Girls (HBO)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Has anyone watched this show? "New York Magazine" called the show revolutionary and put Lena Dunham on the cover.
  2. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I was thinking about picking it up. I was going to, then I saw a filmed review and now I'm undecided. I already am too much of a tv serie freak - plus I watch eating chocolate - to pick a new one up if it's not going to be something to remember.

-- I'd appreciate thoughts from those who are watching.
  3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I've watched but am older and wonder if I am being too tsk tsk tsk about it. I would say it is a cringe-inducing (the sex scenes, Hannah's job interview) unflinching look at young women who have flocked to NYC after college. It can be funny. And I like these "girls" because they are out there trying to launch their adult lives in NYC. The tsk tsk tsk is more about Hannah's sense that the world owes her something and is happy living off of her parents money until they cut her off. But it sounds like Lena Dunham has been acquainted with plenty of "Hannahs" from interviews I've read. I'm curious in other opinions, particularly from the under 35 crowd. I don't know if it is revoltionary television but so far I'm curious enough to watch the next episode.
  4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I really want to see this but don't have cable.
  5. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I happened to be in a hotel with free HBO this weekend, so I caught most of one episode (I think it was the first - the lead character's parents cut her off). I hadn't heard much about the show at all. Given what I saw, I fail to see how it would be considered revolutionary. Maybe it gets better / more interesting?
  6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yes--I think calling it revolutionary is a bit much. Sarah Jessica Parker and friends--despite having problems--had this fabulous shine to their lives in Manhattan. The women here are much younger, in Brooklyn and honestly--they are totally believable to me so far. And I would not call their lives fabulous--not by a long shot. I'm trying to find a show that is similar in tone but nothing comes to mind yet.
  7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I don't know if it's revolutionary, but I thought it was pretty great. I plan on watching the rest of the season.
  8. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

There is nothing similar. That's why I think it's being called revolutionary, even though it's not.

It is, however, exceedingly well written and although I cringe at times, I think we're supposed to. Also, that entitlement...I see it. It comes from doing everything you're supposed to do in terms of school, and then graduate to find that you can't get a job in what you want and life's not fair etc etc.

I'm a couple of years older, but I know people who are EXACTLY like some of those characters. It's pretty spot on!
  9. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I thought this was spot on:

http://gawker.com/5902308/small-girl-big-mouth-a-girls-recap
    The rest of the review is pretty scathing. I enjoy the show, but she makes a date rape joke during a job interview? REALLY? :duh:
  10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm a 24 year old single girl in Brooklyn.

I didn't like the first episode very much. The second, I liked a lot better. I get the entitlement and it bothers me. The whitewashing of the show also bothers me. That said, I'm enjoying it and I'm going to keep watching. Brilliant? I don't know but there's something really earnest and real that I very much enjoy. I can identify with a lot of it.
  11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I was trying to cut her some slack because she's lived so long on Mom and Dad's paycheck that she isn't experienced in interviews. But inexperience is a lame excuse for how she sabotaged herself--especially when the interview was going so well.
  12. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot to all of you for your opinions. - I'm afraid there's going to be one more tv serie on my watch list. Gotta stop at the store, I'm in the mood for Lindt double milk chocolate with cereal crisp.

I read last summer a serie about the young Sex and the City girls was going to premiere in 2012. They were going to tell us all about previews: how they met each other, how they landed their jobs and all that stuff. As apparently a third sequel was ruled out.
    This "Girls" is not it, right?

On a side note:

It's pretty astonishing a country would feel entitled to get what they want in life, given you did everything you were supposed to do, and at the same time stepping into a hospital would feel to the same country like a commodity only those who can afford are entitled to.
  13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Huh?
  14. Cruella

Cruella New Member

That, to me, was the funniest moment in an episode full of many other darkly funny moments. The awkwardness of her saying it, then realizing how bad it was, then trying to explain (and justify) the joke, was fantastic.

Though I'm older than the character (and maybe wiser, but that's arguable), I can totally relate to the kind of foot-in-mouth feeling that comes with having a bent sense of humour. :shuffle:
    Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

As far as the sex scenes---Thank God we don't see scenes of them having perfectly wonderful sex every time out. I applaud Dunham for making the bedroom more realistic...and funny.
  16. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I loved that moment too, because I said something pretty cringe worthy (although not nearly as bad as a date rape joke!) at a job interview, just last week :p I could totally relate.

I'm 26, and what I loved the most about this show is how it exposes just how entitled my generation is, without actually making it sympathetic. I like that Hannah has flaws.

I have a lot of friends in NYC, and I live in Boston, so I can relate to how much of a struggle it is to make it on your own, in an expensive city, in your 20's as a post grad, in a crappy economy. It took me two years to find a job after graduation, but instead of living off Mommy and Daddy, I waitressed for those two years. I had a lot of friends that lived off their parents, and it annoyed me to no end how entitled some of them were. I actually like Hannah a lot, and like many of my friends, I think she just needs a little visit from the self awareness fairy. ;)
  17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I did not know about the "Sex" prequel but this show is not about Carrie and company.
  18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I believe the prequel is this series: The Carrie Diaries.

I remember a discussion a while back of a SitC prequel but for some reason I though it was going to be a movie. Anyway, I don't know if it will be great or terrible, but I really like AnnaSophia Robb, who will play the young Carrie. She blew me away in Bridge to Terabithia.

As for Girls, I downloaded episode 1. Haven't watched it yet but am keeping an open mind.
  19. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I understand it's not. That's why I was wondering: "was this what reviews talked about when they mentioned Sex and the City prequel?". I would have been disappointed if it was.

Thanks for providing the title. So, they really went for pretty for the Carrie character. I guess it makes sense, even SJP wasn't SJP when younger and playing in Footloose.
  20. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Lena Dunham, creator and star of the show, made a big splash last year with her film Tiny Furniture - she's the reason I'm interested in the show. I didn't think it was trying to be "revolutionary", just funny and a bit biting about millenials.
  21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I assume the entitlement would extend to their parents health insurance.

I don't think we were supposed to sympathise with Hannah when she screwed up her job interview. I think we were supposed to cringe. I wonder if people think, because Lena Dunham is so young, she's also entitled. I think she's sending it up, but maybe not, or maybe people don't realise she is?

ITA. I didn't waitress but I'm still in a job that's way below what I studied for, still struggling to make ends meet, still looking at friends I graduated with 2.5 years ago living off their parents, not so much as waitressing, and it makes me angry.

A few others got great jobs after a year or two of living off their parents, because they had the time and resources to put into job hunting and unpaid internships. That annoys me merely on the basis that I'm jealous ;)

Overall I think the series is pretty realistic, and I like that.
  22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm glad people who are living in NYC and out of college and making their own way are posting.