Get Your Preak On: 138th Running of the Preakness Stakes

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by danceronice, May 18, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

About two hours, give or take, until Orb tries to capture the second leg of the Triple Crown. Nine starters, Orb breaking from the #1 hole. Will Itsmyluckyday have better luck on a track that will likely be no worse than good this time? Rosie Napravnik is on her home track with Mylute. Gary Stevens rides Oxbow again and he's won this race before as has trainer D. Wayne Lukas. Or is the fact everyone seems to be half-conceding to Orb a sign he's really that good? Even on TVG, where they're usually not as dumb about it as NBC (where it doesn't matter who wins the Derby, we get "CAN HE WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN?!?" even when no sane person would really believe it) most of the handicappers are admitting the choice is "Who do we use in the exacta with Orb?"

2. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed No triple crown this year. Again. :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Good race. Sad Orb couldn't pull it off, but loved that I had IMLD and Mylute. I see Oxbow with his Awesome Again/Tiznow pedigree, a nice bet for the Belmont. Not too sure if Shug will send Orb. Shug's conservative and may want to rest him and await Saratoga's races. Can't wait to see Revolutionary back.

4. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

I unexpectedly ended up betting on the Preakness this year, after tagging along with some coworkers who placed some bets at the local turf club. Don't ask me how but I bet $10 on Oxbow to show. So, I won something but I have no idea what. :lol: I guess I'll find out when I go to cash in next week when I'm back at work.

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Race Chart

You won 34.00 on your bet! Congrats.

6. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

That is too funny! Beginner's luck. :)

7. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

What a great day for Gary Stevens!

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm sure if he comes out sound they'll run Orb in the Belmont--he's a closer, plus IIRC he's based there and liking the track is critical for Belmont.

I was kind of hoping if there was an "upset" (yeah, he was even money practically but for being a Derby winner) it would be Rosie and MyLute, but I'll take the old geezers with Oxbow! ;) Wonder if D. Wayne's gonna swap riders again on Will Take Charge or point him to some GIIs, IIIs, or ungradeds. He didn't get any excuses this time with condition or crowding. And I bet Goldencents goes back to California.

It's too bad Calumet's new owners didn't/weren't able to buy their colors along with the farm--devil red and blue would look pretty on that weather vane!

I was going to suggest a drinking game when coverage switched to NBC for how many times someone tried to make the phrase "new shooters" a thing (with Tom Hammond saying it as "so-called 'new shooters'" with the quotation marks audible only requiring a sip as he clearly thinks it sounds stupid, too). But I realized even if one limited oneself to the supremely girly Black-Eyed Susan (man up and drink a julep, wimps, though as my brother in New York said, at least it's not the Belmont Breeze) you'd die of liver failure before post time. I felt like it was "Mean Girls"--"Stop trying to make fetch happen!"