Glamour Puss 2: No recession here

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Veronika, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

The early bird gets the worm...

I have a Sephora order coming today. I got an Urban Decay palette for only $10 with my gift card and a markdown. :cheer:

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Well, early bird, good choice of titles! :)

Back to doggie bathing. I put Cooper in the kitchen sink. He sits and looks at me like I'm torturing him, and he shakes. I hate to bathe him :(, he looks so pitiful. But, I figure it's easier for him if I do it rather than a groomer. He's a Cavalier, so he doesn't get trimmed, just bathed and the dew claws cut. He walks 2 miles a day with me so the foot claws stay naturally short. And if the bathing isn't bad enough, the blow drying is :eek:. I have to do it though, because he has a double coat and it takes so long to dry.

Do we need a glamor Puss & Woof?

3. fan

fan Well-Known Member

omg omg omg. for those of you near/in NYC, you must RUN (not walk) to the cosmetics market on 17 East 37th Street (212) 725-3625. (b/w madison & 5th) i nearly hyperventilated when i walked in. Stila lipglosses for 3.99, clinique facewash for 2.99, bobbi brown, philosophy, etc etc. I'm assuming they get all of last season's colours, but i couldn't care less. i left with two full bags for $40.
    i'm so happy.
    go!

4. cruisin

WOW! I should tell my daughter, she works in that area.

5. fan

fan Well-Known Member

dry shampoo - does anyone have one that is dark enough for thick, dark brown (almost black) hair? whenever i use even the dark haired formula, it still looks like i've put baby powder on my hair in an attempt to make me look older for a school play.

thanks!

6. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I don't, sorry. :( Cake, a Canadian company makes a brunette one, but it's not perfect. Can you check with a salon?

Maybe the suggestion of a translucent powder would help you? When I used it recently, it was as if I'd put nothing in my hair to be brushed out. But it did work. Mind you, I'm dark blonde, but I do notice regular dry shampoos when over-applied or not brushed out well enough.

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I've actually been avoiding these threads (I mean how much more stereotypical can I get :D), but I have a question that needs answering - WHAT do y'all do for your feet during the winter so they don't get all dry and rough?

8. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

:shuffle: I don't. :p

But I hear using a thick cream and wearing some kind of sock to bed helps. Bliss makes socks just for this, as well as gloves for hands. (I lost my Body Shop pair. :wuzrobbed:)

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks, Andora.

Sometimes I use Vaseline, but that can be messy. And I'm also too cheap to spend the $$$ on those creams - they can get pricey.

Guess I'd better shell out some dough, then...

10. Auntie

Auntie New Member

Are you talking about the heel mess? The only thing that works for me is to use a pumice stone on my heels every single time I take a shower. Or you could try a hot pink ped egg. :lol:

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I have that and the generic CVS version, which has a long handle attached to it as well as three attachments for sloughing, cleaning and buffing. I don't have time to do it every day like one should.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  12. cruisin

Vaseline doesn't really get absorbed by the skin, it just sits on top. Use a penetrating cream and put socks on, as Andora suggests. You should also get a pumice stone or foot rasp (maybe that egg shaped one). Use it to slough off dry skin in the shower and then moisturize. If you put a moisturizer on right after a shower, you trap in the moisture (from the shower) and the heat of the shower opens the pores. Just be careful walking around with slippery feet! :lol: Another thing you can do is get an occasional pedicure - there are lots of walk-in places that only charge $20. If you only go every 4/6 weeks it's not too expensive. And if you don't get colored polish it lasts.

Here are a few inexpensive foot specific creams:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...ram=philosophy_soul_owner_e&CAWELAID=61238803

http://www.walgreens.com/store/cata...rod3148957&navCount=1&navAction=push-product?

http://out.com/topfive/product.asp?...frgl_568960&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3147790

13. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Pedi-Egg!!! :respec:

14. Auntie

Auntie New Member

Honestly, it takes me about twenty seconds to use the pumice stone. I leave it right in the shower. I figure my feet are soaking as I take a shower so I just give my heels a few swipes before I get out. Your heels won't look great right away, but eventually you should get the mess off.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks, ladies :respec:

cruisin, I wanna get the Soul Owner Foot Cream - it has mood enhancers!!! :inavoid:

One of my resolutions is to take better care of my feet. I want to wear sandals and flip-flops this summer, but it ain't happening if the dogs ain't alright NOW...

IMO, feets are the least attractive part of a person. I obsess over bad dogs, especially my own.

16. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I've never, ever scrubbed at my heels. I'm not afraid of or offended by feet, but treat them more like a tool. I should probably invest in a pedicure pretty soon and maybe not have such hard heels. :p

Rex, even that standard Nivea jar cream ($8 in Canada?) on your feet would be just tickety boo under those socks. And I believe it's odorless and not so girlie, if that's a concern. Actually, the Body Shop has a hemp hand cream that's AMAZING and might be a good idea on your feet as well. I'm a huge fan of it.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

My ex had heels like that guy from the Fantastic Four - you know, the brick one? It was like sleeping with rocks sometimes. Mine are a bit better but not by much. I do see a lot of neglected heels in warm weather.

I don't mind girlie so much as packaging is concerned, but not that French Whore perfumey thing.

18. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Make sure you don't use a peppermint foot cream. They're marketed to the hilt because they smell good, but the mint actually sucks out the moisture from your skin.
    Use something unscented. My pharmacist recommended Glaxal Base cream and it's fantastic.

19. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

:lol: Definitely try Nivea or some kind of basic cream like that. It's a good catch all cream to have around in general. Which reminds me, I need some. :D

20. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

1. The Body Shop's shea butter scrub in the shower at night.

2. The Body Shop's aloe body butter immediately after the shower, and put on socks.

3. Whatever lotion I grab in the morning (either Lavanilla body butter or something from The Body Shop--often their aloe lotion--both of those are a not as thick as the body butter I use at night).

21. silverstars

silverstars New Member

I've had this problem too. I have this Bumble and Bumble stuff that works pretty well, but it's not perfect. It's just the plight of us really dark-haired people...hair companies tend to forget about us.

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Skin recycles itself pretty regularly - you'd only have to start scrubbing a few weeks before summer. :)

My roommate swears by L'Occitane's foot cream. It's on the pricey side but...yeah. She swears by it. :lol:

Socks definitely help, but be careful. My feet are apt to get itchy when they're socked all the time (fungus! Nooo!), so I personally try to avoid socks whenever it's warm and my feet sweat. My bf is constantly wearing socks and his feet are fine, but he only wears wool, which wicks away sweat. Cotton absorbs sweat and it sticks next to your skin. Not good.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  23. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Rex. I use vasoline (and a lot of it) and then put on 2 pairs of socks and go to bed. When I wake up I have the softest feet.

24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the kind of sloughing (is that the right word) that they do when you get your pedicure became illegal in PA as of 1/09 so a pedicure wouldnt be as helpful as it used to be

I'm sure there are salons still doing it but I would be leery about a salon that wasnt concerned getting fined

25. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

26. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

27. cruisin

Yeah, me too. Will it give me "happy feet"? :lol:

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:D Happy feet are smooth feet!

29. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

My feet have the same issue as yours Anita.. I've found that bamboo socks are fantastic! I got a bunch at Walmart (their George Line has them at a decent price) I highly recommend! They're the only socks that don't make my feet feel like they're suffocating :lol:

30. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

No doubt most people will find this horribly gross, but... I deal with the hard skin on my heels by having a good soak in a hot bath and then simply scraping at it with my fingernails. I have a foot file that I use at the end to get it more evenly smooth, but it's by far the most effective way I've found for really getting into the deep layers of it.

And if they're really dry I slap on a bit of Lush Dream Cream after, but that's my answer to everything :p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.