Gift ideas for homebound friend?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Anita18, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

So my friend with pancreatic cancer is still kicking. :cheer: But he's super-weak from the chemo and can't go out much. And when the pain gets too bad, he locks himself in his room so he doesn't get snippy at his family. :(

We're trying to think of what we could send him to keep his mind busy and entertained. He can't even watch TV anymore because of the food commercials. They make him depressed over what he can't eat anymore. :(

Any ideas?

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

You can get him a tv series he likes on DVD so there won't be commercials.

Does he have any hobbies that he can do on the computer?

3. Anita18

Hmm, I know he used to play Minecraft, but I don't know if he still does. Not sure if he's into TV series (or whether he'd want them in French or English) but I will consult mutual friends and find out. :)

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Does he enjoy music? Perhaps some favorite music CDs and a radio/CD player?

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

You might consider a "get our of jail" day with appropriate equipment and support. Lots of hospice organizations offer them. He picks the activity, and they set up the rest. It's not inexpensive, so it might be a good group gift.

Another nice thing might be getting a go box from his favorite restaurant. Even if he has a small appetite, the smells and companionship might be a nice gift. Read Roger Ebert's book for inspiration on enjoying food without eating it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I like the ideas that people have already given in this thread. I'm assuming that all types of food/beverages are out given the limits you mentioned. One other thing I've sometimes given to friends in similar situation is a lap quilt or throw. I think the main thing that really helps in this situation is his knowing that you are thinking about him so even more than a gift a card with a nice handwritten message will be a wonderful gift. If you have any pictures that are meaningful to him or that you'd think he'd enjoy, send along copies (or even do a photobook on one of the sites like shutterfly or snapfish).

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Sorry for the stupid question, but can he write? Puzzle books might be a good distraction. There are so many different types that he's sure to find something.

ETA I don't know how weak he is.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am so sorry for your friend. I wonder if something simple, like flowers may cheer him up?

Can he still read? What about buying him books that may cheer him up, or be philosophical (if he has that inclination)?

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

An e-reader might be nice as he wouldn't have to go out to purchase a new book, and they're so light it's easy to hold even when feeling weak. (((Anita's friend)))

10. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

What about making him a cd of famous comedy routines? Anything that can get a smile would go a long ways and it helps with the pain. (I know a strange kind of an idea, but...)

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

An e-reader would also allow him to get audio books. That is a great Idea Lara.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Combine this with the audiobook idea and get him some Dave Barry audiobooks. They are SO much fun.

Praying for your friend.

13. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Unfortunately most newest ereader models don't tend to do audiobooks (the Nook Simple Touch doesn't and I don't believe the Kindle Paperwhite does) so that's something she'd have to look out for.

14. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

What about a subscription to netflix? He can watch online. Lots of tv, movies, series etc and no commercials.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  15. cruisin

Maybe a group of friends can chip in for an iPad.

16. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I know my mom really liked things like throws, which could help keep her warm. She especially liked ones that were very soft.

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

What about time? When I was home recovering from surgery, some friends came with food, had lunch or dinner w me and visited. Also had bought food that was great leftover (pizza, Chinese). The company was much appreciated.

18. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I could be wrong, but hasn't your friend returned home to France? That may make a difference as far as folk's suggestions.

19. backspin

backspin Active Member

I am currently undergoing chemo, & have days when i'm house bound. I find music very soothing/relaxing. A friend knitted me a prayer shawl, which is thick & warm, & which i carry with me almost everywhere. Notes & cards are very nice. If your friend is a spiritual person, one of the best things for me was when a friend stopped by to pray with me.

My boyfriend got me a Roku, which is like an apple tv but less expensive. It lets you watch streaming content on your tv. I can watch netflix on it (no commercials), & it comes with a remote so i don't have to get up to change what i'm watching. It also picks up pandora, which i love to have playing when i'm napping. Someone sent flowers once, & that was really appreciated too.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend!

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Prayers offered for you too, backspin.

Anita18, has your friend tried pumpkin? Two of my friends, when they were having chemo and couldn't eat much, loved it -- it tasted good and would stay down pretty well. I'm not talking straight pumpkin, I mean basically pumpkin pie without the crust. Like a pudding almost. (I'm sorry, I'm sleepy and not describing this very well.)

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

((((backspin))))

I hope you feel better soon. I hope the prayers work for you.

22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

backspin, my thoughts & prayers are with you , too!

23. cruisin

(((baskspin))) How much longer do you have chemo?

24. Anita18

((backspin)) It's so hard. I hope you get through it soon! Thanks for the tip about pumpkin Wyliefan. :)

Yes, my friend is with his parents in France. We wish we could drive over to see him, but most of us don't have he funds to hop on the next trans-Atlantic flight. :( Another friend says he definitely uses Hulu for TV stuff. The comedy routines are a good idea. I wonder if he appreciates some good ol' Eddie Izzard. :)

25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

(((backspin)))) -- I hope the chemo ends very, very soon.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Eddie Izzard does a lot of stuff in French and I had a French client who introduced me to some of his French routines. He (the client) found it hilarious! Hopefully your friend should enjoy it :)

I've missed the whole story, but what is your friend's prognosis? Fingers crossed for him.

(((Backspin))) I hope you have a speedy recovery!

27. Anita18

OMG Eddie Izzard does routines in French?!?!?! :swoon: A mutual friend did say he has trouble with English when he's on the chemo.

He's just on the chemo now. They're taking it one month at a time, basically. If/when the tumors get small enough, they will operate (we are all praying for surgery) but there is no guarantee when, if ever, that will happen. This is obviously not good with the depression either. :(

The same mutual friend liked my suggestion of buying him a World of Warcraft subscription. She thinks it's good that he can interact with others without having to tell them about his cancer. We'd have to figure out the best way to pay for it, considering only the European version (in Euros) will work on European servers...

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Paypal is international isn't it? Surely someone has an account.

29. Anita18

Mutual friend has an American Express card and she'd definitely rather use that. Free conversions.

So um...how does the server-jumping work? I'm trying to find answers on Battle.net/Blizzard's customer service page and they are NOT helpful. Question is, can we buy something off the UK store and have it work in the French version?

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Yep! Search on youtube for Eddie Izzard French. This is one of the clips - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1sQkEfAdfY - sorry, I'd link it properly but am on an old work computer that won't let me? :confused: Anyway, this was the clip my French client showed me :) It's mainly in English but there are others totally in French. I think you might need French and English to appreciate it though!