaded me up with several of them, along with a bunch of other goodies.

One of the things I collect (I guess that's the right word) are parfum miniatures, and I've been trying to find minis for Estee Lauder's White Linen Fresh Breeze, Lauder's Pleasures (original recipe), and Cacharel's Anais Anais, to no avail. Does anyone know of a reputable website to order perfumes, especially miniatures? I've seen a ton of fragrance websites, but I have no idea if they're legit or if the scents they carry are imitations.

17. softlip

softlip New Member

FSU seems to provide unlimited wisdom backed-up by facts, so I have a (maybe stupid question): Is it harmful to rinse your face (or generally skin) with distilled water?

I know that we were told in chemistry class that we must not drink it, but I remembered that I was always impressed how clean the test tubes looked after rinsing them with distilled water. Yesterday I actually recalled why we shouldn't drink it: Basically it deprives the body of minerals.
    So does distilled water has the same effect on the skin surface? If so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

The background is: I recently moved to Tokyo and my skin went kind of downhill which is unusual, because during my previous stays it always became better. The difference is that this time I'm living in an large apartment complex in the middle of the city. I thought that maybe the water quality here is not the best.
    Then I discovered, that destilled water has raving reviews at @cosme (a Japanese website similar to Make-up Ally.) I started using it about three weeks ago and am now at my second bottle. I keep the bottle in the fridge. I just pour the water all over my face after taking a shower or when I only wash my face I soak a cotton pad and wipe of the tab water. No changes to my skin which can't have any other reason (food, recovering from flu etc.)
    But I noticed that my skin immediately after rinsing is brighter/whiter. And the application of my usual cream feels different in a hard-to-describe way. It dosen't get sucked in instantly but smears for a moment before it suddenly disappears into the skin.

18. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I did a quick google search, and while tap water doesn't necessarily harm the skin, distilled water can be healthier. From what I read, one of the benefits of using a toner as part of your skin care regimen is to remove the pollutants that are in regular tap water.

Overall, the concensus was that if you don't mind the extra $$ or additional step of acquiring distilled water, go for it.

Do you have a water filter on your spigot (like one of those Pur things)? If you do, that should suffice perfectly.

19. softlip

softlip New Member

Some month ago I was on the same quest and after reading a lot of ingredient lists and reviews I ended up buying the Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum by Avalon Organics.

It has a really nice texture and I liked applying it, BUT: this one tingled quite a bit (I think a bit of a tingle is not unusual for Vitamin C serums) and the pink patches on my cheek got a lot pinker than I was confortable of. My face felt sensitive as a whole, but the skin expect of my cheekbones looked really good (even, bright and plump). Can't tell about sun spots etc. because I stopped using it after a week.
    The problem is that I think my skin reacts sensitive to Vitamin C products in general. I once had the Bodyshop Vitamin C cream (much smaller Vitamin C concentration) which felt odd too, and I distantly remember a sample of the Helena Rubinstein Vitamin C capsules of past days which I didn't liked either.

I tried to give the serum to my mother (in her 60s, Asian skin) who tried it an her hand and it stung badly. No surprise here, after all I had to get the Vitamin C sensitivity from someone and she has really sensitive skin anyway. Next victim was my MIL (in her 50s, European skin) who applied it to her face and it burned so much that she had to wash it off.

Finally it ended up with me again and I use it now once or twice a week on my neck, décolleté and my hands and there i really like it. The skin gets almost instantly smooth, even and almost radiant.

So, sorry for my long ramblings and maybe it sounds more of a non-recommendation, but I think the serum is worth a try, if you dont't have sensitive skin. It's reasonably priced (IMO), has good ingredients and comes in an air-tight pump bottle. I purchased it in an organic supermarket. I just would make sure to get a sample before committing to it.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Vitamin C is an acid, aka ascorbic acid so it will sting in sufficient concentration and some people may be sensitive to it.

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Distilled water doesn't have all the minerals in regular tap water that dries to a hard crust in our lab glassware. That's pretty much it. I wouldn't have any qualms about putting it on my face, but as a rule I don't drink anything from a lab. :lol:

If the tap water is very mineralized, I can see how putting it on your skin could be bad for it. It's amazing how much crust ends up in our glassware if we don't rinse it out with deionized water! :eek:

softlip and (deleted member) like this.
  22. softlip

softlip New Member

Thanks for the fast answer!

Removing pollutants was my reasoning behind it, too. I'm only afraid now that it may also remove beneficial minerals from my skin as well, if such a thing exists.

Since the $$ of distilled water is more like 1$ and thus about the same price of a small (overpriced) bottle of mineral water, I may do the experiment and rinse with mineral water for a while :COP: (Aren't there luxury spas that offer some "Bathing in Evian-Water-Treatments"?) Anyway, it'll be easier because i can drink it up before it goes bad.

Or I just try the water out of our Birta pitcher, but I don't know what my long-suffering SO will say when he eventually catches me pouring a glass of water on my own face :lol:

Anyway, thanks for providing me with some new ideas!

Yeah, that's one reason I choose that Avalon serum. I thought that Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate may be less harsh, but it's the same since it becomes ascorbic acid eventually on the skin.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Have I been out of the loop way too long, or did Laura Ashley recently stop making their fragrances?

I used to wear Laura Ashley #2 and was interested in getting another bottle of it, but their website doesn't have fragrances (other than "home" fragrances) listed anywhere on it.

Also, I'm in a zillioon depressions because I finally found a store in Atlanta that carries Chanel No.19, which I adore, but at $90.00 a bottle, it's wayyyy out of my budget allowance.

Even more tempting (and worse), they have a fabulous set if parfum miniatures (I collect minis of parfums), but the set is an outrageous $110.00.

:fragile: :wuzrobbed:

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

While distilled water may remove some of the minerals beneficial to the skin, the products you use will most likely replenish them.

You might want to try this product from Lancôme:

Tonique Douceur

Here's the description from the website:

When I was in my teens/early 20s (before I had to start worrying 24/7 about aging and wrinkles), I used this all the time. Like the description says, it's extremely refreshing, especially after cleansing the face. Depending on your cleansing regimen, it might not work (it's not something you would use in place of soap/cleanser and water), but if you use an all-over makeup remover (something like Lancome's Huile Douceur) to apply afterwards.

It comes in a regular bottle requiring a cotton ball or pad to apply, but I used to put it in a spritzer and spray my face/neck/décolleté - it's especially wonderful to use in hot weather as it has a wonderful cooling effect (plus it smells wonderful :swoon: ).

25. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

The Olay Regenerist mention reminds me of their fantastic eye makeup remover that I no longer can find. $*(#&@# The website still has it, so I assume it's just a weird fluke that I can't find it in stores. In the meantime, Marcelle's remover isn't too bad. Better than the Caudalie cleansing water I was using.

My mom has benefitted greatly from secrets shared on here, including Genefique. She and dad retired, so she's not keen to spend money on it (though she really likes it, and still splurges for a few other Lancome products when she can). She's used Olay a lot over the years, so I'll have to let her know about the good reviews for Pro-X. She's currently using an Avon product that's not bad.

Speaking of Avon, I switched to Clinique's All About Eyes from Avon's 30+ line (I round up because I was a smoker), and I have to say I'm not all that impressed, even if it feels nice on. :p I wasn't especially enamoured with Avon's skincare line that I've tried, other than the eye cream. I found myself quickly going back to Vichy. And can I just sing the praises of Vichy's Aqualia Thermal Light cream? Really, anything by Vichy is A-1 with me. I'm going to try their Antiox cream next.

26. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Ooh, just got a coupon for 20% off at Ulta, including "prestige" makeup and skincare! Usually they're excluded from all coupons. I've been eyeing a D+G perfume, hmmmm.

I'm so excited to go to Ontario tomorrow! My parents brought me a bottle of Bioderma Sensibio makeup remover from France in October, and I've gone through about 80% of it already. It's amazing. No U.S. stores carry it, and it's a PITA to order online. But ... Shoppers Drugmart has it! And I've got the last bottle on hold. :cheer2:

27. my little pony

i used to use the regenerist makeup remover too! now i use jojoba oil

28. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

My SIL gave me a $50 dollar gift certificate for Sephora yesterday for Christmas.

Let the shopping begin. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :cheer:

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I've been using Purity by philosophy and just love it. It takes everything off, eye make up too in one move and doesn't dry skin out. And since it's something I rinse off, I am not that concerned with some of the crap (parabens) that are in it.

30. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I've been using Sensibio for about a year. It is amazing.

Just a hint. I've never seen the larger bottle (500ml) at any of the 5 Shopper's in my area, including the ones with a Beauty Boutique. All they seem to carry is the 250ml for $22.00.

If you get a chance, check out a Rexall drug store. That's the only place I've been able to find the 500ml. bottle. At least in my city. It sells for $30.00. A much better deal.