Getting rid of the "like"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by barbk, Apr 23, 2010.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

D's off in college, and I've noticed when we talk on the phone (or during spring break) that she's upped her use of "like" about 200%. It makes me a little crazy, and I'm worried that it is going to make it difficult for her to get professional jobs because it sounds so bad.

Any suggestions? Anyone who has managed to get rid of the likes or you-knows?

I can cope with all the weird abbreviations and slang in text messaging, but the rapid-fire likes drive me nuts.

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You have to make her aware of it. My dad did this with me when I went through my "like" phase, and while it still appears every now and then, I also catch myself doing it and cut it out.

Good luck!

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

When I was 12 I cured myself of the "ummm"s by simply pausing when I felt the ummm urge coming. As soon as the urge passed I continued in my speaking.

4. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

This is sort of the same, but different, but a few years ago I realized that my constant "lol"ing during posts was getting out of hand. I was on a forum that automatically converted "lol" into a laughing smiley face, and one day I realized that I was perhaps veering into the chatspeak too much when I made a post and it was dotted with a dozen little laughing faces. ;)

I agree that you can't cure someone of anything unless they're even aware they have a problem. Maybe tape one of her conversations that's peppered with "likes", and play it back to her and count how many times she says it.

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Try speaking to her in the same way and see if she'll be annoyed by it.

"Like.. how are you doing? Like... what are you doing now? Like... do you need me to pick you up? Like... when will you be home? Like ..that's nice. Like see you later. Like... I love you to. Like ...ok" :lol:

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

What I like (it's proper there!) to do with my students is stuff such as this:

"Ms PL, I have, like, a headache."

"Oh, it's not really a headache, then?"

"What?"

"You said you have like a headache, so not an actual headache then?"

Usually, they still don't get it and I have to explain it to them, but they seem to be more careful after that.

Karina1974 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have been trying to get my bf to stop using "you know" after the end of every sentence.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves and it drives me insane. I feel like it is a personal attack on me. So every time he does it I get really defensive and ask if he thinks I'm stupid and feels the need to constantly make sure I am following him. That usually stops him for a little while.

8. Nan

Nan Just me

Mine is, "Really?" (the word, not the poster here)

Someone asks me a question and after I answer it, they say, "Really?" I've started answering back, "No, I lied."

9. grimey

grimey bird is the word

The "like" phrase is most annoying when used in this fashion:

"Then he was like 'lets go to the mall!' and I was like 'Sure!' and he was like 'O.K'"

Also when the kids talk in questions when the statement is NOT a question is very annoying.

10. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

I do this. :slinkaway
    Even I am bothered by it.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My mother was all over me the minute "like" or "you know" came out of my mouth so I never really got started down that path.

The typical teenage sass word I really hate is "whatever...." - my husband says it sometimes and I go through the roof.

In law school, they drummed "um" out of us - just pause and think, don't make noise.

On my own, I worked on eliminating "stuff" and "stuff like that" from my business meeting vocabulary. It just isn't a precise or sophisticated term.

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Another thing I am not fond of is using "shut-up!" instead of "no way!" or "really?" The first time I heard that, I thought the person was really telling me to shut up.

13. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I used to say "whatever" to my dad a lot when I was a teen. Most of the time, it was code for "Feck off." :p

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That is how I interpret it too.

15. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

To do that, you have to use "like" appropriately, re: grammar. "Like" has a meaning that's sort of like "um" and "approximately", in this sense, so correcting the above:

"Like, how are you, like, doing? I mean, like, what are you doing, like, now? Do you need me to, like, pick you up? When will you, like, be home? That's, like, nice. See ya, like, later..." ;) :lol:

My MBA program did that for me. It was probably the best thing I learned there.

16. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I'm totally guilty of this :shuffle::slinkaway

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

And it's *fine* in colloquial speech, when used with your peer group/friends/in a casual environment, especially if that's how your listeners and you both naturally speak. The issue, IMO, isn't that such slang shouldn't be used - it's that the speaker needs to be aware of, and in control of, such things, and only use them where appropriate - or at least be able to *not* use them when aren't appropriate. I mean, if I were speaking to my boss, I'd leave out the "likes". But if I were, like, talking to, like, my sister? No biggie.

18. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

For me it was student teaching. My evaluator tallied my "ums" the first time he came to see me teach. That was quite the eye opener.

I used to have a Spanish teacher that said "ah" all the time. We counted them when we were bored, and the number in an hour was ridiculous; something close to 100.

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

It bothers me a lot. And people don't realize that they are doing it. DH started using "like" intensely 2 or 3 years ago. I've decided that there are bigger things to worry about.

20. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

my name is jamesy and I also abuse "like" :slinkaway

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  21. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

My name is manhn and I abuse "no problem" instead of saying "you're welcome."

22. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I remember during the 08 Olympics, just about every USA woman's gymnast they interviewed started off the answer to every question with, "ummm, you know....." It drove me nuts!

23. Nan

Nan Just me

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward overcoming it. ;) :lol:

24. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Tara Lipinski used to have a habit during interviews where she would use the word "you" when she was really answering a question that was about her. I used to want to reach through my TV screen and just slap her every time she did that.

I hope she's gotten rid of that, seeing as how she is now a commentator.

25. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

But, CAN you actually control it? Most people who use "like" every other word when talking to their friends also use it in all their conversations, with everyone. They've gotten subconsciously trained to use this word over and over again, and need serious practice to stop using it. Can you turn the fountain of "like" on and off? (If so....why would you ever turn it on? Have you LISTENED to yourself when you talk like this?)

To answer the original question....your daughter probably doesn't realize how many times she is using the word "like". You might recommend that she actually think about it or record her and count the "likes". It is pandemic in colleges, and they do "grow out of it" eventually, but the sooner she is made aware of it, the better.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  26. LisaS

LisaS New Member

I can turn swearing on and off. While I don't swear a lot, I definitely don't with my Parents or in certain situations at work but with my friends if I feel the need I let it go.

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I blame it all on the song "Valley Girl" by Frank Zappa. 1982. It started us all off on the "like" thing; drove our dad nuts!!

28. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

It's, like, an addiction. :slinkaway

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

Really?

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Whatever....

My brother says "but, uh" or "but, er" instead of "um" and the first few times I hear it, I think he is asking for butter. He lives in Tahoe so I don't see him that often.