German Travel Plans: Weiden?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2012.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

A friend is planning a trip to see her son in Weiden, Germany. She's planning on flying into Frankfurt and take the train to Weiden, and it seems like there is a direct train route.

She wanted to fly out of Prague, but there doesn't seem to be a direct train from Weiden to Prague. Her son is working on her travel dates, and can't take her to or from the airport

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience travelling in this region? Would she be best to just skip Prague and try to fly back out of Frankfurt? Any particular suggestions on things she should try to see in the region?

She's very excited about this trip, but a little nervous as well, so I thought I'd check here just to see if anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

You can get from Weiden to Prague by train with only one transfer, which shouldn't be too bad. Have you looked at bahn.de?

3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Deutsche Bahn (the German railway operator) has excellent timetables that show you step by step, train by train, platform by platform, what itineraries are possible and what connections to make. I've been to Germany (and even adjacent countries) several times now and always used the Deutsche Bahn website for their timetables. In conjunction with a Eurail pass, it's always good to know that if I miss a train (or am early for one) what options there are so I can get to my next destination in the least amount of time. I've even purchased reserved-seating tickets ahead of time and had the tickets mailed (or downloaded) to me in the US.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml