Glacier Falls FSC Bids for ISU Senior B in USA

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by crzesk8dad, Jan 26, 2012.

1. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

From Ice Skating International (web blog):

The Glacier Falls FSC has responded to U.S. Figure Skating's request for bids to hold ISU Senior events as part of an established non-qualifying competition. The goal is to have a less elite ISU competition than Skate America held in the U.S. annually. These types of competitions are known as Senior Bs and in Europe include competitions such as Nebelhorn, Andrej Nepela, and Finlandia Trophy. The U.S. competitions will take place in the August-September timeframe of this year.
    Glacier Falls has bid to include ISU Senior events in Singles, Pairs and Dance as part of their annual Summer Classic competition that is held in Anaheim, CA in early August. This years dates for the Summer Classic are August 2-5, 2012. The ISU Senior events will be open to U.S. Figure Skating competitors and Senior competitors from ISU member federations.

As described by U.S. Figure Skating, the purpose of hold these events in the U.S. is to increase opportunities for U.S. athletes, coaches and officials to participate in an international event without the expense of international travel and increase the opportunity for more U.S. athletes to earn ISU World standing points and or seasons best scores. In order compete at ISU championships (Europeans, Four Continents and Worlds) skaters must meet minimum requirements for points scored in an ISU International competition. The Senior B will be an opportunity for U.S. skaters to earn these points without having to travel overseas. The 2012 Senior B will be the first such competition held in North America. Skate Canada has not held such a competition, though one was planned for last year, but then cancelled.

The list of clubs that submitted bids has not been released, but it is our understanding from "asking around" that Glacier Falls was the only club in the Pacific Section to bid, and that Skating Club of New York bid from the Eastern Section.

U.S. Figure Skating will be reviewing the bids the first two seeks of February. The location of the competition must forwarded to the ISU by March 1, 2012 to get on the schedule for the 2012-13 season.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

4. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

This can only be good news for me, because the events should be held in Ontario (my preference) or in Anaheim (close enough), Right?

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Or in NYC. ;) (in conjunction with SC of NY's Middle Atlantics club competition in mid-September)

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That's great news -- I hope USFSA goes ahead with both of them.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It will go a long way to helping out skaters in North America who can't travel to Europe for the current Senior Bs.

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oooh, I would love this. Of course, it would be great either way.

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yes, please. (Both SoCal and NY.)

About frigging time.

thankyouverymuch

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Also:

Honey Badger on the roster of the GF event, please. :D

thankyoyverymuch

11. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Sounds great, I hope this works out. :) Would U.S. entries be limited in each event, and would they have to be invited to compete by U.S. Figure Skating, or could any U.S. skater who wanted to meet the minimum score enter?

12. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Isn't this the same weekend of Indy Challenge?

13. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Indy Challenge's sanction doesn't appear to be complete yet (it's not listed on the USFS events page yet). It's usually the final weekend of July, or the first weekend of August... depending on the other major competitions, and the downtown Indy convention schedule.

Can the US even enter more than 3 pairs at the Senior B?

Assuming the US (and any country) can't, I don't imagine it will be much of a concern if both are held on the same weekend. I think all of the senior pairs are coached by teams, so one coach (or one half) of the coaching team can always go with a pair to the Senior B, and the other coach (or half) of the coaching team can go to Indy Challenge. US Figure Skating could have monitors at both events for pairs.

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Reading about the "space crunch" with all the talented juniors moving up to the Senior GP, Senior B events take on added importance. It might be a skater's only chance in front of an international channel before 4cc or worlds!

Any word on this?

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The timing might make it eligible as a competition where skaters can qualify the GP minimum as well.

Anaheim is easy to access transportation-wise.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

As for the entries being limited, it depends entirely on the organiser.

As for your second question, skaters have to be nominated by their respective federations in order to compete at any international events.

17. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

It would be amazing for me, living in San Diego! I already spectate that comp regularly. It'd be wonderful if it was made higher profile and attracted great international skaters training throughout N. America.

18. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Good luck for both bids!

19. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

I hope that at least one of these events gets accepted!

20. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I wonder if this might an option for Johnny Weir?

21. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Any updates on this?

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

My hearsay info is that a final decision hasn't been made yet (or at least not made public). And rumor is that there may be a 3rd host club that put in a bid, but I have no idea which one.

ETA that the published dates for Glacier Falls Summer Classic in Anaheim, CA, are Wednesday, August 1st - Sunday, August 5th, 2012, and Thursday, Sept. 6 - Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012 for Middle Atlantics in NYC.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  23. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I hope they make a decision soon. Some of us would like to make our summer vacation plans. :cool:

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is being discussed elsewhere, but the US senior B may end up being held in Salt Lake City (source).

25. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Interesting! Salt Lake City Figure Skating did an outstanding job hosting both 2011 Junior Nationals (held in December 2010) and 2011 Adult Nationals.

If it's held at the same complex, it's a beautiful and warm facility. Plenty of seating for a Senior B, without being too-large-for-it's-own-good.